Replies: 3

Re: John Red Cloud

Karen Conger-Helwig (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2000 12:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jun 2005 10:55PM GMT
Mr Cates
Please, can you go to this site
http://gowest.coalliance.org:8080/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?resultsScre...

(message from my mother)
this is the web site for "my" indian chief's photo. he is located on pg
10 of search term "Dakota indians 1880-1900" search type "keyword"
in case you get lost, although this should take you there. He is # 94
"warrior in bonnet wearing 1871 US Grant peace medal. also take a look
at #92 and # 93 and compare the head bands. click on photo to enlarge,
then go back and click on writing on right side and it willl take you to their info.
Mr. Cates
can you tell me if you recognize the man #94 in the photo? Why is his headdress the same as the men on number 92 and 93. It is the same headdress and if you look at the feathers, isn't it the very same headdress as number 94 is wearing? Isn't Red Cloud in one of those photos wearing a striped shirt ,the same shirt as the man in the warrior bonnet?
The resaon for my question is that my mother has a detoriated copy of this photo that came from my greatgrandmother's belongings. Written on the back of that photo, it says "Ada's Cousin". Ada was my greatgrandmothers Mother. We are attempting to identify this man in the photo.
My mother sent our copy to Washington D.C. but they could not read the marks on the band. Now that my mother found a copy of that photo is this web site we found from the Denver Library, We now can see those markings. I think it is Oglala/Lakota Sioux markings. Do you recognize the markings yourself? Or the man. If you do not, do you know someone who can identify him?
I do hope you or anyone can help us. We have tried to contact Chief Oliver Red Cloud on this information, we were asked to not contact him ever again after seeing this photo and a photo of our Mary R. Wing who married Joseph Musick Dillon. We also have photo of Mary and her sister named Minnie (almenia ?)
Please, can you help us?
Can you Please contact me at Helennails@hotmail.com if you do recognize the man in the photo.
With Friendly Greetings
Karen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Thomas Cates 4 Oct 1999 1:08AM GMT 
Karen Conger-Helwig 12 Jul 2000 6:44AM GMT 
katoclark2000 1 Jan 2011 4:53AM GMT 
jeromehusfelt 12 Sep 2013 9:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic