Search for content in message boards

Peter Roquemore's wife Catherine/Katy Murphey

Replies: 0

Peter Roquemore's wife Catherine/Katy Murphey

Posted: 20 Mar 2008 3:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have done considerable search trying to find anything that ties Katy with Edmund Murphey. So far, there is nothing.
Edmund is a well known person, the first white male born in Augusta, GA and a veteran of the Rev. War. His father, Nicholas, (and mother?) came over on Oglethorpe's second voyage. Nicholas was a ranger and awarded land in Augusta for his service.

Edmund had two marriages and, except for two children's names, little is known about the first and much about the second to Nancy Ann Rhodes (10Feb1785). Katy could not be a child of the second marriage, since it occurred in 1785, i.e., the year after she was born. Several sources allege that Edmund's first wife was named Elizabeth Ann and called Betsy Ann, with no surname provided. About 70 years ago, my uncle did search for his daughter. He stated that her name was Elizabeth Ann Sullivan and provided ancestry, however, he gave NO documentation. Two days ago, I searched the LDS site and found several entries for Edmund. Most concerned his second marriage. Two or three of the remainer gave info on two children of the first marriage. The last one I checked gave his first wife's name as Elizabeth Ann Sullivan, but no info on any children. I will follow that up.

Known children by first marriage were
James, b a1767, married Mary Rhodes 30Jan1786, d 19Apr1798.
Nancy Ann, b a1776, married Aaron Rhodes 24Dec1794,d 10Feb1785
Note: Is seems near certain that the two birth years are estimated from the marriage years, assumming James was 21 and Nancy Ann 18 when married. These two children are likely known because they married into the Rhodes family, the same one that Edmund married into as #2. It appears probable there were other children, one of whom could be Katy, wife of Peter.
James: Although not likely, that he married younger than 21 cannot be ruled out and he certainly could have been older. If we use age 19, that only moves estimated birth up to 1769. We know Katy was born in 1784. If she is Edmund's daughter, it is nearly certain there would be more than one child (Nancy Ann) in the 15 years between James and Katy.

Given the paucity of info from the Murphey side, it appears that extant pertinent info might be more likely on the Sullivan side, assuming that Edmund's first wife was a Sullivan.

At this point, I assume(emphasizing there is no documentation):
1. Katy/Catherine Murphy Roquemore's father was probably Edmund Murphey. (Given: in the early 1900s, everyone was trying to tie their ancestry to a prominent person who had the correct surname.)
2. Edmund's first wife and mother of Katy was probably Elizabeth/Betsy Ann Sullivan.
3. The Drury and William B. Murphey who witnessed a deed for James Roquemore (Peter's father) are probably related to Katy and one may be her father.

I would appreciate any related information anyone may have.

Davis Reese

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions