Search for content in message boards

Reids from Tennessee and Blount Co. Al

Replies: 16

Re: Reids from Tennessee and Blount Co. Al

Posted: 11 May 2003 11:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
By chance does this look like the Reid line you are inquiring about? If so, email me direct: The Dennis you are speaking of is #24 in this chart

whiteroof@hotmail.com

Kaye

Here is a little of what I have on this line:

Descendants of John Reid

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN7 REID (ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born 1730 in Northern Ireland, and died 1816 in Iredell Co., North Carolina. He married MARY/LUTA WOODS Abt. 1749. She was born 1731.

Notes for JOHN REID:
From Genealogy of the Cloyd Basye and Tapp Families
Author: A. D. Cloyd, M.D.
Call Number CS71.C645
"Among the pioneers of Augusta County, Va., were three brothers of Scottish Extraction who came from County Down in Ireland, where they were born. They were Thomas, John and Andrew Reid. Thomas the oldest, married a highland woman, named McKean, and had three sons, Col. John Reid, Jr., Nathan and Alexander. Col. John married Martha, and Nathan, Sarah, daughters of their Uncle John. Alexander moved to Kentucky and he or his son, represented Shelby County in the legislature in 180l. For fu further account of the Reids, see 'Historic Families of Kentucky" Green."

I believe this is the same John Reid who was selected as the first Sheriff of Amherst, Virginia. of which Joseph Cabell was one of the securities, in about 1751. (Cabells and their Kin p 132)

In the 1762 Feb Deed Book 10, P. 425 (Jeremiah Hadley of Orange County, North Carolina, to John Reid of Amherst L42, 10, 0. 115 acres patented to James Patton, 3 Nov 1750 and conveyed to Joshua Hadley and devised by Joshua to Jeremiah, on James River. Testee: Alex Reid, Thos. Henderson, Alexander Reid Jr., John Lyon. Proved by Witness. To Be Delivered, Thomas Reid, May 1765.
Also listed in the "History of Rockbridge Co. Virginia" by Oren F. Morton page 358

"Hadley, Jeremiah, of Orange Co. North Carolina - to John Reed, 215 patented by James Patton - 42P 10S- 1762- North side of James."

1755 Albemarle Co. Va. John Reid Sheriff

Iredell County, NC, Will Book I:401 - John Reed, 9 Nov 1816, probated Feb 1817. Wife: Mary. Sons: James, David, John, Alexander, Samuel, George. Daughters: Margaret Dobbins and Mary Beggarly. Witnesses: Abner Caldwell, Isaac Green, Joseph Summers.

Will of John Reid, written on 9 Nov 1816
Copy on file at the North Carolina Department of Archives and History, Raleigh, NC)

"In the name of God, Amen. I, John Reid, of Iredell County and State of
North Carolina, being frail and low in state of body, but of sound mind and
memory and calling to mind the mortality of the body and knowing that it is
appointed for all men to die do make, pronounce and declare this my last
will and testament in the following manner and form:

Item: I give and bequeath to my loving wife Mary Reid all my estate, both
real and personal during her natural lifetime or widowhood.

Item: I give and bequeath to my son James all my tract of land where I now
live, my wagons and two beds, and furniture. Also my farming utensils, my
sorrel mare, two cows, his own share of the hogs and a third of the sheep.
Also my Negroes Rachel, Harry, Abner, Jefferson and Madison, and all the
increase of the above mentioned Negroes, all which property my son James is
to be in full possession of at his mother's death.

Item: I will and bequeath to my daughter Mary Beggarly my Negro wench
Sally.

Item: I give and bequeath to my son David Reid 225 acres of land lying on
Elk River in the state of Tennessee. Also I will my Negro boy Miles to my
son David.

Item: I allow my three Negroes namely Dine, Amos and Nelson to be equally
divided between my six children, viz., John, Alexander, Samuel, David,
George Reid, and Margaret Dobbins. I allow the remainder of my property
both real and personal to be sold and all my just debts to be paid and
funeral expenses and the remainder to be equally divided between my
children, viz., John, Alexander, Samuel, David, George and James Reid,
Margaret Dobbins and Mary Beggarly.

Item: I ordain, constitute and appoint David Reid and James Reid, my sons,
executors of my last will and testament thusly disavowing all other former
wills, deeds, and testaments heretofore made or done and ratify and confirm
this and not other to be my last will and testament in testimony whereof, I
have hereto put my hand

More About JOHN REID and MARY/LUTA WOODS:
Marriage: Abt. 1749

Children of JOHN REID and MARY/LUTA WOODS are:
2. i. JOHN8 REID, b. August 25, 1750, Of Nelson Co. Virginia, Now Amherst; d. June 29, 1816, Otter Creek, Madison Co., Kentucky.
3. ii. ALEXANDER REID, b. 1758.
4. iii. SAMUEL REID, b. 1761, Iredell Co. North Carolina/Or/Pennsylvania; d. 1805, Blount Co, Tennessee.
5. iv. DAVID REID, b. May 29, 1764, Iredell Co., North Carolina; d. April 24, 1840, Kentucky or Tennessee.
v. GEORGE REID, b. 1766, Iredell Co., North Carolina.
vi. MARGARET REID, b. 1772, Iredell Co., North Carolina; m. JOHN DOBBINS; b. 1768, Iredell Co., North Carolina.
vii. MARY REID, b. 1776, Iredell Co., North Carolina; m. ??? BAGGERLY; b. 1772, Iredell Co., North Carolina.
6. viii. JAMES REID, b. 1779; d. February 17, Alabama.

Generation No. 2

2. JOHN8 REID (JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1)1 was born August 25, 1750 in Of Nelson Co. Virginia, Now Amherst, and died June 29, 1816 in Otter Creek, Madison Co., Kentucky. He married MARY "POLLY" WOODS2,3 1769 in Albermarle, Virginia, daughter of COLONEL WOODS and SUSANNAH ANDERSON. She was born December 02, 1746 in Albemarle, Virginia, and died October 19, 1828 in Otter Creek, Madison Co., Kentucky.

Notes for JOHN REID:
pg 10
Deed Book "A" pg 93
North Carolina, Iredell County, I, John Reid, have appointed my trusty friend
DAVID REID of the same place, my lawful attorney and to my use and recover
and receive all money, debts, lands, rents, goods &c belonging to me. This
5th April 1810. Witnesses: Joseph Guy, J.P. and Wm Simonton, J.P.
Reg: 8th Dec 1810.

"The subject, John Reid, before coming to Kentucky and whilst living in Albermarle, was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, April 21, 1779." According to SOURCE: "History's and Genealogies" by W. H. Miller; Call number CS71.65 1970
(Of Nelson Co. Formerly of Albermarle, Rowan Co., N. C.)

Note to readers: The citizens of Albermarle Co. Virginia signed a Declaration of Independence on 21 April 1779. Original said to be in the Virginia Historical Society. Along with Thomas Jefferson, the signers included James and
John Reid. For complete list of signers see below

History and Genealogies
Author: W. H. Miller
Call Number: CS71.M65 1907

The following named John Reid's appear on the records.

John Reid, of Caswell County, N. C., in 1810.
John Reid, of Lincoln County, in 1795.
John Reid, of Nelson County, Va. to Archibald Woods and William
Kavanaugh, land and mill on Main Muddy Creek in 1799.
John Reid, senior in 1814, died in 1816. (wife Mary Woods.)

After further searching it was determined that the Declaration of Independence spoken of by Mr. Miller was the Albermarle Declaration of Independence.

A Declaration of Independence, signed by citizens of Albermarle, April 21st, 1779, the original of which is preserved in the rooms of the Virginia Historical Society in Richmond.

George Gilmer James Reid
James Quarles Benjamin Lacy
William Lewis William Tandy Sr.
Richard Anderson John Reid
Peter Marks William Hopkins
James Bridgett Clough Shelton
John Fielder Samuel Woodson
George Norvell Thomas Overton
Nathaniel Haggard Thomas Martin Jr.
Henry Mullins John Wilkinson
Tucker Woodson Benjamin Dod Wheeler
Isaac Davis Peter Jackson
Samuel Taliaferro Henry Heard
John Day John Jouett Jr.
Micajah Chiles Isaac Davis Jr.
Richard Harper Philip Mazzei
William Barton George Saunders
John Greer Richard Gaines
Thomas Jefferson William Briscoe
John Harvie William Carroll
John Coles Robert Sharp Sr.
James Marks Robert Sharp Jr.
John Harris Joseph Lamb
John Jouett John Bailey
Nicholas Lewis Roland Horsley
Benjamin Harris Richard Harvie
Samuel Dedman Alexander McKinzie
James Hopkins Robert Thompson Jr.
C. Simms John Kirby
James Kerr John Black
William Hays William Pilson
Edward Butler Robert Pilson
R. Davenport Jr. James Epperson
William Irvin, V. D. M. John Lott
Jason Bowcock Richard Sharp

Henry Shelton Robert Burrus
James Minor Henry Randolph
Anderson Bryan William McGhee
John Fitzpatrick Samuel Karr
John Stockton Samuel McCord
Josiah Wood Joseph Holt
Whittle Flannagan William L. Bing
Peter Ferguson Benjamin Jordan
Nathaniel McAllister John Henderson Jr.
John Henderson Sr. William Barksdale
John Lewis Sr. Thomas Thorp
W. Langford James Wm. Crossthwait
Peter Burrus R. Dixon
John Tandy T. Marshall
Richard Goodall Daniel Coleman
Spencer Norvell William Wingfield
Orlando Jones Christopher Wingfield
Stat. Morris William Leake
William Michie Martin Haggard
Thomas Craig Peter Ballou
John McCulloch Thomas West
Charles L. Lewis William Anderson
William Johnson Joseph Neilson
Zachariah Mills William Colvard
John Thomas William Fossett
Castleton Harper Sr. Edward Moore
John Newcomb Charles Lewis Jr.
Samuel Bing David G. Mosby
Richard Carter Isham Lewis
John Wingfield Henry Ford
Henry Hooper William Sandridge
Nicholas Hamner William Chenault
Joseph Terrell Thomas Musick
Daniel Goolsby Samuel Huckstep
Richard Davenport Jacob Oglesby
Charles Tucker John Wood
William Hitchcock Thomas Collins
Henry Copeland Arthur Graham
Richard Goolsby Thomas Morgan
Hiram Gaines Charles Hudson
John Prince William Jeffers
Castleton Harper Jr. Richard Scott
Daniel Coleman Bernis Brown
William Wingfield William Statham
William Leake Stephen Hughes Jr.
Martin Haggard Horsley Goodman

Peter Ballou William Shelton
Thomas Fentress Littlebury Sullivan
James McManus William Karr
Samuel Rea William Ramsay
Abraham Eades David Nimmo
John Fentress William Reynolds
William Sorrow Richard Watson
William Fry Shadrach Reynolds
Charles Goodman Daniel Reynolds
Michael Wallace Francis Browning
Randolph Jefferson William Rannald
John Hall Abraham Gollan
David Allen William Cleveland
Charles Kerr James Bird
Benjamin Henderson William Ballard
Samuel Bowcock Thomas Jameson
David Morris George Mann
John Wallace Daniel Miller
Matthew Maury Francis Hodge
Mask Leake Francis Taliaferro
Robert Cobbs John Kirby
Thomas Gooch James Woods

Note: John Reid, and Alexander are continually mentioned in the following

'Excerpts from History and Genealogies (History of Kentucky Portion)
(**a LICK, in the following paragraphs, refers to trails made by animals heading for salt , these were often then used as and by Indians, usually trails followed by the Indians in their movement from place to place, but also, the term refers to trails taken by hunting parties of Indians)

"Boone's Trace was cut from the Long Island on the Holston River, not far from the place of Treaty of Fort Stanwix, at the Sycamore Shoals on the Watago, a branch of the Holston, to Boonesborough (est. by Daniel Boone, 1775), on the Kentucky (Louisa) River, by Colonel Daniel Boone under a bargain with the proprietors of the Transylvania or Henderson Company, to go before and open the road (233 miles)."

"In the interest and perilous pioneer days many of the immigrants from Virginia and North and South Carolina traveled these roads--the Wilderness, the northeasterly parts came down the Monongahela and Ohio Rivers to Lees Town, the Falls of the Ohio and other points; thence different routes to the interior. "

Col Daniel Boone was Deputy Surveyor of Madison County, Kentucky. In 1788 Aaron Lewis and William Calk were appointed by the court to examine Daniel Boone touching his capacity to execute the office of Deputy surveyor of Madison County, Kentucky. " *(Apparently the question had been raised about Boone's ability or questions raised on whether or not the information provided by him as Surveyor was accurate. Therefore a commission was appointed to verify, and substantiate the information provided by Boone.)

From Article 2--Schedule and Excerpts of Depositions Taken to Perpetuate Testimony as to Land Boundaries and Claims in Madison County, Kentucky, in Her Infant Days, etc."

As we read through these depositions we find information relating to not only John but two other Reid family members including his brother Alexander, and a nephew Elick. Notice for these depositions published in John Bradford's Kentucky Gazette
To wit:

E page 232)

"Deposition of Humphrey Baker, 25 years old, taken February 7 and 8, 1801, on 4,000 acres in the name of William Mayo at Station Camp, met at house of Joe Wells; adjourned to the 8th house of Azariah martin, farmer. Questioned by Green Clay. (Notice published in Gazette) John Sappington, John Harris and Stephen Trigg, Commissioners of the Court.

'Shortly after McMullins and Carpenter were killed on Drowning Creek, myself, Col. Estill, Elick Reid, Benjamin Estill, Benjamin Cooper, Braxton Cooper, Sharswell Cooper, Patrick Woods, Charles Shurley, Higgason Harris, Daniel Hancock, Jesse Noland and others were going to Station Camp, and as we came along Samuel Estill showed us an oak tree and spoke to Ben Estill and told him to take notice in case he should die that that tree was the beginning of James Estill's 1,000 acre entry, etc. On this trip was some distance up the creek of Station Camp. ALEXANDER REID killed a deer some distance before we crossed Station Camp Creek."

Next comes an extensive description of the area.

E, page 248)
ALEXANDER REID , at the same time and place and before the same Commissioners
(Feb. 6 1801, at Joe Wells House on Station Camp before Stephen Trigg and Joseph Boggs, Commissioners)

Testimony included "This lick at Hinton's is on a branch that runs into Crooked Creek; the distance from the lick to Crooked Creek is between three and four hundred poles; from the lick to main Station Camp may be more or less than 3/4 of a mile."

E,page 236) Azariah Martin," testimony ...

Deponent Martin. Locating Licks. " One about 1 1/4 miles below here on the east side of Station Camp on the side a noll, the second at Hinton's about the same distance.....In April 1784, I came from Estill's Station in company with Samuel Estill, Harris Massie, John Woods, William Kavanaugh, Nicholas Proctor, John Mitchell, William McCrary, and sever others (the others were probably those named in Humphrey Baker's deposition, to wit: Humphrey Baker, Cal Estill, ALEX REID, Benjamin Estill, Benjamin Cooper, Braxton Cooper, Sharswell Cooper, Patrick Woods, Charles Shurley, Higgason Harris, Daniel Hancock, Jessee Noland which composes a company of twenty men) in a pursuit of a Indian camp near the mouth of Station Camp Creek, and I was showed by some of the company at or near the Blue Banks, about two miles from this place, there was the War Road to our right hand......"

E, page 296) "Squire Boone, at the house of JOHN REID, on Hart's Fork of Silver Creek, March, 1802, before John Harris and John Kincaid, Commissioners, on spring branch below Reid's house at two white oaks and honey locust--on of the oaks marked G.M. 1786 and J.E.D. and the white oak marked N.1.86. D.B. (Nov. 1 1786 Daniel Boone)

Mary joined John in Madison County, Ky between 1790 and 1795. They settled and made their home on Otter Creek, a mile or two east of Richmond where John died on June 18 1818. His son, John Reid and son in law, William Williams qualified as administrators of his estate.

Mary Woods Reid, his widow died at their Otter Creek Home.

June 3, 1783. Major John Reid moved the committee of Cumberland relative to the assembling of the southern tribes of Indians at the French Lick on Cumberland, for holding a treaty with the Commissioners appointed by the State of Virginia; when the Committee, considering how difficult it will be for a handful of people, reduced to poverty and distress by a continued scene of Indian barbarity, to furnish any large body of Indians with provisions; and how prejudicial it may be to our infant settlement, should they not be furnished with provisions, or otherwise dissatisfied with the terms of the treaty; on which consideration the Committee refer it to the unanimous suffrages of the people of this settlement, whether the treaty shall be held here with their consent or no, and that the suffrages of the several stations be delivered to the Clerk of Committee on Thursday evening the fifth instant.

Result:
Freeland's Station, no treaty here, 32.
Heatonsburg, no treaty here, 1; treaty here, 54
Nashborough, no treat here, 26, treaty here 30
French Lick, no treat here, 58; treaty here , 84

Historical notes on Kentucky
Admitted to the Union as the fifteenth state in 1792, Kentucky was
settled predominantly by Irish, German, and English men and women in
the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

Source information: Dodd, Jordan, comp. "Kentucky Marriages, 1851-
1900."

More About JOHN REID:
Burial: 2 miles east of Richmond, Kentucky

Notes for MARY "POLLY" WOODS:
From: The Early Descendants of Wm Overton and Elizabeth Waters
Author: W.P. Anderson

Call Number: R929.2 O96a

A genealogy of Wm. Overton and Elizabeth Waters of Virginia, and allied families.

Bibliographic Information: Anderson, W.P. The Early Descendants of Wm. Overton and Elizabeth Waters. N.P.: W.P. Anderson, 1938.

Ag8 Susanna Anderson b. Sept. 14, 1725, m. Col. John Woods b. 1 d Oct. 14, 1791, of Albemarle Co., Va. Issue (H&G214) b. in Albermarle Co., Va.:

1 James Woods b. Jan. 21, 1743, m. Mary Garland, X;
2 Mary Woods b. Dec. 2, 1746, m. John Reid, X;
3 Michael Woods 1748-1826, m. Hettie Caruthers, X;
4 Suity Woods b. 1752, m. Samuel Reid;
5 Sarah Woods 1757-70;
6 Anna Woods b. 1760, m. Jonathan Reid;
7 John Woods, Jr. 1763-64;
8 Susannah Woods b. Sept. 21, 1768, m. Daniel Miller;

Ag82 Mary Woods b. Dec. 2, 1746, d. at Otter Creek, Ky. Oct. 19 m. John Reid b. Aug. 25, 1750, d. June 29, 1816, of Nelson Co., Va. moved to Otter Creek, a mile or two east of Richmond, Ky. Issue (?? Thomas Reid m. 1st July 29, 1806 (0316sz) Susan Shelton, 2d Apr??
1820/21 Nancy Harris (1);
y John Reid m. Apr. 18, 1796 Ann Miller (H&G132). Issue (H&G222)??
yz Jane Reid m. Dec. 21, 1819 Hudson Broaddus (H&G108);
yy Lucinda Reid m. Oct. 7, 1824 (031290) Overton Gentry;
yx John M. Reid m. Sept. 9, 1824 Elizabeth Dinwiddie;
yw Corrinna Reid m. Aug. 18, 1829 Hardin Yates;
yv Elizabeth M. Reid m. July 29, 1828 Talton Fox;
yu Jefferson Reid; yt Susan Reid m. Geo. Estill;
ys Joseph Reid; yr Christopher Reid;
yq William Reid; yp Polly Reid m. Levi Williams;
yo Thomas Reid (1);
x James Reid m. 1st Feb. 27, 1816 Mary Reid;
w Wm. Reid m. (Ag815) Sarah Woods;
v Anderson Woods Reid b. in Va. Apr. 27, 1783, m. Charlotte Embry??
u Elizabeth Reid m. Oct. 15, 1805 William Williams;
(1) H&G132 gives Ag82yo Thomas Reid m. Apr. 19, 1820 Nancy Harris ??

Courtesy of Don Fox <DonFox@cybertrails.com>

More About JOHN REID:

Notes for MARY "POLLY" WOODS:

Courtesy of Don Fox <DonFox@cybertrails.com>

Will of Mary Polly Reid

Oct 19 1828, having first made and published her last will and testament, to wit,:
"In the name of God, Amen. I, Polly Reid, widow and relict of John Reid, deceased, being weak in body but sound in mind, do make and ordain this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all others. First, my will and desire is that after my death my just debts, if any, and funeral expenses, be first paid out of the proceeds of my estate, consisting of the profits of my dowery in the lands and slaves of my said husband, John Reid, deceased. Second, my will and desire is that as my beloved son, Thomas Reid, by one misfortune or other has been reduced to almost penury and want, that he the said Thomas, have the balance of my estate, after paying as above, which estate consists in notes principally upon my son James Reid, in fine, I will and bequeath unto my said son, Thomas Reid all the estate of which I am seized and possessed, or entitled to as profits of my dowry estate, or otherwise., absolutely entitled to in my own right, reserving my original dowry estate, to be disposed of as the law directs. It being only my wish to will and bequeath such part of the profits of said estate, as may be left at my death, after paying for my support and maintenance out of the same, and such other estate as I may be be entitled to any way. Lastly, I appoint my son, Thomas Reid, executor of this my last will and testament. In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and seal, this 17 day of October 1828.

Signed POLLY REID (seal)
Witnesses:--E.L. Shackelford, James Woods, Jacob coulter
Kentucky, Madison County Sct.

I, David Irvine, Clerk of the Court for the county aforesaid, do hereby certify that as a County Court Held for Madison County on Monday the 2nd day of Feb. 1829, this instrument of writing was produced in open court, and proved to be the last will and testament of Polly Reid, deceased, by the oaths of James Woods, and James Coulter, two subscribing witnesses thereto, and ordered to be recorded, and the same has been done accordingly.

Attest: DAVID IRVINE, C. M. C. C.

The remains of Mary Woods and John Reid, her husband, were buried about two miles east of Richmond, Ky. in a plot of ground now an orchard, on the old William Goodloe farm, now owned and occupied by Christopher F. Chenault as a home. Marble stones, with inscriptions showing dates of their birth and death mark their graves, their brother in law Daniel Miller and wife settled on Muddy Creek. Samuel Reid and his family settled on Paint Lick Creek.

Headstones: Mary Woods Reid, Wife of John, 2 Dec 1746, 19 Oct 1828. John Reid,25 Aug 1750, 29 Jun 1816.

Note
Daniel Miller was married to Mary Woods Reid's sister Susannah.

More About MARY "POLLY" WOODS:

More About MARY "POLLY" WOODS:

More About JOHN REID and MARY WOODS:
Marriage: 1769, Albermarle, Virginia

Children of JOHN REID and MARY WOODS are:
7. i. THOMAS9 REID, b. April 17, 1770, Culpepper Co., Virginia; d. March 13, 1867, Callaway Co. Missouri.
8. ii. JOHN REID, b. November 24, 1774, Nelson Co., Virginia; d. 1857, Monroe Co., Missouri/Randolph County, Missouri.
9. iii. WILLIAM M. REID, b. 1781; d. August 1845, Monroe Co., Missouri.
10. iv. JAMES REID, b. 1782; d. Bef. December 1835.
11. v. ELIZABETH (TWIN) "BETSY" REID, b. April 27, 1783.
12. vi. ANDERSON WOODS REID, b. April 27, 1783, Albemarle, Virginia; d. September 19, 1843, Madison Co., Kentucky (now in area of Colyer).

3. ALEXANDER8 REID (JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born 1758. He married MARGARET TOMLINSON, daughter of HUMPHREY TOMLINSON and CASANDRA DAVIS. She was born 1762 in Iredell Co., North Carolina.

Children of ALEXANDER REID and MARGARET TOMLINSON are:
i. ALEXANDER "ELICK"9 REID.
13. ii. MARY "POLLY" REID, b. Abt. 1786, Iredell co., North Carolina; d. Aft. 1865, Walker Co., Georgia.

4. SAMUEL8 REID (JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born 1761 in Iredell Co. North Carolina/Or/Pennsylvania, and died 1805 in Blount Co, Tennessee. He married NANCY ANN MOORE 1780 in Tennessee. She was born 1765 in Pennsylvania, and died 1819 in Blount/Polk Co. Tennessee.

Notes for SAMUEL REID:
In 1800 Samuel was in Captain Caldwell's Co. (Militia) along with James Cochran, several Hackney's,, the Ish's, Jones and Isham Blankenship, John McAlister. and Humphrey Montgomery, who all appear to be from the Gallaher's Creek area. By 1801 apparently Capt. Caldwell didn't have a company but these same men are listed in a company under a Captain Aleson.

More About SAMUEL REID and NANCY MOORE:
Marriage: 1780, Tennessee

Children of SAMUEL REID and NANCY MOORE are:
14. i. JANE M.9 REID.
ii. AGNES W. REID.
iii. JONATHAN REID.
iv. ROBERT REID, b. Aft. 1780.
v. NANCY REID, b. Bet. 1790 - 1800; m. JAMES THOMPSON, May 04, 1824, McMinn Co., Tennessee.

More About JAMES THOMPSON and NANCY REID:
Marriage: May 04, 1824, McMinn Co., Tennessee

15. vi. MARY "POLLY" REID, b. December 04, 1793, Fort Loudon, Louden Co., Tennessee; d. September 07, 1854, Big Springs, Blount Co., Tennessee.
16. vii. SAMUEL MOORE REID, b. October 01, 1801, Blount Co, Tennessee; d. February 1858, Benton, Polk Co. Tennessee.
17. viii. JAMES NAPOLEAN REID, b. Abt. 1802.
18. ix. ANNA REID, b. Abt. 1804.

5. DAVID8 REID (JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born May 29, 1764 in Iredell Co., North Carolina, and died April 24, 1840 in Kentucky or Tennessee. He married JANE H. KNOX Abt. 1784 in North Carolina, daughter of JOHN KNOX and HANNAH REID. She was born 1766 in Rowan Co. North Carolina, and died June 26, 1826 in Tennessee.

Marriage Notes for DAVID REID and JANE KNOX:
Jane and David were cousins

More About DAVID REID and JANE KNOX:
Marriage: Abt. 1784, North Carolina

Children of DAVID REID and JANE KNOX are:
i. MARGARETTE9 REID.
19. ii. ANNA REID, b. September 25, 1786, Tennessee; d. March 18, 1831, Maryville, Blount Co., Tennessee.
iii. MARY REID, b. Abt. 1788; m. JAMES TURNER; b. Abt. 1789.
20. iv. GEORGE REID, b. 1790, Rowan Co., North Carolina.
v. LAMIRA REID, b. Abt. 1792, Rowan Co., North Carolina; m. ??? DOBBINS; b. 1788, Rowan Co., North Carolina.
21. vi. FRANKLIN REID, b. 1794, Rowan, North Carolina.
vii. JOHN REID, b. 1796, Rowan Co., North Carolina.
viii. ELIZA REID, b. Abt. 1798, Rowan Co., North Carolina.
22. ix. JAMES REID, b. 1800, Rowan Co., North Carolina.
x. ADALINE REID, b. 1802, Rowan Co., North Carolina.
xi. MELISSA REID, b. 1804, Rowan Co., North Carolina.

6. JAMES8 REID (JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1)4 was born 1779, and died February 17 in Alabama. He married MARY "POLLY" REID February 07, 1819 in Jefferson Co., Alabama. She was born Abt. 1798.

More About JAMES REID and MARY REID:
Marriage: February 07, 1819, Jefferson Co., Alabama

Children of JAMES REID and MARY REID are:
i. RIAL P.9 REID, b. 1820.
ii. ANN C. REID, b. 1821; m. ANSELM REID; b. Abt. 1804; d. Winston, North Carolina.
23. iii. WILLIAM CALLOWAY REID, b. 1823, Walker Co., Alabama; d. Abt. 1864.
iv. ATHENIAL REID, b. 1824, Alabama; m. JOSEPH DEAN; b. Abt. 1824.
v. SILAS REID, b. 1825, Alabama.
vi. MANILA REID, b. Abt. 1826, Alabama.
24. vii. DENNIS REID, b. February 27, 1830, Jefferson Co., Alabama; d. April 09, 1907, Blount Co., Alabama.
viii. MARIAN BURNETTA REID, b. February 29, 1832; d. 1838, Coaldale, Alabama.
25. ix. ELIAS REID, b. August 29, 1834, Jefferson Co., Alabama; d. December 19, 1915, Blount Co., Alabama.
x. WILLIAM NELSON REID, b. 1838, Jefferson Co., Alabama; m. MALISSIE HUFFSTETLER, April 17, 1858; b. 1839; d. 1912.

More About MALISSIE HUFFSTETLER:
Burial: Philadelphia Cemetery, Locust Fork, Blount Co., Alabama

More About WILLIAM REID and MALISSIE HUFFSTETLER:
Marriage: April 17, 1858

Generation No. 3

7. THOMAS9 REID (JOHN8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born April 17, 1770 in Culpepper Co., Virginia, and died March 13, 1867 in Callaway Co. Missouri. He married (1) SUSANNA "ANNE" SHELTON5 July 29, 1806 in Madison Co. Kentucky5, daughter of THOMAS SHELTON and ELIZABETH WOODS. She was born 1773 in Madison Co., Kentucky, and died Bef. 1820. He married (2) NANCY HARRIS April 19, 1820 in Madison Co. Kentucky, daughter of WEBBER HARRIS. She was born Abt. 1775 in Madison Co., Kentucky.

Notes for THOMAS REID:
In the 1850 census Thomas is found living with his daughter , Elizabeth, and son in law Thomas B. Hubbard, and their family in Boone Co., Missouri

Information on this line Courtesy of Jean Hubbard
jconhubb@swbell.net

More About THOMAS REID:
Burial: King Family Cemetery

Notes for SUSANNA "ANNE" SHELTON:
She was a second cousin to Thomas on the Woods side of family

More About THOMAS REID and SUSANNA SHELTON:
Marriage: July 29, 1806, Madison Co. Kentucky5

More About THOMAS REID and NANCY HARRIS:
Marriage: April 19, 1820, Madison Co. Kentucky

Children of THOMAS REID and SUSANNA SHELTON are:
26. i. ELIZABETH W.10 REID, b. January 20, 1809, Kentucky; d. March 01, 1872, Callaway Co. Missouri.
ii. LOUISA ESTILL REID, b. December 12, 1812, Madison Co., Kentucky; d. January 11, 1877, Missouri; m. GEORGE WASHINGTON FREEMAN, February 08, 1828, Laurel Co., Kentucky; b. 1808, Kentucky.

More About GEORGE FREEMAN and LOUISA REID:
Marriage: February 08, 1828, Laurel Co., Kentucky

27. iii. SARA ANN REID, b. April 21, 1819, Kentucky; d. October 1851, Audrain Co., Missouri.

8. JOHN9 REID (JOHN8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born November 24, 1774 in Nelson Co., Virginia, and died 1857 in Monroe Co., Missouri/Randolph County, Missouri. He married (1) ANNA MILLER April 19, 1796 in Madison Co. Kentucky, daughter of JOHN MILLER and JANE DULANEY. She was born November 03, 1777, and died 1841 in Probably Missouri. He married (2) ADELINE PHILLIPS July 08, 1845 in Kentucky. She died August 06, 1887 in Randolph County, Missouri6.

Notes for JOHN REID:
Members of the Viney Fork Baptist Church in Madison Co, Ky.

Will of John Reid, Will Book B, page 352-358.
Written 30 Jun 1855 in Monroe Co., MO. Probated 5 June 1857.

In the name of God Amen.
I John Reid of the county of Monroe and state of Missouri being advanced in years but of sound mind and memory, do hereby designate and point out what disposition I wish made of my estate after my decease.
First of all, it is my will and desire that my just debts be all paid. In the second place, it is my will and desire that my beloved wife Adaline Reid have one third part of all my personal estate, slaves included, during her natural life time. It is also my will and desire that my beloved wife Adaline Reid have one third part of all the land that I may die seized and possessed of during her state of widowhood and no longer, and at her death the whole of my estate that she (Adaline Reid) possesses is to be sold and divided as directed in the sequel; now in order that I may be fully understood and wish my children all to have as near as possible an equal portion of the profit arising from my labor and industry, counting to each son and daughter all that they already had of my estate when they married and afterwards, I will state as near as I can what and how much each of my sons and daughters have already had commencing with my oldest son Garland Reid. When he was married and afterwards, received of my estate one hundred and five acres of land which cost me one hundred and fifty dollars. I gave him also one cow, some sheep and hogs together worth about $25, one bed and furniture worth about $40, one horse worth $70. When added all together the whole amount of money and property given to my son Garland Reid amounts to the sum of eleven hundred and eighty five dollars.

I gave to my daughter Polly, sometimes called Mary, when she married to Levi Williams and since, one negro girl slave 10 years old, worth about $300, one horse and saddle worth $95, two cows and calves $30, sheep and hogs $10, bed and good furniture worth $40, another bed stead that cost me $20, kitchen and cupboard furniture, silver tea spoons included $25, and $300 in money, part of the price of a black woman and two children I sold to said Levi Williams after he married my daughter. All of which, when added together, amounts to the sum of eight hundred and twenty dollars.

My daughter Jane, when she married Hudson Broaddus and since, I gave to her one negro girl about 10 years old, worth about three hundred and twenty dollars, one horse and saddle worth $95, 2 cows and calves worth $30, kitchen and cupboard furniture, silver teaspoons included, worth $30, one folding leaf table, one square table, chairs and bureau, all together worth about $??. I gave my said daughter Jane $300 on the old -?- -?- -?- $270, one hundred paid -?- , -?- makes when added together the sum of six hundred and eighty one dollars.

John Miller Reid, my fourth child, I gave to him when married to Elizabeth Dinwiddie, one horse and saddle worth $85, cattle worth $30, cupboard and table worth $20, stock, hogs and sheep worth $11, kitchen furniture with bed and the best of furniture worth $45. I gave him also, one negro boy slave 13 years old, worth $350. When all added together it makes the sum of $542 given to John M. Reid.

My daughter Lucinda, being the fifth of my children, I gave to her soon after she was married to Overton H.? Gentry, one negro girl slave 20 years old, worth $350, one horse and saddle worth $75, cattle worth $25, sheep and hogs worth $12, bed and furniture $40, bedstead $4, kitchen and cupboard furniture $23, bureau table and chairs $31. The whole lot of the property I gave to my daughter Lucinda when added together amounts to the sum of five hundred and sixty dollars.

James W. Reid, the sixth of my children, I have given to him $200 cash, one horse beast worth $75, one bed, bedstead and good furniture worth $40, stock, hogs and sheep worth $12, one cow good stock worth $15, the amount of money and property given to James W. Reid when added together amounts to the sum of $342.

Elzira, the seventh of my children, I gave to her soon after she was married to Tarlton E. Fox, two negro girl slaves. One of said girls was about 7 years old, the other about 5 years. The two girls, I suppose was worth about $450, cattle $25, sheep and stock hogs $12, bed and furniture worth $40, bedstead bureau worth $20, kitchen and cupboard furniture, silver teaspoons included, worth $25, table and chairs worth $12, one
horse and saddle $60. The whole of the property I gave to my daughter Elzira, when added together amounts to the sum of $634.

Corena, the eighth of my children, I gave to her soon after she was married to Hardin Yates, one negro girl slave about nine years old, worth $300, one horse and saddle worth $75, cattle $25, sheep and stock hogs $12, bed and furniture $40, one bedstead $10, one bureau $17, kitchen and cupboard furniture, silver spoons included worth $25, chairs and table $12. The whole of the property I gave to my daughter Corena, when added together amounts to the sum of $506.

My son William, being the ninth of my children, I gave to him when he married and soon after, one horse and saddle worth $75. I gave also one hundred and twenty acres of land which he sold to Peter M. Burrus, I gave him $51 dollars to buy 40 acres more which made 160 in his tract of land worth about $300. I gave him also one bed, bedstead and furniture worth $40, stock hogs and sheep $12, one cow worth $15. The whole of the money and property that I gave to my son William, when added together amounts to the sum of $441.

Christopher C. Reid, being the tenth of my children, I gave to him one horse and saddle worth $100. I gave him also one hundred fifty acres of land with some improvement worth about $500. The whole of the property that I gave to my son Christopher C., when added together amounts to about the sum of $600.

Joseph M. Reid, being the eleventh of my children, I gave to him one horse and saddle worth $100. I gave to my son Joseph M. also one hundred and twenty acres of land worth with small improvement about the sum of $250, one bed and furniture, bedstead included, worth about the sum of $35. The property I gave to my son Joseph M., when added together amounts to about the sum of $385.

Thomas J. Reid being the twelfth of my children and youngest son, I gave him one hundred and twenty acres of land with considerable improvement on the same worth about the sum of $400. I gave him also one horse and saddle worth $75 and one other horse worth about $20. I gave to my said son, Thomas J. Reid also, one bed and furniture worth $30, one bedstead $5, one cow and calf, some kitchen and cupboard furniture, together worth $18. Some sheep included, the whole amount of property that I gave to my son Thomas J. Reid, when added together amounts to the sum of $548.

Susan M. Estill, being the thirteenth of my children, I gave to her about the time she was married to George Estill and shortly after, one negro girl slave about 12 years old, $320, one fine mare and saddle worth $100,one cow and calf, sheep included together worth $18, cupboard and kitchen furniture worth $6, one bed and furniture worth $40, one bedstead worth $12, one bureau $25, teaspoons $6. The whole of the property that I gave to my daughter Susan M. Estill, when added together amounts to the sum of $527.

I have one infant daughter by my wife Adaline Reid, who is my present wife, by the name of Mary Ann Reid. It is my will and desire that my daughter Mary Ann Reid have an equal portion of my estate with my other children taking into consideration all that my older children have also had. Mary Ann being young and has had nothing yet, she must have as much as will make her equal with my other children before they get anything and then about the same that each of the other children get afterwards and if I should have any other heirs, it is my will and desire that they all have an equal portion of my estate as near as possible. My daughter Mary Ann is not quite nine years old, she is to raise and school and dress until she gets to fifteen or sixteen years old and it is my will and desire that my daughter Mary Ann have four hundred dollars more than my other daughters as I have already been out the expense of raising, schooling and dressing all my other daughters.
It is my will and desire that the County Court of Monroe County, Mo appoint some safe person to take care of the four hundred dollars for Mary Ann's benefit and have it made use of as she needs it. It is my will and desire that my daughter Mary Ann have one negro girl slave by the name of Nancy. She (Nancy) is in her seventeenth year and is married. Nancy is worth about -?- about as my other daughters negro girls were valued. It is now to be understood that as my daughter Mary Ann is young and small, not nine years old, she is not to have any of the increase from her negro girl until she (Mary Ann) is fourteen years old, and after that time she is to have all the increase her girl may have forever, but if my daughter Mary Ann's negro girl (Nancy) should not live until she (Mary Ann) is fourteen years old, then in that case, it is my will that Mary Ann Reid shall have about the same amount of property made up to her out of my estate if there is property sufficient belonging to my estate. If there is not property, it must be made up to her out of property that may be in possession of her mother, Adaline Reid. I wish it now distinctly understood that it is my will and desire that all that part of my estate that is or may be given to my daughter Mary Ann Reid, is intended for her own benefit and her heirs if she ever have any and not to be put in the power of any man she may marry, to sell or trade in any way whatever, not to be liable for debt whether contracted before or after marriage.
It is my will and desire that all that part of my estate that may be coming to my son James W. Reid is to be secured to his children (my grandchildren) whose names are first, Lucy Ann, second, John Miller, third Glorenna (may be Glorinna).
It is my will and desire that all that part of my estate that may be coming to my son Thomas J. Reid, when a division takes place, be secured to his children whose names are first, Sylvanus, second , Christopher, only two.
I have two daughters that I wish their children to inherit that part of my estate that may be coming to them. Elzira Fox has one son by the name of John J. Fox, my grandson. I wish him (John J.) to inherit one half of that part of my estate that may be coming to his mother (Elzira Fox) when my estate is divided, the other half will go to his sister, the daughter of Elzira Fox.
My daughter Polly Williams, if there is any thing coming to her at the division of my estate, it is my desire it be given to her individual self to use or dispose of as she may think fit.
My daughter Lucinda Gentry, I wish her (she being a widow) to receive all that part of my estate that may be coming to her at the division of my estate in her own hand and use it for her own benefit as she may think best during her lifetime and forever.
It is my will and desire that my daughter Corena Yates have all that part of my estate that may be coming to her at the division of my estate, paid over to her self and that she make use of it in any way she may think best.
My daughter Susan M. Estill having no children, all that part of my estate that may be coming to her, it is my will and desire that it be paid over to her and that she use it and improve it for her own benefit and comfort and if my said daughter Susan should not live to have any issue, her part of my estate is to be put into the hands of her brother William Reid for aid in support of the Gospel at her decease.

I wish it now understood distinctly that I appoint my son William Reid as a trustee or put him in trust for the safe keeping of the part of my estate I have given to the children of James W. Reid whose names are mentioned in the foregoing part of this my last will and testament. The interest of the amount it may be is to be used by the parents of said children for raising, schooling of their offspring.
I now appoint Joseph M. Reid and put him in trust for the safe keeping of that part of my estate that I have given to the children of my son Thomas J. Reid, whose names are Sylvanus, the oldest and Christopher, the second. There being only the two of them, the interest of or on the amount that may be coming to said children to be used by their parents to aid in raising and schooling said children until they are of age or come to the years of maturity. I have said before that it is my will and desire that all my children should have an equal portion of my estate taking into consideration all that each of my children have had before and after they were named. Those who have had most will not pay back any thing but all others to have as near as the property will hold out to make them equal to those who have had the most.
My daughter Mary Ann, being young and have had nothing yet, it will be seen above that I have given or set apart four hundred dollars for her benefit raising, schooling and dressing and I now appoint Thomas Crutcher of Paris in trust to see that the four hundred dollars on hand for the benefit of my daughter Mary Ann as she needs it. As I have said that it is my will and desire that my beloved wife Adaline have one third part of all my personal estate, slaves included. She may elect to take her third from the appraised value when the property is preparing to be sold or if she prefers, she can bid it off at the sale and hold her third during her natural lifetime, improve it and use it for her comfort and happiness and at her death, the whole of her third part of my estate both real and personal be sold and divided amongst all my children making the division as near equal as possible. If my beloved wife, Adaline Reid have her third part of my estate laid off for her to live on, it is my wish that due respect be paid to water and timber in order that each party can have a fair chance to keep their part of my farm on order so long as they occupy it. Now as this is my last will and testament, all others that may have been written before this date are null and void and of no force of all whatsoever. Now in order that this, my last will and testament be carried into complete effect, I hereby constitute and appoint Henderson Davis of Monroe County, Mo, with the assistance of Alfred Wilson of Paris, Mo, my executors of this my last will and testament who will perform the duties enjoined upon them as such.
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and affix my seal, this thirtieth day of June in the year of our Lord, eighteen hundred and fifty five.
John Reid (seal)
Witness
H. Davis
Jno S.? Conyers

------------

State of Missouri, County of Monroe-----In vacation of the Monroe County Court.
Be it remembered that on this 5th day of June 1857, personally appeared before the undersigned W. N. Penn, clerk of the County Court of the County and State aforesaid, John S. Conyers, one of the subscribing witnesses to the annexed will of John Reid, and being by me first duly sworn, depose and say, that the said John Reid, the testator, declared in the presence of said deponent that he had subscribed the same and published the said will or instrument of writing as his last will, that he, the said testator was at the time of publishing his said will, of sound mind and more than twenty one years of age and that he. the said deponent attested the said will as a witness thereto by subscribing his name to the same in the presence of the testator.
Jno S. Conyers
In witness whereof, I, W. N. Penn, Clerk of the County Court of the County of Monroe and State aforesaid, have hereunto subscribed my name and affixed the seal of said Court this 5th day of June AD 1857.
W. N. Penn Clerk (seal)

------------

State of Missouri, County of Monroe SS
The State of Missouri to any Judge or Justice of the Peace in the State of Missouri Greetings.
Having confidence in your -?- and fidelity, you are by these presents authorized to cause to come before you, Henderson Davis, one of the subscribing witnesses to the annexed instrument of writing, purported to be the last will of John Reid deceased, at such time and place as you may appoint, most convenient to yourself and the said Henderson Davis, and to examine the said Henderson Davis, upon his oath or affirmation first made or taken before you, touching the truth of his knowledge in relation to the execution and publication of the instrument of writing aforesaid. You are further authorized to reduce the examination to writing, cause the said Henderson Davis to sign the same in your presence, certify how you have executed this commission and to return the same, both the said will annexed and the said examination to the undersigned clerk of the County Court of the County and State aforesaid, without delay.
In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my name and affixed the seal of said Court this 5th day of June AD 1857. W. N. Penn, Clerk

------------
State of Missouri, County of Lewis SS
Be it remembered that on this 10th day of June 1857 personally appeared before undersigned Richard Soward, a Justice of the Peace within and for the County of Lewis and State aforesaid, Henderson Davis, one of the subscribing witnesses to the annexed will of John Reid, and being by me first duly sworn depose and say that the said John Reid the testator declared in the presence of the said deponent that he had subscribed the same and published the said will or instrument of writing as his last will, that the said testator was at the time of publishing his said will of sound mind and more than twenty one years old and that he the said deponent attested the said will as a witness thereof subscribing his name to the same in the presence of said testator.
H. Davis
In witness whereof, I, Richard Soward, a Justice of the Peace of the County of said State of Missouri, have here subscribed my name and office in the said County this 10th day of June AD 1857.
Richard Soward, Justice of the Peace (and Clerk?)

----------
We, Joseph M. Reid and Peter M. Burrus as principal, John S. Conyers and Daniel M. Dulaney as Securities are held and bound unto the State of Missouri in the sum of twenty thousand dollars for the payment of which we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors and administrators. The conditions of the above bond is that if Joseph M. Reid and Peter M. Burrus, administrators of the estate of John Reid deceased, with the will annexed, shall faithfully administer said estate according to the provisions of said will, account for, pay and deliver all money and property of said estate and perform all things touching said administration required by law, or the order or decree of any court having jurisdiction then the above bond to be void, otherwise to remain in full force.
In witness whereof we have hereunto subscribed our names and affixed our seals this 16th day of June AD 1857.
Attest
Joseph M. Reid
Peter M. Burrus
Daniel M. Dulaney
Jno S. Conyers
W. N. Penn Clerk

---------------
County of Monroe
The State of Missouri to all persons to whom these presents shall come greetings: Know ye that whereas John Reid late of the County of Monroe died intestate as is -is said having at the time of his death property in this state which may be lost , destroyed or diminished in value if speedy care be not taken of the same to the end therefore that said property may be collected preserved and disposed of according to law, we do hereby appoint Joseph M. Reid and Peter M. Burrus administrators with the will annexed of all and singular the goods and chattels rights and credits which were of the said John Reid at the time of his death with full power and authority to secure and dispose of said property according to law and collect all moneys due said deceased, and in general to do and perform all other acts and things which are or hereafter may be required of them by law.

In testimony whereof, I, W. N. Penn, Clerk of the County Court in and for the county of Monroe aforesaid have hereunto signed my name and affixed the seal of said Court at Office this 16th day of June 1857.
W. N. Penn Clerk

Note. The clerk obviously wrote intestate in error above!
This John Reid was my 3rd great grandfather. Don L. Fox

More About JOHN REID:
Church Affiliatin: Viney Fork Baptist Church, Madison Co., Ky.

More About JOHN REID:
Baptism: Viney Fork Baptist Church, Madison Co., Ky.
Burial: Monroe Co., Missouri6

Notes for ANNA MILLER:
Notes for ANNA MILLER:
JOHN MILLER'S WILL.
In the name of God, Amen, I, John Miller, of Madison County, and State of Kentucky, do make and ordain this my last will and testament, revoking all others by me heretofore made. In the first place, it is my will and desire that all my just debts be paid by my Executors hereafter named as soon as conveniently may be after my decease. I give to my beloved wife, Jane Miller, during her natural life, and no longer, the plantation and tract of land whereon I now live, including the tract which I purchased of my son, Robert Miller, and also the tract I purchased of Cornelius Maupin; also all my negroes, live stock, household and kitchen furniture, all my unmentioned estate, after satisfaction and payments of my just debts, bequeaths and devises, hereafter mentioned, for and during the said term of her natural life, to be in full satisfaction of and in lieu of dower in my real and personal estate.
I give to my son, Robert Miller, and his heirs forever, twenty acres of land to be in a square and to be taken off of the east corner of my tract of land on which the town of Richmond stands. Also, one negro.
I give to my son, William Miller, and to his heirs forever, and to my son, John Miller, Jun'r, and to his heirs forever, the tract of land on which the said town of Richmond stands, to be equally divided between them, by such division line as they may agree upon, but it is to be understood that the devise is not to include or extend to any property I may hold within the boundary of said town, nor to any part of said tract I may have sold by written or verbal contract, nor to the part before devised to my son Robert.
I devise to my son, Thomas Miller, and to his heirs forever, one tract of land lying in the said county near the said town of Richmond which I purchased from Elijah Gaddy, containing one hundred acres. Also, two negroes.
I devise to my son, Delaney Miller, and to his heirs forever, one hundred and forty acres of land, being part of the tract whereon I now live, which I purchased of my son, Robert Miller, and Cornelius Maupin, to be laid off of the south end of said tract, and not to come nearer to the dwelling house than three hundred and fifty yards, to extend up the line between me and John Patrick and the improvement for quantity. Also, two negroes.
I devise to my son, Garland Miller, and his heirs forever, the balance of the aforementioned tract of land whereon I now live, be the same, more or less, except the part already devised to my son Delaney Miller, to be laid off in the manner and form before mentioned, or any other way they may agree upon to suit themselves, to have and enjoy the same after the determination of the other therein before devised to his mother. I, also, give him two negroes.

I devise to my son, Joseph Miller, and his heirs forever, one tract of land lying on the waters of Paint Lick Creek, deeded to me by David Wells, containing two hundred acres, be the same (more) or less. Also two negroes.
I give to my daughter, Anna Reid, one negro.
I give to my daughter, Elizabeth Kavanaugh, one negro.
I give to my daughter, Jane Lackey, two negroes.
I give to my daughter, Frances Miller, three negroes.
I give to my sons Delaney and Garland each, and to my daughter Frances, one horse and saddle, and two cows and calves, and one bed and furniture, to be paid them at the time of their marriage, or attaining the age of twenty-one years, whichever shall first happen, to be allowed to them out of the estate in my beloved wife's hands, by my Executors, if she should be then living, and if she should not be then living, give them the value of said articles in cash, the value to be ascertained by neighbors--one chosen by my Executors, one by such child entitled thereto, and a third chosen by these two; it is to be fairly understood that if I should, in my life time, give to any of my children a negro, and other property herein devised or given, that it is to be considered satisfaction of the devise or bequest of such negro, all as far as it answers the description herein given. It is further to be understood that the negroes herein given and devised are not to be paid to my said children until after the death of my wife, unless she shall choose to part with them, in which case she may at any time pay to any one, or more, any, all, or more of said negroes, with the assent of my Executors, or the survivors of them.
Should any of my children die before me, the devise and bequest herein made to said children are to stand good and effectual to the heirs of such person--according to the laws of descent in the Commonwealth.
JOHN MILLER, L. S.
Signed as the first part of my will.
Presence of us.
WM. GOODLOE.
his
WM. X KARR.
mark

Continuation of John Miller's Will:
"I constitute and appoint my friends, William Irvine, Robert Rodes, Executors of this my last will and testament. I empower them to make convey--for my lands which at the time of my death I may have sold, and unconveyed, either by written or verbal contract. I, also, empower them to divide my negroes according to the division of them herein made, as equal as may be. I do, also, empower them to sell and convey, as to them may seem best, all my lots in the town of Richmond, and to dispose of any part of my personal estate, if necessary, to raise money for the payment of my debts, and the residue, if any, from the sale of the lots, and collections of my debts, to pay the same to my wife. I declare my wife is not to give security for the keeping of the property left her, nor is she to be answerable for its depreciation in value, etc. And, whereas, I have at sundry times given to my children who have grown to years of maturity, a negro, or negroes, etc., I do now ratify and confirm to them all and every gift which I may before have made, and do declare that when I have delivered them any negro without an express stipulation to the contrary, that it is to be considered a gift.
All my estate left after the death of my wife, and not herein
Page 123
otherwise disposed of, I give to my daughters, Anna Reid, Elizabeth Kavanaugh, Jane Lackey, and Frances Miller, to be equally divided between them, and I wish it to be understood that whereas I have by deed given to my daughter, Elizabeth Kavanaugh, and her heirs, a part of a lot in the town of Richmond of the value of fifty pounds, now unless the said gift can be rescinded, and the said lot or the value thereof to be equally divided between the brothers and sisters, she is not to receive any part of my estate as last above mentioned devised to Anna Reid, Elizabeth Kavanaugh, Jane Lackey, and Frances Miller. Shall each of them have received the sum of fifty pounds, should there be any balance, it is then to be equally divided between them.
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand, and affixed my seal this 24th day of February, 1806.
Signed in the presence of JOHN MILLER, L. S.
WILLIAM GOODLOE.
his
WILLIAM X KARR.
mark
At a court held for Madison County on the 5th day of December, 1806, this will was proved to be the last will and testament of John Miller, dec'd, by the oath of William Karr, a witness thereto, as the law directs, and William Goodloe, another witness thereto, who swore he subscribed his name to said will in the presence of said deceased, which was ordered to be recorded.
Attest: WILL. IRVINE, C. M. C.

At a court held for Madison County on the 5th day of December, 1806, this will was proved to be the last will and testament of John Miller, dec'd, by the oath of William Karr, a witness thereto, as the law directs, and William Goodloe, another witness thereto, who swore he subscribed his name to said will in the presence of said deceased, which was ordered to be recorded.

Attest: WILL. IRVINE, C. M. C.

They were both members of the Viney Fork Baptist Church

More About JOHN REID and ANNA MILLER:
Marriage: April 19, 1796, Madison Co. Kentucky

More About JOHN REID and ADELINE PHILLIPS:
Marriage: July 08, 1845, Kentucky

Children of JOHN REID and ANNA MILLER are:
28. i. MARY "POLLY"10 REID, b. Bet. May 05, 1795 - May 06, 1798, Madison Co., Kentucky; d. December 02, 1872, Hancock Co., Illinois.
29. ii. GARLAND REID, b. February 05, 1797, Madison Co. Kentucky; d. 1859.
30. iii. JANE M. REID, b. February 12, 1800.
31. iv. JOHN MILLER REID, b. October 27, 1801, Richmond, Madison Co., Kentucky; d. September 12, 1842, Madison Co., Kentucky.
32. v. LUCINDA REID, b. November 04, 1804, Madison Co. Kentucky.
33. vi. JAMES WASHINGTON REID, b. November 04, 1806, Madison Co., Ky.
34. vii. ELZIRA MILLER REID, b. May 09, 1808.
35. viii. CORINNA T. REID, b. December 22, 1809, Madison Co., Kentucky; d. 1858, Grundy Co., Missouri.
36. ix. WILLIAM W. REID, b. December 02, 1811, Richmond, Madison Co. Kentucky; d. February 23, 1897, Spickard, Grundy Co., Missouri.
x. ANN ELIZABETH REID, b. January 02, 1814, Madison Co., Kentucky; d. June 30, 1855.
37. xi. CHRISTOPHER C."KIT" REID, b. May 19, 1816, Madison Co., Kentucky.
38. xii. JOSEPH M. REID, b. August 23, 1819, Madison Co., Kentucky.
39. xiii. THOMAS JEFFERSON REID, b. September 29, 1821, Madison Co. Kentucky; d. Kingston, Caldwell County, Missouri.
xiv. SUSAN M. REID, b. December 07, 1823; d. October 08, 1892; m. GEORGE ESTILL, March 29, 1844; b. 1819, (from) Howard Co., Missouri.

More About GEORGE ESTILL and SUSAN REID:
Marriage: March 29, 1844

Child of JOHN REID and ADELINE PHILLIPS is:
xv. MARY ANN10 REID, b. July 10, 1848.

9. WILLIAM M.9 REID (JOHN8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born 1781, and died August 1845 in Monroe Co., Missouri. He married SARAH WOODS October 22, 1804 in Garrard Co. Kentucky, daughter of JAMES WOODS and MARY GARLAND. She was born January 01, 1786, and died 1846.

Notes for WILLIAM M. REID:
Abstract of the will of William M. Reid of Madison Co., KY & Monroe Co., MO. Monroe Co., Missouri-Will book A, page 371.
Abstract of will of William Reid. Wife-Sarah Reid, no children mentioned. Witnesses -Hudson Broaddus & Gideon Moberly.
Written 21 Dec 1845
Probated in Paris, Missouri 8 Aug 1846

More About WILLIAM M. REID:
Baptism: August 08, 1845, Monroe Co., Missouri

More About WILLIAM REID and SARAH WOODS:
Marriage: October 22, 1804, Garrard Co. Kentucky

Children of WILLIAM REID and SARAH WOODS are:
i. SYLVESTER10 REID, m. ELIZABETH HUBBARD, August 13, 1829, Madison Co., Kentucky.

More About SYLVESTER REID and ELIZABETH HUBBARD:
Marriage: August 13, 1829, Madison Co., Kentucky

ii. ELIZABETH REID.
iii. ISAAC REID, m. RHODA TATE, September 09, 1825, Madison Co., Kentucky.

More About ISAAC REID and RHODA TATE:
Marriage: September 09, 1825, Madison Co., Kentucky

iv. SARAH "SALLIE" REID, m. THOMAS TODD, January 15, 1829, Madison Co., Kentucky.

More About THOMAS TODD and SARAH REID:
Marriage: January 15, 1829, Madison Co., Kentucky

v. ANDERSON WOODS JR. REID, b. Bet. 1805 - 1816; m. ELIZABETH SNODDY, July 03, 1834, Madison Co., Kentucky.

More About ANDERSON REID and ELIZABETH SNODDY:
Marriage: July 03, 1834, Madison Co., Kentucky

vi. MIRIAM REID, b. Bet. 1813 - 1814; m. ALEXANDER REID OLDHAM, September 15, 1831, Madison Co., Kentucky; b. 1808, Madison Co., Kentucky; d. Missouri.

Notes for MIRIAM REID:
Lived in Monroe or Munroe Co., Missouri

Notes for ALEXANDER REID OLDHAM:
Lived in Monroe or Munroe Co., Missouri

More About ALEXANDER OLDHAM and MIRIAM REID:
Marriage: September 15, 1831, Madison Co., Kentucky

vii. MARY REID, b. 1816.

10. JAMES9 REID (JOHN8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born 1782, and died Bef. December 1835. He married (1) MARY "POLLY" REID February 27, 1816 in Madison Co. Kentucky, daughter of WILLIAM REID and JEMIMA HEDGES. She died Bef. 1834 in Madison Co., Kentucky. He married (2) SARAH HOOTEN May 01, 1834 in Madison Co., Kentucky. She was born Abt. 1800.

Notes for JAMES REID:
In Dec. 1835 James had died and Anderson W. Reid, was listed as administrator of his estate.

Notes for MARY "POLLY" REID:
Name: James REID
Sex: M
Birth: 1796 in South Carolina
Death: 17 FEB 1819 in Alabama

Marriage 1 Mary Polly REID b: 6 MAY 1798
Married: 2 FEB 1819 in Jefferson Co, Alabama
Children
Rial P. REID b: 1820 in Alabama
Anna C REID b: 1821 in Alabama
William Calloway REID b: 1823 in Walker Co, Alabama
Athenial REID b: 1824 in Alabama
Silas REID b: 1825 in Alabama
MANILA b: ABT. 1828 in Alabama
Dennis REID b: 7 FEB 1829 in Jefferson Co, Alabama
Marian Burnetta REID b: 29 FEB 1832
Elias REID b: 29 AUG 1834 in Jefferson Co, Alabama
William Nelson REID b: 1838 in Jefferson Co, Alabama

More About MARY "POLLY" REID:
Surety Bond: W. M. Reid

Baptism: W. M. Reid

More About JAMES REID and MARY REID:
Marriage: February 27, 1816, Madison Co. Kentucky

Notes for SARAH HOOTEN:

James Reid; Second marriage:, he married Mrs. Sarah Robertson, a widow who had been married to William Robertson March 18, 1818, by Benjamin Lrvine, M. G., and her maiden name was Hooten. In Dec., 1835, James Reid was dead, and Anderson W. Reid, was administrator of his estate, and on the 27th, of April 1841, his widow, Sarah married Henry Evans, Mr. Evans and his said wife owned real estate in Richmond, Ky. which they conveyed to John P. Ballard Jan. 10, 1846, and lands on Muddy Creek adjoining Caleb Oldham and others, 100, 56 1/2, and 22 1/2 acres, which they conveyed to Elijah Yates, Dec. 20, 1854.

More About JAMES REID and SARAH HOOTEN:
Marriage: May 01, 1834, Madison Co., Kentucky

Children of JAMES REID and MARY REID are:
i. SOPHIA10 REID, b. Bef. 1834.

Notes for SOPHIA REID:
John Reid, was named guardian of Sophia upon the death of James

ii. SARAH W. REID, b. 1817; m. JEPTHA RICE GILBERT, February 22, 1836, Madison Co., Kentucky.

More About JEPTHA GILBERT and SARAH REID:
Marriage: February 22, 1836, Madison Co., Kentucky

40. iii. SUSAN J.. REID, b. Abt. 1822.

11. ELIZABETH (TWIN) "BETSY"9 REID (JOHN8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born April 27, 1783. She married WILLIAM WILLIAMS October 15, 1805 in Madison Co., Kentucky. He was born Abt. 1780.

Notes for WILLIAM WILLIAMS:

Williams enlisted in the War of 1812, as a private, and for conspicuous bravery was promoted to Colonel.

More About WILLIAM WILLIAMS and ELIZABETH REID:
Marriage: October 15, 1805, Madison Co., Kentucky

Children of ELIZABETH REID and WILLIAM WILLIAMS are:
i. JAMES10 WILLIAMS, b. 1815.

Notes for JAMES WILLIAMS:
James lived and died near the Pond Meeting House, a few miles southwest of Richmond, Kentucky

ii. WILLIAM JR. WILLIAMS, b. June 13, 1815.

Notes for WILLIAM JR. WILLIAMS:
William lived and died near the Pond Meeting House, a few miles southwest of Richmond, Kentucky

12. ANDERSON WOODS9 REID (JOHN8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born April 27, 1783 in Albemarle, Virginia, and died September 19, 1843 in Madison Co., Kentucky (now in area of Colyer). He married (1) CHARLOTTE EMBRY May 02, 1809 in Madison Co. Kentucky, daughter of TARLTON EMBRY and MARION FORTE. She was born August 10, 1791 in Madison Co., Kentucky, and died June 21, 1835 in Madison Co. Kentucky. He married (2) BARBARA ANN SHRITE July 11, 1838.

Notes for ANDERSON WOODS REID:
Anderson Reid went with his parents to Madison County, Kentucky.

He acquired lands on Muddy Creek, on the upper Irvine Road, near Stephens shop, or the village now called Colyer (1907) , on which he built a substantial brick residence and made his permanent home. His wife (Charlotte) died there June 21, 1835, and on the 11th of July 1838, Anderson married Barbara Ann Shrite.

Anderson and Charlotte Reid were buried some 200 yards north of the dwelling and tomb stones properly inscribed mark the graves. The farm in 1906 was owned and occupied by A. Sidney Noland as a home. Anderson Reid was considered a substantial citizen and farmer.

From Deb Garner 11/8/2000
CEMETERY: Bluegrass Army Depot Removed Graves - Cemetery A, Madison Co., KY

Located on US 421 across from the entrance to the Bluegrass Army Depot.

In 1942 the Army purchased 15,000 acres of land in Madison County. To
build the Bluegrass Army Depot on this land, 150 plus family properties
were purchased. As part of the purchase agreement, the graves of family
members had to be exhumed and relocated to properties purchased for that
purpose. Two cemeteries were established, one for "whites" (Cemetery A) on
KY 421 and one for "colored" graves (Cemetery B) on Speedwell Road. There
were a total of 901 bodies in Cemetery A. Most of those are unknown. The
burials in Cemetery B will be covered in the next issue of Connections.
Trustees were appointed for each cemetery and the Army gave a sum of
money for upkeep of the cemeteries. In 1973 the Army notified the
community that it would no longer maintain the cemetery, and since this
time it has been abandoned and the graves have become overgrown. Local
youths have vandalized many graves. An elderly woman who lives next to the
cemetery, Mrs. Nora Leach, has planted trees and restored some of the
graves in the front sections. A large number of graves are in the back
section of the cemetery which is overgrown and in very poor condition.
Mrs. Leach has been mowing the cemetery without compensation for a number
of years. She also raises a garden in the part of the cemetery where there
were no burials; however, part of the garden may have encroached on the
unmarked graves in Section D. A map of the sections could not be obtained.
A spokesman for the Army Depot maintains that the garden is in what was a
parking lot.
Before the graves were moved a preliminary survey was done of each
cemetery. When the graves were moved the contractor also made a list. In
this list he gave the tract number that the grave was moved from and the
section and lot of the new burial place. I have combined these lists below
to try to get a complete list of burials at Cemetery A. The graves with an
asterisk beside them are graves that are in the mowed section of the
cemetery. Most of the other graves appear to be there, but are overgrown
and the tombstones have been knocked down.

More About ANDERSON WOODS REID:
Burial: October 1843, Bluegrass Army Depot Removed Graves - Cemetery A, Madison Co., KY

More About ANDERSON REID and CHARLOTTE EMBRY:
Marriage: May 02, 1809, Madison Co. Kentucky

More About ANDERSON REID and BARBARA SHRITE:
Marriage: July 11, 1838

Children of ANDERSON REID and CHARLOTTE EMBRY are:
41. i. NANCY EMBRY10 REID, b. February 22, 1811, Madison Co. Kentucky; d. May 15, 1834, Madison Co., Kentucky.
ii. WILLIAM LOFTUS REID, b. March 25, 1813, Madison Co., Kentucky.
42. iii. MARY WOODS REID, b. January 06, 1815, Madison Co., Kentucky.
43. iv. JOHN REID, b. 1817, Madison Co. Kentucky; d. 1894.
44. v. MARTHA REID, b. March 27, 1819, Madison Co., Kentucky.
vi. ELIZABETH REID, b. Bet. April 19, 1821 - 1822, Madison Co., Kentucky; m. WILLIAM DENHAM, 1840, Madison Co., Kentucky; b. 1820, Madison Co., Kentucky.

More About WILLIAM DENHAM and ELIZABETH REID:
Marriage: 1840, Madison Co., Kentucky

vii. TALITHA F. REID, b. February 09, 1824, Madison Co. Kentucky; d. Iowa; m. LINDSAY M. THOMAS, February 11, 1841, Madison Co. Kentucky; b. 1817, Kentucky.

More About LINDSAY THOMAS and TALITHA REID:
Marriage: February 11, 1841, Madison Co. Kentucky

45. viii. LOUISA REID, b. March 13, 1826, Madison Co., Kentucky; d. Madison, Kentucky.
ix. TALTON EMBRY REID, b. February 09, 1828, Madison Co., Kentucky; d. August 06, 1829, Madison Co., Kentucky.

More About TALTON EMBRY REID:
Burial: Bluegrass Army Depot Removed Graves - Cemetery A, Madison Co., KY

46. x. JOSEPHUS "JOSEPH" N. REID, b. September 27, 1831, Madison Co. Kentucky; d. Versailles, Woodford Co., Kentucky.

13. MARY "POLLY"9 REID (ALEXANDER8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born Abt. 1786 in Iredell co., North Carolina, and died Aft. 1865 in Walker Co., Georgia. She married ROSS LAZENBEY7 1810 in Iredell co., North Carolina, son of HENRY LAZEBEY and ELEANOR BAGGERLY. He was born 1786 in Iredell Co., North Carolina.

Notes for ROSS LAZENBEY:
Lived in Chattooga Co., Georgia about 1848, then moved to Walker Co., Georgia, living in the Duck Creek area on Broomtown Road. Buried with his wife at Lafayette cemetary in unmarked graves.

More About ROSS LAZENBEY:
Baptism: Nanci Presley-Holley (nancip-h@worldnet.att.net)

More About ROSS LAZENBEY and MARY REID:
Marriage: 1810, Iredell co., North Carolina

Children of MARY REID and ROSS LAZENBEY are:
i. H. ADAM10 LAZENBEY, b. 1812; d. 1874; m. ELVIRA TOMLINSON.
ii. CALVIN REID LAZENBEY, b. 1814; m. EMMA ???.
iii. ROSS M. LAZENBEY, b. 1816.
iv. ALEXANDER MELVIN LAZENBEY, b. Abt. 1817.
47. v. ELEANOR LOUISA LAZENBEY, b. Abt. 1817; d. 1876.
48. vi. HUMPHREY B. LAZENBEY, b. November 02, 1818; d. July 1887.
vii. ADELINE LAZENBEY, b. 1820; m. JOHN FRANKLIN TOMLISON.
viii. MARY E. "POLLY" LAZENBEY, b. 1823; d. May 30, 1897, Walker Co., Georgia.
49. ix. JOHN KNOX LAZENBEY, b. 1828, Iredell co., North Carolina; d. 1878, Walker Co., Georgia.
x. CURTIS LAZENBEY, b. 1830; d. Civil War at Gettysburg.
50. xi. LAMIRA LAZENBEY, b. 1831; d. March 21, 1904.
xii. WILLIAM R. LAZENBEY, b. 1833; d. 1896.

More About WILLIAM R. LAZENBEY:
Military service: Civil War Confederate Army Pensioner

xiii. SARA MELISSA LAZENBEY, b. Bet. 1835 - 1837; d. 1884.

14. JANE M.9 REID (SAMUEL8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) She married SAMUEL KINNAMON March 25, 1834 in Blount Co., Tennessee. He was born Abt. 1806 in North Carolina, and died in Georgia.

More About SAMUEL KINNAMON and JANE REID:
Marriage: March 25, 1834, Blount Co., Tennessee

Child of JANE REID and SAMUEL KINNAMON is:
i. JOHN M10 KINNAMON, b. July 16, 1834; d. February 08, 1917, Whitefield County, Georgia; m. (1) CAROLINE DALTON; m. (2) RACHEL C GOOD, April 04, 1899.

More About JOHN KINNAMON and RACHEL GOOD:
Marriage: April 04, 1899

15. MARY "POLLY"9 REID (SAMUEL8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born December 04, 1793 in Fort Loudon, Louden Co., Tennessee, and died September 07, 1854 in Big Springs, Blount Co., Tennessee. She married JAMES COCHRAN October 08, 1812 in Maryville, Blount County, Tennessee, son of PAUL COCHRAN and MARTHA GREER. He was born May 02, 1786 in Near Morganton, Mecklenberg Co., North Carolina, and died September 26, 1851 in Blount Co., Tennessee.

Burial: Big Springs Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Blount Co., Tennessee

More About JAMES COCHRAN:
Burial: resbyterian Church Cemetery, Blount Co., Tennessee

More About JAMES COCHRAN and MARY REID:
Marriage: October 08, 1812, Maryville, Blount County, Tennessee

Children of MARY REID and JAMES COCHRAN are:
i. TIRSA TIRGAH10 COCHRAN, b. December 27, 1814, Blount County, Tennessee; d. September 26, 1890, Blount Co., Tennessee.

More About TIRSA TIRGAH COCHRAN:
Burial: Big Springs Presbyterian Cemetery, Blount Co., Tennessee

ii. SAMUEL COCHRAN, b. March 15, 1816, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. May 21, 1891.
iii. JANE COCHRAN, b. November 18, 1817, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. December 10, 1864, Blount Co., Tennessee.

More About JANE COCHRAN:

iv. ISAAC WILEY COCHRAN, b. October 11, 1819, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. January 16, 1873, Big Springs, Blount Co., Tennessee; m. NANCY HENRY, January 09, 1849, Tennessee; b. May 12, 1829.

More About ISAAC COCHRAN and NANCY HENRY:
Marriage: January 09, 1849, Tennessee

v. ROBERT STERLING COCHRAN, b. November 18, 1821, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. September 06, 1894.
vi. MARTHA COCHRAN, b. September 26, 1823, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. May 04, 1908.

More About MARTHA COCHRAN:

vii. MARY COCHRAN, b. September 21, 1825, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. May 02, 1909, Probably Blount Co., Tennessee.

More About MARY COCHRAN:

51. viii. JAMES BRICE COCHRAN, b. October 11, 1827, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. May 04, 1910.
ix. MATTHEW HENRY COCHRAN, b. Bet. October 17, 1830 - 1831, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. March 25, 1899, Blount Co., Tennessee.

More About MATTHEW HENRY COCHRAN:

x. NANCY NARCISSA COCHRAN, b. August 29, 1834, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. May 05, 1912, Blount Co., Tennessee.

More About NANCY NARCISSA COCHRAN:

xi. ESTHER ANN COCHRAN, b. December 04, 1837, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. November 14, 1910, Blount Co., Tennessee.

More About ESTHER ANN COCHRAN:

xii. SILAS ALEXANDER COCHRAN, b. September 23, 1839, Blount Co., Tennessee; d. April 03, 1842, Blount Co., Tennessee.

More About SILAS ALEXANDER COCHRAN:

16. SAMUEL MOORE9 REID (SAMUEL8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born October 01, 1801 in Blount Co, Tennessee, and died February 1858 in Benton, Polk Co. Tennessee. He married THERSA (MARY?) STONE 1830 in Tennessee or Alabama. She was born January 1809 in Alabama, and died August 1848 in Benton, Polk Co. Tennessee.

More About SAMUEL MOORE REID:
Burial: Benton Cemetery, Polk Co., Tennessee
Census: 1830, McMinn Co. Tennessee

More About THERSA (MARY?) STONE:
Burial: Benton Cemetery Polk Co., Tennessee

More About SAMUEL REID and THERSA STONE:
Marriage: 1830, Tennessee or Alabama

Children of SAMUEL REID and THERSA STONE are:
52. i. JAMES NAPOLEAN10 REID, b. May 25, 1830, Benton Co., Tennessee; d. September 21, 1893, Jasper, Hamilton Co., Florida.
ii. NANCY (TWIN) REID, b. 1831, Tennessee.

More About NANCY (TWIN) REID:
Census: 1850, Benton, Polk Co., Tennesee with Samuel Reid and family

iii. JACKSON S. (TWIN) REID, b. 1831, Benton, Polk Co., Tennessee; d. 1831, Benton, Polk Co., Tennessee.

More About JACKSON S. (TWIN) REID:

iv. JACKSON L. REID, b. December 1832, Benton, Polk County, Tennessee; d. Bet. April 01, 1859 - March 04, 1907, Benton, Polk County, Tennessee.

More About JACKSON L. REID:

53. v. MARY ANN REID, b. May 14, 1838, Polk Co. Tennessee; d. April 06, 1906, Spring City , Rhea Co., Tennessee.
vi. M. L. REID, b. January 11, 1841; d. February 16, 1863, Benton Co. Tennessee.

More About M. L. REID:
Burial: Benton Cemetery , Benton Co. Tennessee

54. vii. MARTIN VANBUREN REID, b. July 21, 1841, Benton, Polk County, Tennessee; d. March 04, 1907, Spring City, Rhea Co., Tennessee.
viii. ELIZA JANE REID, b. 1843; d. Bef. 1937, Kansas; m. TOM BOWLING/BOLING, Kansas City, Missouri.

More About TOM BOWLING/BOLING and ELIZA REID:
Marriage: Kansas City, Missouri

ix. SAMUEL HOUSTON REID, b. 1844; d. June 05, 1864, Piedmont, Virginia during the Battle at Piedmont.

Notes for SAMUEL HOUSTON REID:
Enter military service at age 16
Military: Co. C. 3rd Tennessee Infantry

More About SAMUEL HOUSTON REID:
Burial: Virginia

17. JAMES NAPOLEAN9 REID (SAMUEL8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born Abt. 1802. He married POLLY B THOMPSON August 12, 1823 in Blount Co., Tennessee.

More About JAMES REID and POLLY THOMPSON:
Marriage: August 12, 1823, Blount Co., Tennessee

Child of JAMES REID and POLLY THOMPSON is:
55. i. JAMES10 REID, b. Abt. 1825.

18. ANNA9 REID (SAMUEL8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born Abt. 1804. She married (1) ISAAC ALLEN November 13, 1821 in Blount Co., Tennessee, son of ROBERT ALLEN and MARY FERGUSON. He was born August 08, 1800, and died in Lane, Kansas. She married (2) GEORGE WADE November 19, 1829 in McMinn Co., Tenness.

Notes for ISAAC ALLEN:
Went to Kansas around 1860 then to Franklin, Missouri

More About ISAAC ALLEN and ANNA REID:
Marriage: November 13, 1821, Blount Co., Tennessee

More About GEORGE WADE and ANNA REID:
Marriage: November 19, 1829, McMinn Co., Tenness

Children of ANNA REID and ISAAC ALLEN are:
i. ELIZA10 ALLEN.
ii. NANCY ALLEN.
iii. ELIJAH ALLEN.
iv. POLLY ALLEN.
v. HETTY ALLEN.
vi. LUCY ALLEN.

19. ANNA9 REID (DAVID8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1)8 was born September 25, 1786 in Tennessee, and died March 18, 1831 in Maryville, Blount Co., Tennessee. She married ROBERT BOGLE May 28, 1805 in Rockbridge, Botetourt Co., Virginia, son of JAMES BOGLE and NANCY NELSON. He was born November 19, 1782 in Virginia, and died March 09, 1873 in Maryville, Blount Co., Tennessee.

More About ANNA REID:
Burial: Hyde Park, Maryville, Blount Co. Tennessee

More About ROBERT BOGLE:
Baptism: Leila Eldridge D'Aiutolo, 53 Statesville Quarry Road, Lafayette, New Jersey

More About ROBERT BOGLE and ANNA REID:
Marriage: May 28, 1805, Rockbridge, Botetourt Co., Virginia

Children of ANNA REID and ROBERT BOGLE are:
i. LEVINIA10 BOGLE, b. September 29, 1806; d. February 21, 1820.
56. ii. LUCINDA "LUCY" MARIAH BOGLE, b. September 19, 1809, Plymouth Co., Tennessee; d. May 20, 1888, Atlanta, Georgia.
57. iii. HARRIET NELSON BOGLE, b. December 24, 1813; d. August 27, 1876.
58. iv. MARTHA WASHINGTON BOGLE, b. June 24, 1816; d. January 22, 1898.
v. NANCY JEAN BOGLE, b. January 02, 1820; d. July 24, 1851, Blount Co., Tennesse; m. JEREMIAH MALONE, August 04, 1844, Blount Co., Tennessee; b. Abt. 1818.

More About NANCY JEAN BOGLE:

More About JEREMIAH MALONE and NANCY BOGLE:
Marriage: August 04, 1844, Blount Co., Tennessee

20. GEORGE9 REID (DAVID8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born 1790 in Rowan Co., North Carolina. He married ELIZABETH HOUPE. She was born 1794.

Child of GEORGE REID and ELIZABETH HOUPE is:
i. NO10 ISSUE.

21. FRANKLIN9 REID (DAVID8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born 1794 in Rowan, North Carolina. He married ALBY ???. She was born 1798 in Rowan Co., North Carolina.

Children of FRANKLIN REID and ALBY ??? are:
59. i. ROMULUS10 REID, b. Abt. 1820, Rowan Co., North Carolina.
60. ii. BETTIE REID, b. Abt. 1822, Rowan Co., North Carolina.
61. iii. SALLIE REID, b. Abt. 1824, Rowan Co., North Carolina.

22. JAMES9 REID (DAVID8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born 1800 in Rowan Co., North Carolina. He married ??? LAZENBY. She was born 1804 in Rowan Co., North Carolina.

Children of JAMES REID and ??? LAZENBY are:
i. NETTIE10 REID, b. 1826.
ii. IDA REID, b. 1828; m. ??? BURGESS.

23. WILLIAM CALLOWAY9 REID (JAMES8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born 1823 in Walker Co., Alabama, and died Abt. 1864. He married MARINDA LOMIDA COOK 1842 in Alabama. She was born November 08, 1823 in Blount Co., Alabama, and died July 16, 1900 in Spicewood, Texas.

More About WILLIAM REID and MARINDA COOK:
Marriage: 1842, Alabama

Children of WILLIAM REID and MARINDA COOK are:
i. MARTHA10 REID, b. Texas.
ii. WILLIAM HARVEY REID, b. 1843, Alabama.
iii. JAMES AUSTIN REID, b. 1846, Alabama.
62. iv. LETTIE ANN BURNETTY REID, b. February 24, 1848; d. December 28, 1889, Pontotoc, Mason Co, Texas.
v. MONROE REID, b. 1850, Alabama.
vi. MILES CALLOWAY REID, b. 1852, Alabama; d. May 1924, Blount Co., Alabama; m. ELIZABETH "BIRDIE" ???.

Notes for MILES CALLOWAY REID:
1880 Census Place: Township 14, Blount, Alabama
Source: FHL Film 1254002 National Archives Film T9-0002 Page 525A
Relation Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
Miles C. REID Self M M W 29 AL
Occ: Farmer Fa: AL Mo: AL
Elisabeth REID Wife F M W 33 AL
Occ: Keeping House Fa: AL Mo: SC

vii. PARALEE REID, b. 1854, Alabama.
viii. JEREMIAH HOUSTON REID, b. October 08, 1856, Alabama.
ix. ELMIRA L REID, b. May 07, 1857, Texas.
x. ELIZABETH REID, b. 1860, Texas.

24. DENNIS9 REID (JAMES8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born February 27, 1830 in Jefferson Co., Alabama, and died April 09, 1907 in Blount Co., Alabama. He married SALEMMA CALVERT, daughter of JAMES CALVERT and ALBITHA CANNON. She was born February 04, 1831 in Blount Co., Alabama, and died February 29, 1908 in Blount Co., Alabama.

Notes for DENNIS REID:
Census Place: Township 13, Blount, Alabama
Source: FHL Film 1254002 National Archives Film T9-0002 Page 478B
Denis RIED Self M M W 52 AL
Occ: Farmer Fa: AL Mo: AL
Selema RIED Wife F M W 55 AL
Occ: Keeping House Fa: AL Mo: AL
Mary A. B. RIED Dau F S W 23 AL
Fa: AL Mo: AL
Alba M. A. RIED Dau F S W 13 AL
Occ: At Home Fa: AL Mo: AL
Elias D. RIED Son M S W 11 AL
Occ: Works On Farm Fa: AL Mo: AL

More About DENNIS REID:

Child of DENNIS REID and SALEMMA CALVERT is:
i. MARY A.10 REID, b. October 07, 1858; d. August 23, 1908.

25. ELIAS9 REID (JAMES8, JOHN7, ALEXANDER6, ANDREW "GENERAL"5, ALEXANDER4, ANDREW3, ANDREW "GENERAL"2, JOHN "MAJOR"1) was born August 29, 1834 in Jefferson Co., Alabama, and died December 19, 1915 in Blount Co., Alabama. He married SELEMMA HUFFSTUTLER. She was born August 20, 1832, and died July 10, 1910 in Blount Co., Alabama.

Notes for ELIAS REID:
1880 Census Place: Township 13, Blount, Alabama
Source: FHL Film 1254002 National Archives Film T9-0002 Page 477D
Elias RIED Self M M W 46 AL
Occ: Farmer Fa: TN Mo: SC
Selema A. RIED Wife F M W 48 AL
Occ: Keeping House Fa: TN Mo: SC
Henry H. RIED Son M S W 18 AL
Louis C. RIED Son M S W 15 AL
Elisabeth D. RIED Dau F S W 13 AL
Occ: At Home Fa: AL Mo: AL

Death Notice

the Sourthern Democrat Dec 23 1915

Elias Reid, one of the oldest citizens of this county died near Dallas Sunday morning about 9 o'clock. He was sick for only a few days, his death being due to pnuemonia.

The deceased was 80 years of age and was one of Blount's best citizens.

He is survived by five sons, Rev. S. F. Reid, Mit Reid, H. H. Reid, Doc Reid., and Mose Reid and one daughter, Mrs. A. L. Washburn.

More About ELIAS REID:

Notes for SELEMMA HUFFSTUTLER:
Something of interest

Spouse 1: Miles Reid
Spouse 2: Elizabeth Huffstutler
Marriage Date: 16 Dec 1868
Marriage Place: Blount
Surety/Bond Date:
Performed By: Minister of Gospel
Surety/Perf. Name: Magers Self
OSPage: 291

More About SELEMMA HUFFSTUTLER:

Children of ELIAS REID and SELEMMA HUFFSTUTLER are:
i. S. F. REV.10 REID.
ii. "MIT" REID.
iii. "DOC" REID.
iv. MARY REID, b. June 07, 1875; d. August 05, 1935, Blount Co., Alabama; m. A. L. WASHBURN; b. April 01, 1876; d. November 10, 1965, Blount Co., Alabama.

More About MARY REID:

More About A. L. WASHBURN:

v. MOSE W. REID, b. December 26, 1876; d. August 05, 1942, Blount Co., Alabama; m. BERTIE P. COX, January 02, 1897; b. October 17, 1882; d. October 11, 1941, Blount Co., Alabama.

More About BERTIE P. COX:

More About MOSE REID and BERTIE COX:
Marriage: January 02, 1897

vi. ALMA REID, b. June 10, 1902, Blount Co., Alabama; d. June 07, 1903, Blount Co., Alabama.

More About ALMA REID:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
treid10494 18 Mar 2003 6:40PM GMT 
KayeVanFleet1... 12 May 2003 5:48AM GMT 
barbturner55 6 Apr 2008 12:40AM GMT 
KayeVanFleet1... 7 Apr 2008 4:29AM GMT 
barbturner55 7 Apr 2008 2:04PM GMT 
budlou1 22 Mar 2005 9:25PM GMT 
rjreid1964 16 Dec 2011 9:53PM GMT 
DollieShannon 18 Dec 2011 6:37PM GMT 
rjreid1964 18 Dec 2011 7:51PM GMT