Search for content in message boards

Rolfe family of Wiltshire/Hampshire

Replies: 0

Rolfe family of Wiltshire/Hampshire

Posted: 14 Oct 2011 2:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
My partner,a Rolfe,has recently discovered that her Family roots are in the area that lies on the Wiltshire?Hampshire border.Alter much research in Record Centres in Winchester,
Chippenham & London a picture has begun to emerge.
We thought a couple of general points would be useful to others researching this family and also hopefully to clarify
some misconceptions.
The Rolfe family we are concerned about begins with John
Rolfe who married Margery Hatchett in Over Wallop Wiltshire in 1600.So far,the origins of both are unknown.What we do know is that they both died in Porton Wiltshire and were buried in Cholderton,also in Wiltshire.
There is,at the moment,no documentation to link this family
with the Rolfe family of Whiteparish.This is not to say that they are not connected just that we have no evidence.
There are many trees that show a John Rolfe,born in Idmiston c1580,lived in Whiteparish,as the father of Edmund Rolfe born in 1606 in Winterbourne Gunner Wiltshire.This is clearly not the case as we have documentary evidence that this John Rolfe followed his brother,Henry,to America where he died.Henry Rolfe's Will clearly mentions his brother John.
There also appear to be family trees which also show this John Rolfe connected to Pocahantas,which is also untrue as that John Rolfe was from Heacham in Norfolk.I have an interest here,as a decendant of John's son Thomas,Anne Bolling,married a distant cousin of mine,William Alexander Dandridge.
We hope some researchers will find this information useful.

Find a board about a specific topic