Search for content in message boards

QUICK-AFRICAN AMERICAN-MARLBORO SC

Replies: 90

Re: QUICK-AFRICAN AMERICAN-MARLBORO SC

Posted: 24 Apr 2011 3:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Apr 2011 3:33AM GMT
Surnames: Quick
The first non-white Quick recorded in Marlboro County records is Annice Quick, who was listed as a free woman of color heading a household of 11 people on the U.S. Census of 1800. I believe she was my 4G grandmother. My 3G grandfather was Willis Quick. By process of elimination, I believe he came from Annice Quick (all the other Quicks were listed as white and had wills: Willis was not listed as an heir of any of their wills. Willis lived in Hamlet, NC, where the census records him as a white man. But later he lived in Cherokee County, AL, where he was listed as mulatto.

The "white" Quicks of Marlboro County in 1790 are now known in Quick genealogy as the "Marlboro Five." They were joined on the 1800 census by Annice and by Solomon, also listed as white. The M-5 and Solomon and their heirs all went on to be major slaveholders. Many of the slaves were likely blood relatives of the masters, because that's the way it was.

The "true" racial identity of the "white" Quicks is very much in question. "The History of the Old Cheraws" written in the mid-1800s identifies the Quicks as Indians who were loyal to the patriots in the Revolution, and were therefore afforded the status of whites. The author noted that their appearance had been "greatly refined by intermarriage with whites." They may have been descended from a Thomas Quick who registered his family in Bertie Co, NC. The first names of that Thomas's family seem to repeat in the Marlboro Co Quicks, including an Anne. I think that Anne and Annice might be the same, and it wouldn't be at all surprising if she were a freed Black slave or an Indian woman. Thomas seems to have been sent as a young orphaned boy from Plymouth, England, sentenced to indentured servitude. If this is true, not just our black ancestors but also our white patriarch came over in bondage. Whites, of course, were often freed. Blacks were only rarely freed.

Annice may have been a freed slave or she may have been an Indian woman. Willis was sufficiently light-skinned that he was identified as white in NC and SC, but mulatto in GA. Willis's wife was identified by one of her grandchildren in later documents (an application for money for a Cherokee settlement from the Guion-Miller Commission) as a Pigee Indian. Almost certainly, this means she is descended from the Indians who now call themselves Pee Dee Indians in Marlboro Co. The descendent was claiming Cherokee blood through Willis, but was rejected as this is probably not correct.

Incidentally, there was apparently a case of a Quick voting in Louisiana, who was called into court on the charge that he was Indian, and therefore not able to vote. His defense was that he was mulatto and free and therefore able to vote. He won.

I think when researching African American Quick ancestry in Marlboro County it's probably going to be useful to figure out if the ancestors were free or slave during the time of slavery ,and how much Indian?

I have always been idenitified as white, but I was also told my father that my ancestry was far more racially complicated than that, and not just white.

My grandfather Sultan Quick ended up in Mississippi and served as the literary model for the character Solon Quick. Both my grandfather and the Solon character were racists. There's an amazing irony there.

We Quicks are an amazing American family and our history has much to say about who America is, in my humble opinion.

I went to college in New England. People laughed when they met me and wondered if I was related to a Quick that was already there. She was "black" and I was "white," but we definitely shared a family resemblance and her ancestry went back to SC. I've also had a lot of people ask me if jokingly ask if I'm related to Mike Quick from the Philadelphia Eagles, to which my answer has always been "Yeah, probably."

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
debquick 24 Sep 2000 10:37AM GMT 
mik267 12 Feb 2011 3:06AM GMT 
mnburns845 6 Jul 2011 7:50PM GMT 
mik267 6 Jul 2011 8:45PM GMT 
mnburns845 6 Jul 2011 8:52PM GMT 
mik267 7 Jul 2011 12:11AM GMT 
mnburns845 7 Jul 2011 1:53AM GMT 
llarcenia 11 Jul 2013 7:36PM GMT 
pdquick_1 24 Apr 2011 9:02AM GMT 
mnburns845 6 Jul 2011 7:56PM GMT 
per page