Search for content in message boards

William Putman of 1788 Hanover, NJ.

Replies: 1

Re: William Putman of 1788 Hanover, NJ.

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 2:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pottman, Putman, Putnam, Swayze, Sheldon, Darling, Stoll, Dunn, Snyder
I have more information on William Putman of Hanover and the descendants of John Davidse Pottman.
The chart listed at the end of this narrative below shows what I have surmised on this line.
At an early date likely before 1700, a William Darling arrived in New Jersey and his descendants included a Thomas and Samuel Darling.
The surname Darling is a very interesting name to me.
John Davidse Pottman/Putman/Putman seems to have had a daughter Elizabeth Putman who married Samuel Swayze and removed to Nanchez, Mississippi in the mid 1700’s. Among their children were Samuel Putnam Swayze and Daniel Darling Swayze.
The middle name “Darling” I have assumed came from an early relative with the last same name.
I have always guessed that Johannes or John David Pottman married a Darling who was the daughter of a Daniel Darling, but I have found that there was a William Putman who is listed in the Hanover, Morris Co., NJ, Tax Lists in the 1780’s.
From this general area also was derived William Putman Sheldon who was born later in 1815 in Licking, Ohio. His parents were Huldah Thorpe and Thomas J. Sheldon, Jr., who was the son of Thomas J. Sheldon and an Unknown Putnam likely born in [Hanover], Morris Co., NJ, about 1770.
This Unknown Putman was likely a daughter of William Putman of Hanover, Morris Co., NJ, who was born about 1737 and was likely a son of John Davidse Pottman born in 1714 in NJ.
I recently research the Darling family of early New Jersey and found two Darling’s who were in the American Revolutionary War a William Darling of Hanover, NJ, and Thomas Darling of nearby Mendham, NJ.
It seems likely then that John Davidse Putman married a daughter of a William Darling of Hanover.
The William Darling mentioned above in Hanover in the Revolutionary War list may have been her brother and a son of an earlier William Darling, Sr.
The following is what I surmise in chart form:
David Janse Pottman. Born in 1686, he lived in Potterstown, NJ.
Married likely second Elizabeth Beeckman.
….. Johannes Davidse Pottman/Putman/Putnam. He was born about 1714 in Middletown, Monmouth Co., NJ, lived in Potterstown, NJ, and removed to Hanover, NJ.
…… Married a Ms. Darling of Hanover, NJ, who was a daughter of William Darling.
………. William Putman. Born in NJ about 1737, lived in Hanover, Morris Co., NJ, and married an Unknown lady.
……………. Unknown Daughter Putman. She married Thomas J. Sheldon.
……………….. William Putnam Sheldon. Born 1815 in Licking, OH.
……………..… Others.
………. Elizabeth Putman. Born about 1741, married Samuel Swayze of Roxbury, NJ, and removed to MS.
…………… Samuel Putnam Swayze.
…………… Daniel Darling Swayze.
…………… Others.
………. John Putman. He was born about 1750, married a Sina who last name is unknown, and died in Hardyston, NJ, in the 1790’s.
…………… John Potman/Putman. He married Jane Stoll, lived in Hardyston, Sussex Co., NJ, and removed to Schuyler Co., NY.
…………… Henry Putman. Married Sarah Dunn. Died in Seneca Co.., NY.
…………… Margaret. Married Capt. William Snyder of Sussex Co., NJ.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mark Putnam 10 Jul 2013 4:18AM GMT 
Mark Putnam 12 Jul 2013 8:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions