Search for content in message boards

The Putman [Pootman] Family and the De Plater Family in Europe

Replies: 5

Re: The Putman [Pootman] Family and the De Plater Family in Europe

Posted: 22 Jul 2013 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Heimsaeer, Heimplaetzer
I have been doing some research per several surnames around the Hemmerde, Westfalen, Germany. The LDS FamilySearch web site has put the indexes of Hemmerde Churches on-line with images to come.

Doing a quick search, there are a few Poot births - no 'man' at the end. The search hasn't turned up any 'De Plater' names for Hemmerde. But that could be due to that not close enough to the spelling in the search.

Two things which you should be aware of
1) Hemmerde is close enough to Luenern and to Flierich that there was some exchange of citizens
2) That region used Hofnames into the 1800's. Families would change the last name to match the estate/farm name).
They would put a 'gen.' between the last name born with and the newly acquired estate's last name.

A lot of other regions went to the Nachnames - inheriting the surname rather than the estate name a lots earlier. (Germans used occupations for surnames but that would have a lots of people with the surname of Farmer.)

I am looking for Heimsaeer, Heimplaetzer, Kettwichter, ... from that region. I haven't seen any my surnames marrying into the Poot's.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mark Putnam 18 Mar 2010 7:50PM GMT 
Mark Putnam 18 Mar 2010 8:14PM GMT 
Mark Putnam 4 Oct 2010 12:36AM GMT 
gwk404 23 Jul 2013 3:29AM GMT 
Mark Putnam 24 Jul 2013 5:56PM GMT 
gwk404 26 Jul 2013 11:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic