Search for content in message boards

Randolph History

Replies: 114

Re: Randolph History

Posted: 12 May 2010 10:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Charlotte Johnson is a member of the Randolph family site, Her research is posted there. If you want to access her research you must join the site. Randolph at myfamily.com.
Here is some more of my research.

<< Previous Next >>

Pat Wise - May 26, 2003 View | Edit | Delete | ViewersCategories: Descendants of Buncombe/Yancey Co., NC family, Descendants of Edward FitzRandolph & Elizabeth Blossom The Children of Samuel (Fitz) Randolph of Buncombe County NCSamuel Fitz Randolph, Son of Nat. & Rebekah Fitz Randolph,
born at Prince Town, on Saturday I afternoon on May 2, 1741.
SAMUEL FITZ RANDOLPH was the son of NATHANIEL FITZ RANDOLPH and REBEKAH MERSHOM.. He was born in Princeton, NJ. Samuel was married to AMEY EDWARDS on March 6, 1762. He died in 1816 in Jacks Creek Settlement, Buncombe County, North Carolina.Known Children of Samuel and Amey Fitz Randolph are:1st Joseph Born in South Brunswick on Satirday 1:00 in the morning March 26 - 1763 1. JOSEPH RANDOLPH was born in South Brunswick NJ, on, March 26, 1763. Joseph appears in the 1790 Burke Co. NC census next to Ezra Phillips. There are Burke County court records which mention Joseph Randolph - mainly as a juror, until about 1800. After this I have not been able to trace him.2nd Hannah Born in South Brunswick on Monday: 4:00 afternoon April 15 - 17652. HANNAH RANDOLPH was born in South Brunswick on April 15, 1765. Hannah married EZRA PHILLIPS on 15 Sept 1787 in Greasy Cove, Greene County, TN. Ezra Phillips (John , Thomas ) was born 12 Nov 1762 in , Rowan, NC. He died 7 Jul 1836 in Pine Swamp, Ashe County, NC. Hannah died 7 Jul 1839 in Pine Swamp, Ashe County, NC. The Phillip's family lived in from Rowan county in the 1770's, so perhaps Hannah and Ezra knew each other long before their marriage in Greasy Cove, TN. Their marriage is supposedly recorded at the Unicoi County TN courthouse. Hannah's birth is recorded as April 15, 1761 in Greene Co TN in the Ezra Phillips family Bible. Ezra and Hannah Phillips had nine children.3rd Samuel Born in South Brunswick on Sunday Morning after 3:00. Sept. 27 - 17653. SAMUEL RANDOLPH was born in South Brunswick on September 27, 1767. Samuel appears next to his father in the 1790 Rutherford County census. He has a wife but no children at this time. He appears again in the Buncombe Co. 1810 census. Charles Preston Randolph thinks that he was probably the father of WILLIAM RANDOLPH (b. 1796 in NC) of Bledsoe Co. TN, whose descendants have been tested and shown to be of Fitz Randolph descent. I am inclined to agree with him for several reasons. There is a Samuel Randolph who appears in an 1815 Bledsoe TN Tax Census. Also there are two other records of Randolphs in Bledsoe Co. TN - STACEY JANE RANDOLPH (b. 1795) & AMY EMERINE RANDOLPH (b.1816). The census record from 1810 Buncombe Co. NC shows Samuel Jr. to have a boy the age of William and a girl the age of Stacey. Also in the case of Amy Emerine Randolph, Samuel's mother's name was Amy.4th Mary She was born Aug 2nd 1770 at the Atkin River in North Carolina.4. MARY RANDOLPH was born at the Yadkin River in Rowan County, NC on August 22, 1770. There is a Mary Sams who signed Samuel's will in 1815, she may very well have been this daughter. The Sarah Sams who got a cow and a calf in Samuel's will would then be his granddaughter. 5th Daniel Randolph born December 16 - 1772 in Roan County North Carolina
Daniel Randolph Died March 23 1773, With Fitz after name, in Carolina
5. DANIEL RANDOLPH was born in Rowan County NC on Dec. 16 1772. He died March 23, 1773.All of the lines in purple are exact quotes from Nathaniel Fitz Randolph's "Book of Records". Samuel dropped the Fitz part of his name at some point before his father died in 1780, as shown in the record for Daniel. LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF SAMUEL RANDOLPH In the name of God, Amen. I, Samuel Randolph of Jacks Creek settlement County of Buncombe, State of North Carolina, being sick in body but of sound and disposing mind and memory thanks be to God, therefore do this Nineteenth day of December in the year of our Lord, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifteen make this my last will and testament in manner and form following: I give and bequeath unto my wife, Elizabeth and my two daughters Becky and Rachal all and together my personal estate to be equally divided between them, share and share alike and at at my wife's death her share to be at her wished disposal excepting what is hereafter given and bequeathed away. Then I give Sarah Sams cow and calf. Then I give Nancy Phillips one cow and two year old calf to be sold any time in three years after my death. I give House and Plantation whereon I now live to my son Thomas Randolph and to his heirs and assigns forever his mother and Rachal to be maintained by the rents and profits of the plantation grown up and married and I do hereby constitute my wife Elizabeth Randolph or Zepheniah Horton Esq. Executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all other wills and testaments by me heretofore made and this only to be my last will and testament sealed and delivered in the presence of us the who signed or named hereunto sealed and delivered in the presence of .Malcolm McCurry his X mark,Samuel X Randolph his mark,William X Randolph his mark, her mark Mary X Sams State of North Corolina January Fifteenth 1816 Buncome County.The within last will and testament of Samuel Randolph, Dec was proved in open court by William Randolph one of the subscribing witnesses here to Register 22 Jan 1816.As shown by the will above Samuel had at least one other wife - Elizabeth. I have been unable to find out her surname.Known Children of Samuel and Elizabeth Randolph are:1. WILLIAM RANDOLPH was born in 1797 in Buncombe Co. NC. Died in 1870. Buried in Bailey Hills Cemetery. William married Martha Bennet. The descendants of William and Martha Randolph lived in Yancey Co. and are well documented and listed elsewhere on the Randolph site. Although must say that his son Thomas's middle initial was L not R. Thomas was my Great, Great Grandfather. 2. SARAH B. RANDOLPH was born in 1798 in Buncombe Co. NC. Sarah married John Thornburg. I have no children listed for them.3. THOMAS RANDOLPH was born 1805 in Buncombe Co. NC. Thomas married KEZIAH PHILLIPS. The descendants of Thomas and Keziah are also well documented and lived in Yancey County. 4. RACHAL RANDOLPH was born circa 1800 - 1810.5. BECKY RANDOLPH was born circa 1800 - 1810. Other probable children of Samuel Randolph are:1. NANCY RANDOLPH was born 9 Nov 1778 in NC or TN. She married JONATHAN PHILLIPS in Haywood County, NC. Jonathan Phillips was born 23 Feb 1782 in Rowan Co, NC.2. JAMES RANDOLPH was born either in the 1780's or the 1790's in NC or TN. He is probably the father of GEORGE W. RANDOLPH of Yancey County, NC. Descendants of George W. Randolph have proven to be genetically of the Fitz Randolph line. References:1. Nathaniel Fitz Randolph "The Book of Records", an unpublished genealogy manuscript owned by Princeton University. Princeton University owns all rights to this material. It may not be published in any form without their express permission.2. Census Records.3. "Amy Emerine Randolph" a Biography submitted to the USGENWEB of Wayne Co. KY by Betty Lowe Hatter.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
undone1 11 May 2010 10:27PM GMT 
judyatkisson7... 12 May 2010 12:36AM GMT 
wisecat100 12 May 2010 4:23AM GMT 
wisecat100 12 May 2010 4:05PM GMT 
hoydia 4 Mar 2013 6:25PM GMT 
BillRandle62 1 Sep 2013 2:49AM GMT 
Janice_Tremee... 3 Sep 2010 9:26PM GMT 
shawncurtis84 22 Aug 2008 1:43PM GMT 
shawncurtis84 22 Aug 2008 3:29PM GMT 
shawncurtis84 22 Aug 2008 7:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions