Search for content in message boards

James Murphy Roquemore

Replies: 10

Re: James Murphy Roquemore

Posted: 13 Aug 2007 10:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edmund Murphy. An Edmund Murphy was the son of Nicholas Murphy who came with Oglethorpe on his second trip, as a ranger. He was the first white child born in Augusta, GA. He was captured after the first siege of Augusta, September 1780, and reportedly the only person who escaped from the house where 13 other captives were hung by the British. As no other Edmund Murphy's have been found in that area (by me), it is near certain that this is the Edmund who is the ALLEGED father of Catherine/Katy Murphy Roquemore.

The problem is, no documentation can be found that he first married Elizabeth Ann Sullivan, the alleged mother of Katy. Further, his known children do not include a Catherine. My uncle, many years ago, came up with Edmund/Elizabeth as parents of Katy. The records I have of his do not include any source. He may have gotten it from the DAR as I know he did for some of his info. DAR records of 60 years ago are known to contain many inaccuracys. I have seen Edmund/Elizabeth in a few other cases, none of which gave a source (e.g., Nell Patten's Roots, Rocks and Recollections; a 1989; The Roquemore Report of 1967 which you cite.).

There is reason to believe that Katy Murphy's father or brother was William B. Murphy who witnessed a deed of James Roquemore, since she/Peter named one of their sons William B. Roquemore. Drury Murphy was also a witness.

I have searched a lot on line without success and consider the parents of Katy one of my dead ends.

I have Katy born 19Nov1783 and married Dec 1798, making her 15 when she married. Their oldest child, James M., was born 1Mar1800 when she was 16. The last of their 15 children was born 23Apr1827, when she was 44. A lot of children over a long period.

Any documented info on Katy's parents would be appreciated.

Dave Reese
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
drr66 13 Aug 2007 4:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions