Search for content in message boards

Richmond 1050 -- 2000

Replies: 41

Re: Musard

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 8:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have since found, courtesy of the Domesday Book (www.domesdaymap.co.uk/‎), that before becoming Constable of Richmond, Enisan Musard was the lord of a manor in Cheveley, Cambridgeshire, under Alan Rufus. Cheveley was one of many previous possessions of Edeva the Fair (Edith Swannesha "Gentle Swan") that passed to Alan. Recall that Alan later sustained a love affair with Edeva's daughter Gunnhild, who was his only love, apparently.

The Domesday Book also reveals the astonishing fact that, even after the rebellions of the period 1068-1071, Alan retained in power as many of the old Anglo-Danes as survived. Indeed, he created the "Land of Count Alan" (Richmondshire) as a Norman-free zone: almost all the lords were either Bretons or Anglo-Danes; the only Norman possessions appear to have been one manor owned by King William and one by Robert the Count of Mortain; Bishop Odo, one of the worst of the oppressors of the English, was excluded entirely. In 1082, Alan saw the Bishop deposed as Earl of Kent and imprisoned, and in 1088, largely because of Alan's stand in favour of William II, Odo and Robert were defeated in battle and exiled forever, leaving Alan unquestionably the most powerful magnate after the King. With such power, Alan, to his credit, chose to remain staunchly loyal.

My maternal grandmother's family, the Tweeds of Cambridgeshire, have resided in Cheveley for at least six centuries, and their spouses generally came from nearby towns that had also been under Edeva and then Alan, so the Cheveley connection is of some interest.

"Tweed" is an old, pre-Saxon, British name, which, given the Tweeds' active love of Welsh culture, I suspect is akin to Welsh "Twyd" and Cornish and Breton "Tud", meaning family/kin/clan/people. There is a River Tweed in Leicestershire, apparently given that name by the Bretons, and a River Tud in Norfolk near which Alan Rufus built Costessey Manor. I don't know whether the first Tweeds in Cheveley were Bretons who came over with Alan, ancient Britons who somehow managed to retain their identity in East Anglia, or migrants from Wales or Strathclyde.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
zoetropo 13 Jul 2013 2:15PM GMT 
morganmacleod... 19 Aug 2013 7:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions