Search for content in message boards

Ephraim and Annie (Badger) Rolfe

Replies: 5

Re: Ephraim and Annie (Badger) Rolfe

Posted: 28 Feb 2008 12:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
2/28/2008

Ephraim Rolf and Anna Badger were married on Oct. 13, 1803 in Norwich, Vermont by Elisha Burton, J. P. If Sophronia was born in 1804, she would be their eldest child (as she gives her age as younger is several censuses, I wonder, do you have something with her exact birth date?). They are probably the Ephraim Rolfe and Anna Rolfe who are mentioned as being members of the Jamestown Baptist Church in Ellicott twp, Chautauqua county, NY in April 1832, but I have not found any other source for them there, as they probably would have come and gone between censuses. Your Ephraim had two brothers living in upstate NY at that time, Jonathan in Genesee co. and William in Yates co. There are, also, at least 2, and perhaps more separate Rolfe families in the same general area of New York state during that period, mainly in Steuben and Tompkins counties, including at least one other Ephraim and Jonathan.

By the 1840 census, Ephraim, son of Ephraim & Lucy, is located at Rolfe Corners in Ingram co., Michigan, where he died on either Sept. 5 or Sept. 8, 1860 (one date is on his tombstone, and on the probate packet of his estate). His tombstone gives his age at death as 80 yr. 8 mo 13 days, which would give him a birth date of either Dec. 23 or Dec 26, 1779. As there is no official record of his parent’s marriage, either they remembered the year wrong, he got his age wrong, or he was illegitimate, the last of which I strongly doubt. There is a great deal of information on the Rolfe brothers on the Ingham county, Michigan GenWeb site, they settled in Vevay Township, but then spread out in that area.

Ephraim named his brother Hazen Rolfe as his executor, and Hazen gave a list of the heirs on Jan. 8, 1861 as: widow Esther; Ephraim, Orange, Watson, and Merilla Rolfe of Michigan; Reuben Rolfe of Canada (all children of the deceased); Sophronia Rolfe of Michigan. The will was dated Jan 20, 1860, and names sons Watson, Reuben, Orange, and Ephraim, daughter Marilla, wife Esther, adopted daughter Frances H. Wilson.

As New York state did not keep official marriage records until the 1890s, I do not know when Ephraim’s wife Anna died and he remarried. Esther Rolfe’s age is given as 44 years in the 1850 census, and the only woman listed in his household in 1840 is between 30 and 39, so he and Esther were probably married by then.

The following article, while it is about the descendents of Ephraim Jr.’s brother, Jonathan Rolfe, gives a short background on the family.

I have a great deal of information on the Ephraim Rolfe, Sr. family and their background, if you want to get in touch with me directly.

Anne
agwalt@earthlink.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Blbear2000 19 Nov 2007 9:07PM GMT 
psltal 20 Nov 2007 2:20AM GMT 
agwalt 28 Feb 2008 7:20PM GMT 
gah1171 1 Mar 2008 7:27AM GMT 
agwalt 1 Mar 2008 6:13PM GMT 
busybody84 25 Nov 2012 6:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions