Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Rolfe family of Ingram County, MI

Replies: 11

Re: Benjamin Rolfe family of Ingram County, MI

Ozzi (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2002 2:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Dennis,
This Rolph family is not mine, only information I've picked up along the way, but I'm happy to share it with you.
It's called "Rolfe Settlement"
Ephraim, Nathan, Benjamin, Ira, Hazen and Manasseh Rolfe, from vermont and NY, all located in the township. (Ira Rolfe was directly from Thetford, Orange Co. VT. His brothers had lived in Genessee Co NY. Ira is the only surivor of the brothers, and is 78 years of age.)

The Rolfe's settled in the southwestern part of the township. Nathan, Benjamin and Ira came together in the summer of 1838, reaching Detroit June 30th. Ephraim, Hazen and Mannasseh came afterward at intervals of a year or two. The last named was a physician, and removed subsequently to Eaton Rapids, where he died from the effects of a dissecting wound. When the Rolfe's first came to the township the only improvement therein was on the site of Mason, where a small clearing had been made and a log house built. Ira Rolfe built a house on the place he now occupies in Vevay upon his first arrival, but left his family at Saline, Washtenaw Co, MI and did not become a permanent settler until 1838, having engaged in the meantime in teaming back and forth from Saline. The six brothers settled in one neighborhood, and in the midst of a dense forest.

the second story is about the settlement of the Rolfe's in this township and was written by his son, Alvin Rolfe.
"In 1834 my father, Benjamin Rolfe, and family moved from Thetford, Orange Co VT to Genesee Co NY. They stayed there until June 1836, then moved to Mi."

"The first lumber we got in Jackson was for a coffin for a sister of mine. she died 7 April 1837, and I think was the first person who died in the town."

The rest of the story is descriptive, no help with genealogical ties.

The Abstracts of the Rev. war pension files deal with this same family. The soldier who is applying for the pension is Ephraim, b 8 Feb 1758, m: Lucy Russ 10 Aug 1788 in Derryfield (now Manchester) NH. Soldier died in 1828. Lucy was born 9 May 1760. Soldier applied for pension 2 Dec 1818 at Thetford, Orange Co VT. Soldier died 5 Oct 1828. In 1820 soldier refered to his 4 children at home: a widowed daughter Sally age 27;Lucy 20: Sophier 15: Iver 17. Also a grandchild, age 7. In 1843 a Benjamin Rolfe made affd't in Ingham Co MI, but his relationship, if any, to soldiers' family is not given..

That's all that I have on this family, it doesn't look as tho it's going to be helpful for you. Good luck..

Ozzi
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Dennis Roth 18 Sep 2002 1:28AM GMT 
Ozzi 19 Sep 2002 5:41PM GMT 
Dennis Roth 21 Sep 2002 5:43PM GMT 
Ozzi 21 Sep 2002 8:24PM GMT 
caroljentsch 26 Oct 2005 6:27PM GMT 
agwalt 28 Feb 2008 7:37PM GMT 
darren_muelle... 12 Mar 2008 10:15PM GMT 
caroljentsch 24 May 2008 2:37AM GMT 
caroljentsch 28 Sep 2009 12:48AM GMT 
busybody84 25 Nov 2012 4:01PM GMT