Search for content in message boards

Roach Family Charlotte and Pittsylvania, VA

Replies: 35

Roach Family Charlotte and Pittsylvania, VA

Posted: 16 May 2009 1:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
I am looking to exchange information with anyone researching the Roach family pre-1830 in this area. I believe the tree of Elijah W. Roach is complete but the information on other members of the John Roach family appear to jump generations. I'm particularly interested in talking with anyone who has explored the Pittsylvania records. I believe at least 2 of John's sons settled in that area for a period of time.
It is clear that James Roach lived in Pittsylvania per his father's will. It also seems likely that the father or the son, John Roach spent at least some time here per early tax records.
What confuses me is that someone born as early as John is reported (1720) is reported to have sired most of his children VERY late (hence my conclusion that there is definately some mixing of the generations).
If one looks at the will of John Roach from Charlotte VA, James is first mentioned. While this would not be conclusive as to James being the eldest it could suggest that.
James Roach lived in Pittsylvania VA for many years. His wife was Mary Barret and he was a rev war veteran.
I'm inclined to believe the son of John, Price Roach, is the man also found intermittently in Pittsylvania County records. On the 1830 Pittsylvania census he is listed as "Brditt Reach" but on inspection it reads Burditt Roach. There appears to be no shortage of varities of spelling of his name (Burdet Price, Berdat, Burdell P., etc.)
This man was likely he who married Elizabeth Mitchell in 1795 Pittsylvania (James Roach married Mary "Barrot" there in 1792). He was also a rev war veteran having served in the 1st Regiment VA Cavalry as a Dragoon. His widow obviously lived for some time after he died because I find continuing entries for her via the pension office.
Has anyone seen the pension records on these men?
My husband's ancestor is Elijah Roach who married Willete/Wilmoth Owen in 1830 Pittsylvania. I believe he is the son of James Roach.
Robin Garland
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
garland_robin 16 May 2009 7:12PM GMT 
AngieRoach51 17 May 2009 12:57AM GMT 
tunnelm1 17 Sep 2009 1:57PM GMT 
garland_robin 17 Sep 2009 5:54PM GMT 
garland_robin 17 Sep 2009 7:07PM GMT 
tunnelm1 18 Sep 2009 12:16AM GMT 
garland_robin 18 Sep 2009 3:24AM GMT 
garland_robin 18 Sep 2009 3:39AM GMT 
tunnelm1 18 Sep 2009 6:30PM GMT 
garland_robin 18 Sep 2009 6:43PM GMT