Search for content in message boards

William Putman of 1788 Hanover, NJ.

Replies: 1

William Putman of 1788 Hanover, NJ.

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 10:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Jul 2013 10:21PM GMT
Surnames: Putman, Putnam, Pottman, Swayze, Sheldon, Tharp, Thorp
There was a Thomas Sheldon born in New Jersey in 1789 who married Huldah Tharp/Thorp.

They had a son named William Putnam Sheldon born in 1815 in Ohio.

Huldah was born in Morris Co., NJ.

To make a long story short, there was a William Putmon who was listed in the 1788 tax List - Hanover Township, Morris County, NJ.

I am starting to believe that William of 1788 Hanover, NJ, was a son of John Putman the son of David Pottman of Potterstown, NJ, and that this William Putman was the grandfather of William Putnam Sheldon.

My ancestor my great grandfather William C. Putman's parents were from New Jersey. I'm not definately sure if he was a descendant of Peter Putman of Sandyston, NJ, or John Putman of Hardyston, NJ,[or even a descendant William Putman of Hanover, NJ, which seems less likely].

William Putman of Hanover, NJ, may only have had girls as children and did not have a son. That seems likely.

Both Peter and John Putman lived near one another in Steuben and Yates Counties, NY, about 1820-1830.

Peter comes down it appears from Victor Davidse Pottman another assumed son of David Pottman.

Victor's elusive brother John Davidse Putman is somewhat hard to trace, but it appears he is John Putman, Sr., the father of John Putman, Jr., of Hardyston, NJ, which is really not that far from Hanover, NJ.

John Putman I and II seem both to have descendants named William Putman while Peter Putman does not.

Another child of John Putman, it appears was Elizabeth Putman Swayze the ancestor of William Patrick Swayze.

So, it would appear, I would guess, that John Davidse Putman the assumed son of David Pottman had at least three children: William, Elizabeth, and John II.

John Putman, Sr., the husband of Sina or Lina left a will in about 1790 in Newton, NJ, and shows with a son named John Putman, Jr., who I assume was John Putman who married Jane Stoll and removed to Steuben Co., NY, before 1810 where he is listed as John Potman.

Though there is no record of it or a tradition, I think John and Jane Stoll Putman also had a son named John Putman who may possibly be the father of William C. Putman.

The 1830 Census of Steuben Co., NY, may show this John Putman born about 1805.

Peter Victorse Putman had a son named John Putman, too, who also lived in Steuben Co., NY, in 1830, and went to Canada about 1834 the year William C. Putman was born [in New York].

William C. Putman worked on the Welland Canal in Ontario, Canada, and as a young man he removed to Tuscola Co., MI,where I now live.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mark Putnam 10 Jul 2013 4:18AM GMT 
Mark Putnam 12 Jul 2013 8:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions