Search for content in message boards

Thomas Jackson Rodman Cannon Inventor (info from West Point)

Replies: 7

Thomas Jackson Rodman Cannon Inventor (info from West Point)

Posted: 3 Mar 2003 9:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: RODMAN, FENIMORE, ADAMS, CLIME, ADAMS OF NJ
I have just received some very interesting papers from West Point Military Academy's Archives. I sent a letter to then in January asking for any information and papers they may have on Thomas J Rodman. Among the papers is a letter sent to a Gen. Rhodes from Florence Butler daughter of Thomas J Rodman dated May 28, 1931 in Honolulu Hawaii. I think you will find this very interesting I sure did. Here is the contents of the letter.

1804 Hunnewell St
Honolulu, Hawaii
May 28, 1931
My dear General Rhodes,
My neice Mrs. Barnhardt sent me your letter to her, and I wanted to give you the information you ask for. My fathers name was Thomas Jackson not Jefferson. His fathers name was James Rodman and his mothers name was Elizabeth Burton. She was born in Virginia. We know very little of my fathers family but I have heard him say that his people had been Quakers in England. When they left England they went to the Barbadoes before coming to America. Part of the family remained in the east, there are still Rodmans in New Bedford I believe. Part went west to Indiana and Kentucky. My father was born and raised on a farm near Salem, Indiana. He was born July 31, 1816 and died June 7, 1871. He married Martha Anne Black daughter of Doctor John Black a Presbyterian Clergymen from Pittsburgh, PA. My father was a man of the utmost integrity of character, gentle kindly nature and a wonderful inventive genius. His twenty inch gun and giant powder were only a few of the things he invented. I am sorry to say that the letter you speak of having written me never reached me. I would so gladly have given you any information that I could. Believe me, Sincerly yours,
Florence R Butler

Also from the Dictionary of American Biography there is an article that was written from information obtained also from Florence Butler and others. I will just write some of it as there is alot about his military life.

Rodman, Thomas Jackson (July 30, 1815-June 7, 1871) soldier, inventor, was born on a farm near Salem, Ind. His father James Rodman was a descendant of Thomas Rodman, a Quaker physician who came to Newport, RI from Barbados in 1675. His mother was Elizabeth Burton of Virginia. The rest is all about his military service. There is also reference to his children stating 5 sons and 2 daughters.

In the US Army and Navy Journal NY dated Saturday June 17, 1871 is a write up about Thomas Jackson Rodman's death and funeral. It states that in the procession was his wife Martha ,2 sons and daughters followed by the carraige occupied by Walter B Rodman of Salem, IN. and wife and Mrs. M C Cadwallender who was the sister of Thomas J Rodman. of New Albany IN.

They also sent me the death notice of Thomas Jackson Rodman son of the late Gen Thomas J Rodman. He died at Lakeport, CA on June 18, 1919 Mr. Rodman was the brother of Mrs. William P Butler and Mrs. James Cooper Ayers.

Two of Thomas Jackson Rodman's sons went to West Point also. Addison Burton Rodman was admitted to West Point on July 1, 1877 his guardian listed at that time was William Butler. However Addison resigned from the Academy on Dec 18, 1877.

From the Annual Reunion dated June 14, 1910

John Black Rodman was admitted to the Academy on Sept 1, 1863 and graduated on June 15, 1868 commissioned a second Lt. 20th Infantry. John was Colonel when he retired from the military. He married Lizzie Rice daughter of Senator Henry M Rice of Minnisota. John died Aug 20, 1909 at San Francisco, CA, his wife died about 20 years before him. He was survived by one daughter Mrs. George C Barnhardt wife of Capt. George Barnhardt of the fifth calvery stationed at Ft Myers, one son Henry Rodman from San Francisco. He leaves two sisters Mrs. W P Butler widow of Capt W P Butler who is now visting her daughter in England and Mrs. J C Ayers widow of Capt. J C Ayers. Colonel Rodman is also survived by three brothers, Thomas J Rodman a lawyer whose home is in San Francisco, Robert S Rodman of Lakeport, CA and A B Rodman od Woodlawn, CA.

Anyone interested in this information contact me directly.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hemmi 4 Mar 2003 4:18AM GMT 
tandlrodman_1 8 Mar 2003 1:54AM GMT 
NORMCARKEEK80 12 Jun 2008 12:54AM GMT 
Morrison Webb 14 Feb 2011 1:17AM GMT 
Ray Turner 13 Dec 2004 2:21PM GMT 
sihrman 1 May 2006 11:32PM GMT 
mrsbryan 2 Nov 2008 6:21PM GMT 
hemmi 4 Nov 2008 12:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic