Search for content in message boards

James Edward Read married to Jane Derrick

Replies: 1

Re: James Edward Read married to Jane Derrick

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Read, Derrick
Hi Jessica. I think you've already seen all the info I have, but I'll put it out here anyway for anyone else who comes across it...

James [Edward] Read was born 1831, in Oxenpill, Meare, Somerset. His ancestors had been in Somerset area for at least a hundred years. His parents were John Read and Sarah Mills, both of whom were born sometime in the 1790s. He had at least 5 sisters and a brother. In mid 1853 he married Jane Derrick*, also from Somerset [1831-1912]. In 1855 they & their two year old firstborn (John Read) left Plymouth on the ship Cairngorm for Victoria, Australia. James made a life in St Arnaud as a farmer and had ten more children including my ancestor James Read (1859 – 1924). James died 1909 and Jane 1912, at the ages of 78 and 81 respectively, and their death indexes say they died in St Agnes, although I have a family bible of their son's that says St Arnaud - I do not know if this is a discrepancy or actually the same place.

*I have also found census of a young Jane Derrick with a family here - http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1841&... - it could be her but I can't confirm.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jessica Owens 30 Jul 2012 1:01AM GMT 
Kaitlyn444 2 Nov 2012 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic