Audrey and I are researching the Riker family of Mercer New Jersey, particularly the family of Henry Riker and his wife Margaret Owens, in the course of our research we have come across a lot of Riker records. I am listing these records below:
John Riker b. 11/10/1806 married Ann Smith
Henry Riker Bor 1/11/1820 died 1822 (2 years old)
Mary J. Riker (buried in Trenton), 1837-1922 married George Martin
Riker, John B b. May 17, 1837 - d. 12/14/1907 - wife Mary Bowen b. 4/16/1841 d. 8/9/1893
Riker, Rachel (Van Houten) was born 6 Sep 1871
"David, married Rhoda Riker and their daughter Henriette" buried in Samuel Tuers family burial plot
Riker, Catherine Ann married John Garrison in Bergen Co. NJ on 15 Feb 1825
Riker, Eliza married Hugh Slater on 2 Mar 1842
Riker, Anna Maria marries John Goetsius on 4 Mar 1837
Riker, John married Susan Carlock on 28 Jun 1837
Riker Elma marries John M. Parks 17 Dec 1831
Riker, Hannah married John G. Spears 12 Feb 1829
Riker, Abraham marries Mary Thorp in Morris County NJ on 24 June 1804
Riker, Thomas marries Martha Van Horn Essex County NJ on 27 Jul 1811
Riker, John marries Jane DeGray on 13 Jun 1812
Riker, James marries Hannah Ward on 29 Mar 1798
Riker, John marries Sally DeCamp on 3 Mar 1799
Riker, Asa P. ,
dau Joanna Frances died 9 Feb 1845 (age 5)
dau Sarah Jane died 13 Sep 1839 (age 13 days)
Riker, Peter I. died 2 Aug 1806 (age 53)
wife Martha died 28 Aug 1828 (age 63)
dau Hannah Grover died 19 Oct 1813 (age 18)
dau (twin) Mehetable Gould died 15 Jan 1818 (age 22)
Reeves, Dr. Abner and wife Elizabeth (daughter of General William Reeves and Methetable Gould) Elizabeth died 25 Apr 1814 (age 28)
Riker, William P died 26 Oct 1852 (age 57)
Another Revolutionary War Pension mention for soldier Van Osdoll, John:
"soldier's son in law James Riker" and soldiers grandson, James Riker.....
Another Revolutionary War Pension mention for soldier Dowd, William
"soldier married Hannah Riker in November 1790 - one John Riker made the affidavit and said he was at the wedding of soldier to Hannah and that she and Thomas Riker his brother were married in the same year towit October 1790"
The widow Abigail was filing for this claim and it is stated that:
"Henry Willsey married Abigail in the Spring of 1761 and he died 31 May 1784 and his widow, Abigail married Gerardus Riker who died 4 Oct 1833. A daughter, Elizabeth Willsey Riker made the affidavit in 1838. She stated her parents had 8 children.
A grandson, Gerardus Riker the son of soldier's daughter Elizabeth Riker made an affidavit in NY City on 29 Oct 1838 and he stated that soldier's widow's oldest son was John Willsey.
All stated that Abigail married Gerardus riker on 14 Jul 1817 in Fort Lee, Bergen county at the home of William Riker (no kinship given) soldiers daughter Elizabeth Riker married William Riker cousin of Cornelius Demarest of NY City in 1838.
"the following Riker data was shown (all surnamed Riker)"
William born 28 Jun 1779
Abraham born 28 May 1787
Elizabeth born 4 Mar 1820
William died 24 Jan 1826
Abagale born 13 Aug1835
William born 28 Mar 1837
Gerardus died 13 Oct 1833
Haner born 4 Apr 1832
Gerardus born 12 Apr 1798
Margret born 8 Jan 1758
Gerardus born 13 Nov 1758
Abstracts from Revolutionary War Pension applications for Rikers
Riker, Abraham: Date of app: 22 Aug 1839 (age 84),
· Resident of New Town in Queens County NY
· Married Mary Delanoy on 9 Mar 1779
· Peter Riker age 80 (Abraham’s brother) made the application.
Riker, Gerardus: Date of application 29 Oct 1823 (age 67)
· His widow, Abigail was already pensioned from her first husband, Jacob Willsey (aka Wilsie or Woolsey)
· Gerardus made the application and stated he was born April 1757 in Closter NJ
· Stated his son William Riker served in the Civil War of 1812
Riker, John: (NY Line) born 18 Mar 1765 in Newark, NJ . He then moved to New Paltz, Ulster NY where he lived and married (wife not named).
· A Thomas Riker stated that from “his father’s record” that John Riker was born in March 1765. Thomas’s relationship was not stated.
Riker, John N – NJ Line aged 82 when he applied on 25 Sep 1832.
· On 18 Jun 1834 an Ann Riker and Sarah Jacobus made an affidavit in Essex County, NJ and stated soldier had died on 27 Jan 1834 leaving children Abraham, Nicholas, John, Ralph and Ellinor Riker.
· The relationship of Ann Riker and Sarah Jacobus to soldier’s family was not given.
Riker, Rachel (Van Houten) born 6 Sep 1791
· Signed a power of attorney in Hudson county Nj as heir of deceased soldier (John P. VanHouten) and as widow of one Henry M. Riker, son of Matthew Riker
· Rachel VanHouten married Henry Riker (born 27 Feb 1786), son of Matthew Riker on 10 Jan 1807. Their children were:
· John Riker born 19 Jan 1810
· Hannah Romer Riker born 19 Jan 1812 (married John Speer 12 Feb 1829)
· Elen Maria Riker born 26 Oct 1814 (married John Parks in Dec – no date given)
· Katherine born 30 May 1817
· Eliza Riker born 2 Mar 1820
· John Riker 10 Jun 1823