Cyprian Ricard and Creole-African Lineage in Louisiana

Replies: 25

Cyprian Ricard and Creole-African Lineage in Louisiana

Victor Patin (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2003 8:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Mar 2004 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Ricard,
I am looking for information about any descendants of Pierre Cyprian Ricard Jr, usually known to history as "Cyprian Ricard," who was mentioned in John Hope Franklin's classic work "From Slavery to Freedom" and was reported to have been the "wealthiest free man of color" in the United States prior to the Civil War.

He apparently inherited a several-hundred acre plantation from his maternal grandfather, owned as many as ninety-one slaves, and was part of a thriving community of free persons of African descent during his lifetime. There is very little known, however, about his life after the Civil War or about his direct descendants. I have fairly reliable information indicating my descent from one of Cyprian Ricard's cousins, but I have another line of Ricards in my ancestry, and my information about that line is incomplete.

I would be interested in corresponding with anybody who knows about the fate of Cyprian Ricard or his children, or who has genealogical information about his direct line of descent. I am also interested in the evolution of the Creole community of African descent in the postwar years, as my entire paternal lineage was part of that subculture in nineteenth century Louisiana.

For my part, I can share some information about the Ricard and Patin Creole lines and have some contacts with people who are willing to share information as well.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Victor Patin 29 Jun 2003 2:48AM GMT 
sheila 24 Dec 2003 4:57PM GMT 
Victor Patin 25 Dec 2003 6:03PM GMT 
mrs_ricard02 20 Sep 2005 4:23PM GMT 
Victor Patin 20 Sep 2005 5:02PM GMT 
mrs_ricard02 2 Dec 2005 4:26PM GMT 
sheila 30 Sep 2005 6:03PM GMT 
tolovelyone 19 Mar 2006 8:20PM GMT 
jackiemoodyri... 20 Mar 2006 4:24AM GMT 
haroldtaylor5... 28 Jan 2007 11:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions