Search for content in message boards

Clues from Dr. James Americus Ragan's handwritten journal

Replies: 0

Clues from Dr. James Americus Ragan's handwritten journal

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 9:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ragan, Regan, Reagan, Ragin, Ragon
I find the missing clues from the handwritten journal of Dr. James Americus Ragan/Reagan recently. This Dr. James Americus Ragan/Reagan was Methodist preacher according from my research correspondents.

Several items were gleaned from Dr. James Amercius Ragan's hand-written journal.
1.) It mentioned "cousin, F. Hood."
[My Note: This "F. Hood" was Francis Marion Hood, son of Nathaniel Hood and Abigail Ragan. *Abigail Ragan was the sister to Daniel Wright Ragan, father of Dr. James Americus Ragan.]

2.) It mentioned "Uncle John Reagan." "He is a very aged man."
[My Note: This "Uncle John Reagan" was John Reagan (b 1772) who married Eliza Jane Hood. He was living in 1850 Federal Census of Blount County, Tennessee. And he was the son of Darby Daniel and Elizabeth ?Wright? Ragan. *John Ragan was the eldest brother to Daniel Wright Ragan, father of Dr. James Americus Ragan.]

3.) It mentioned "cousin, James Swan."
[My Note: This "cousin James Swan" was James Denny Swan. He was married to Isabella G. Ragan, daughter of Nathaniel Hood and Abigail Ragan. *Abigail Ragan was the sister to Daniel Wright Ragan, father of Dr. James Americus Ragan.

With all the clue that I have gotten from Dr. James Americus Ragan's handwritten journal, it has convinced me that I was on the right track. So, I have gotten the family of Darby Daniel Ragan and his wife Elizabeth ?Wright? straighten out now.

I have corresponded with several direct descendants of Daniel Wright Ragan (son of Darby Daniel Ragan) and his wife Elizabeth Scruggs. I have been given the photocopy of the source which showed the name of his grandfather. The name of Dr. James Americus Ragan's grandfather is Darby Ragan. And, the copy of 1889 letter to John Henninger Reagan (my Ragan/Reagan relative) mentioned the family story from Dr. James Americus Ragan about his father's family. With these information, I was able to link all data from four areas; namely, Berkeley County, Virginia; Rockingham County, Virginia; Greene County, Tennessee; and Blount County, Tennessee for the family of Darby Daniel Ragan and his wife Elizabeth ?Wright?.

I thought I better share what I have found so found on the family of Darby Daniel Ragan [brother to Timothy Ragan, III - Revolutionary War soldier (my direct ancestor)]. There are a lot of other sources that I was able to put it all together on that Darby Daniel Ragan's family too.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions