Search for content in message boards

James Radford VA ETC. ETC

Replies: 40

Re: James Radford - Franklin County Va and george

Posted: 15 Sep 2004 9:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Debbie, Sandra, Jean, and everyone else who is researching the Franklin County Radfords. My aunt Ruth transcribed lots of cemeteries in the regions surrounding Roanoke. She probably recorded the Radford Cemetery as a favor to me. While visting the Vest cemetery, with my father, just before he died, two men were placing a grave stone in the cemetery. I asked if they had ever heard of a Radford Cemetery, and they gave directions to the cemtery on Rt 888. One mentioned that there was an older Radford cemetery, back in the woods, about a uarter of a mile away from the Radford Cemetery.
I told aunt Ruth about that conversation. She was a very friendly and outgoing person. She would often stop along country roads, and knock on doors of homes in regions of interest. By doing that, she confirmed that there was an older Radford cemtery which is pretty much grown over. Not a task for city people. We tentatively agreed to go up to the place for which she was given directions. Three problems: I live in Maryland, finding the grave did not have high enough priority at that time (I was still killing Communists), and My Aunt died, taking the directions with her. Perhaps someone else could knock on some doors, find directions, and do the hard work of finding and recording any available data that still remains. Although some of James Tazewell Radford's children are buried in other cemeteries, some, although they lived and died in Franklin/Floyd counties, are not buried in other known Franklin?Floyd County cemeteries. The Radford's, and their extended family, started using the Rt 888 cemtery in the 1860's. Many of those who died before that time, which includes James snr. and Mary, are very likely buried in the older cemetery.
Maybe they started using the new cemtery because it was more accessible, or maybe they sold the land on which the old cemetery was located. If someone knew how to do it, another good hint, lacking directions from those who might know, might be to determine the lands which the Radford's owned during those times. According to the Franklin/Floyd County map provided for the internet, there is a Radford Road that circles around near the Rt 888 cemetery. When James Tazewell Radford Senior first came to Franklin County, he bought a large track of land, probably some of it from his cousins, who were moving out of the county. The land he purchased began down over the mountain along Runnet Bag Creek and went to the top of the mountain, west of where the Blue Ridge Parkway is now located. Someone good with deeds research and local geography may be able to locate the probable, approximate location of the older cemetery. It is easy for me to think of things to do, while sitting comfortably in Maryland on a rainy day, waiting for hurricane Ivan to come ashore. Maybe this extended message can provide some clues and incentive for someone to become a hero for Radford researchers. God bless!. Cousin Bernie Radford lastradford@yahoo.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sandy jean 5 Jul 2003 1:11AM GMT 
bernard radfo... 4 Dec 2003 3:51AM GMT 
sandra jean boyd 4 Dec 2003 4:09PM GMT 
radford, bernie 4 Dec 2003 4:32PM GMT 
DebbieGS 5 Dec 2003 6:57PM GMT 
bernie radfordc 5 Dec 2003 7:47PM GMT 
Debbie 6 Dec 2003 4:01AM GMT 
sandra boyd 6 Dec 2003 12:46PM GMT 
Debbie 7 Dec 2003 8:06PM GMT 
bernard radfo... 15 Sep 2004 3:44PM GMT 
per page