Search for content in message boards

RaperAncestors.com

Replies: 0

RaperAncestors.com

Betty Merle (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2005 6:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
From: "Betty Merle" <bettymerle@sbcglobal.net> -- Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 17:36:07 -0700
Subject: RaperAncestors.Com

I have just converted to Family Tree Maker 2005. A new Family Tree should be on the website within a day or two. The new version displays info in a new format, so I'm not sure how it will work on the website. It may look the same.

I have made a few changes to existing info. Kay Armstrong and I recently spent a week in Charleston SC digging in old records. What a beautiful city!!
We have two ancestors associated with Charleston. Robert Raper, the Charleston lawyer who had extensive business dealings there - and many records. John Raper, his brother, and who is believed to be the father of William Raper b. 1725 who settled in Abbotts Creek NC.

In 1731, John gave power of attorney to his brother, Robert, and disappears. Acting on hunches and educated guesses, Delilah Elsen began looking for John in Barbados. We know there was much trading between Barbados and the Carolinas in 1700s. She found a marriage record John Raper to Catherine Harwood, St. Thomas Parish, Oct. 16, 1724. The info I originally had on file for John came from
some very early work of Rebecca Austin's. While in Charleston, we found a deed for John Raper, vintner, and wife Catherine. The word vintner is important as it is used often in conjunction with our John.

I don't expect all of you to be interested in these technicalities. I just want to assure you that when a substantial change is made, especially in the early generations, it is because there is evidence to support it. The family tree has grown so much that it is impossible for me to monitor every entry. I try to respond to inquiries as I can. When someone submits info on their own branch of the tree, they give me supporting info, and I am comfortable changing it. Just
not the info for ancestors past William Raper b. 1725. Remember, the website is just a starting point. Most of the info has been submitted by other researchers. It should never be substituted for your own research.

I wish I could spend more time with the genealogy. I really do miss it.

If you are having a Raper reunion (or know of one), don't forget to post it on the website.

Hope all is well with each of you.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions