Search for content in message boards

Connection between Ramseys of New Hampshire and Quebec?

Replies: 2

Connection between Ramseys of New Hampshire and Quebec?

Posted: 4 Sep 2009 5:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ramsey/Ramsay, Wells, Placey
I am researching the family of my 2G-Grndfather, Thomas Wells Ramsey, who was born in Quebec, probably in or near Durham, on 23 Jan 1846. His father was Thomas Jefferson Ramsey, born in Quebec in 9 Jun 1823. I have quite a bit of information about the descendents of this family, but have not been able to find any solid information about the parents of Thomas Jefferson Ramsey.

My research suggests that the Ramsey/Ramsay family of Quebec may be a branch of the New Hampshire Ramsey family. This is based on given and family names that are consistent between the families in and around Rumney, Grafton, NH and the Durham/Shipton area in Quebec, and migration patterns of some New Hampshire families. My information is:

Thomas Jefferson Ramsey: b. 9 Jun 1823 in Quebec. Married Nancy Louise Placey on 3 Feb 1845, Durham, Quebec. Witnesses included Thomas Ramsey and George Ramsey. Might assume that Thomas is the father, but there is no indication of a mother. This may be the same Thomas Ramsey who later married Margaret Goodhue, however, Margaret was born about 1813 and is therefore too young to be the mother of Thos. Jefferson Ramsey.

Dorothy Ann Ramsey: b. 5 Oct 1836 in Durham, married Franklin Placey.

George Sherburne Ramsey: Married Keziah Cross 5 Aug 1834. Witnesses included William P. (T.?) Ramsey. Sherburne families are also found in early probate records of Hillsborough Co. NH.

Polly Euphemia Ramsey: b. Jun 1922 in Quebec. Married George Alexander Placey. The name Euphemia appears several times in the NH Ramsey line. William (s/o Hugh and Ann) married Euphemia Moore and named a dau. Euphemia. There is also a Euphemia who was the dau. of James and Ann Ramsey of Rumney.

Peleg Slocum Ramsey: b. 1808-9 in Quebec. Married Mary Morrill 18 Mar 1833. Witnesses, William Ramsey, and Sabrina Ramsey. James and Ann Ramsey of Rumney had a dau. Sabrina.

Dorothy Ramsey: married James Fields 14 Apr 1842 in Quebec. Witnesses: Selena Ramsey, Jefferson Ramsey, George Ramsey. James and Ann Ramsey of Rumney had a dau. named Selena.

Phebe Wells Ramsey: b. abt. 1808-1815, married William Stirling in Shipton, Quebec on 9 Apr 1841. Since a NH Hugh Ramsey married Phebe Wells, the name Phebe appears several times in the NH line.

Sabrina Ramsey married Edward Fifield Bean on 4 Nov 1833 in Quebec. Both the Fifield and Bean names are found in Rumney, NH. Sabrina and Edward migrated to Lawrence, St. Lawrence, NY with the Thomas Jefferson Ramsey family about 1848-9.

Elizabeth "Betsey" Clarinda Cummings married Jerome Wilson Placey 6 Jul 1846 in Quebec, witnesses incl George and Polly Euphemia (Ramsey) Placey. Betsy Cummings is the dau. of Hubbard (Adams, John) Cummings of NH and VT; her family appears to have migrated to Durham, Quebec before 1825.

There are several Thomas Ramseys in the Durham area, but the one who lead me to the New Hampshire line appears in the 1861 census of Durham, Quebec, age 78, born about 1783 in the U.S. He is the right age to be a son of Hugh, Thomas, Matthew, or James Ramsey who appear in the 1800 census of Rumney. Some researchers show that Hugh Ramsey and Phebe Wells, dau. of Thomas Wells, had a son named Thomas, born in Rumney about 1782. He may have married Dorothy Page about 1806. Because my ancestor's name is Thomas Wells, and a Dorothy Ramsey is part of the the Durham Quebec family, it's tempting to assume that this is the right family, however, I cannot confirm the connection.

If anyone has information that could link the Ramsey family of New Hampshire and Vermont to the family in Quebec, I would be very much interested in corresponding.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mahantnh 4 Sep 2009 11:30PM GMT 
DHaney 11 Oct 2009 10:05PM GMT 
VintageElegan... 17 Feb 2012 7:00AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions