Search for content in message boards

Rhodes families of Alabama

Replies: 25

NO JOHN "V." RHODES

Posted: 29 Oct 2001 10:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CURRY, DEWITT, KING, MERRILL, RHODES, THORNTON, WILLIAMS
I, too, descend from Hezekiah Rhodes and Elizabeth Nicholls via their son, William Rhodes, Sr. and Hannah Miller. Recurring internet postings referring to a John "V." Rhodes are erroneous. That diffugilty probably arose when someone wished to indicate that the John Rhodes, son of William and Hannah Miller Rhodes, was the FIFTH male descendant of Hezekiah Rhodes of Middlesex County, Virginia Colony, to be named John Rhodes. I have also seen John IV. Rhodes and John VI. Rhodes in internet postings, so the intent is obvious.

To hopefully clear the air, William Rhodes, Sr. and Hannah Miller had NO daughters. Among their five surviving sons, only John and a second son to be named Hezekiah died in North Carolina. (1.) Christopher (named for his great-grandfather?) wed Judith Couch at Orange County NC, then removed to Enoree, Spartanburg District, SC Colony where both subsequently died. Only three of their offspring are known to have migrated west to Henderson County TN: Baptist minister Rev. William Rhodes, Sr. and two sisters.

(2.) William Rhodes, Jr. wed Elizabeth Wofford Abt. 1766 at Union District, SC Colony (NOT Orange County NC) . His occupation was listed in an early SC census as "cooper"-- barrel maker. After producing a number of children--all survivors among whom eventually migrated across the Savannah River into what became Richmond County GA--William and Elizabeth Wofford Rhodes died at Union Co. SC circa 1788. Their progeny established a "new" Rhodes family home at the small hamlet of Hepzibah in SW Richmond County GA where many rest in the Rhodes Family Cemetery.

(3.) It is "believed" that son Benjamin Rhodes first wed a woman named Patience Kelly at Middlesex County VA, then migrated southward with siblings through NC and SC, eventually settling with a 2nd or 3rd wife named Celia ____ at Wilkes County GA, where his death is documented by probated will in 1825. Caveat: A second Benjamin Rhodes with wife Elizabeth is found at Wilkes County GA during the same time period.

My ancestor is the John Rhodes, Sr. erroneously referred to as John "V." Rhodes. He is known to have wed two widows in North Carolina. The first was Eunice Alston Carroll, who he wed 22 Jan. 1756 at Rowan County, NC Colony. Among others, they produced my gr-gr-gr-grandfather, John Rhodes, Jr., who wed an Unknown Wife Abt. 1785 at Rockingham County NC, produced three documented sons, then both parents seemingly disappeared. The second widow John Rhodes, Sr. married (without issue) was Fortune Burton Reeves--widow of Malachi Reeves with several small offspring--who he wed 20 Aug. 1788 at Rockingham County NC. John Rhodes, Sr. died 12 Nov. 1792 at age 62 yrs. at Rockingham County, but his will on file at the North Carolina Archives was probated in Nov. 1792 at Guilford County NC.

Known descendants of John Rhodes, Jr. and Unknown Wife--John I, Jared and Reddin--all migrated to Butler County AL by 1825, where all three married, procreated and died. John Rhodes I wed Mary Curry Abt. 1825 at Butler County AL, producing sons John II, Josiah and Kinchin Rhodes--my gr-gr-grandfather.

Dusty Rhodes
Tallahassee FL
dlrgad@aol.com

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mpointer 21 Sep 2003 11:30PM GMT 
DorothyRhodes... 23 Jun 2001 12:16AM GMT 
DorothyRhodes... 28 Jun 2001 6:28PM GMT 
Linda Landen 12 Nov 2003 3:58AM GMT 
RhondaRhodes 2 Jun 2001 12:45AM GMT 
Nancy 29 Aug 2001 1:48PM GMT 
fchjjh 31 Aug 2001 1:51PM GMT 
Susan 4 Sep 2001 1:41AM GMT 
tode33 25 Sep 2002 4:35AM GMT 
DUSTYCDR 29 Oct 2001 5:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions