Search for content in message boards

Robert Ross, Laurens County, SC, 1805

Replies: 1

Robert Ross, Laurens County, SC, 1805

Posted: 5 Aug 2012 10:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ross
I am picking up where I left off about a decade ago researching Ross lines in South Carolina around the turn of the 18th Century.

I am descended from William and Elizabeth "Nee" Ross (indicating her maiden name was "Ross") from South Carolina and have a decent amount of information on William; however, I have very little on Elizabeth. I came across the settlement of Robert Ross' will dated 1805 from Laurens County, SC which includes an Elizabeth Ross. Further, William Ross was an administrator of the will. Therefore, I am looking for anyone who may be researching the descendants of Robert Ross to see if any additional source documentation can be located to substantiate that this "Elizabeth" is in fact the "Elizabeth" who married my William.

I have copy/pasted the settlement of the will below. Additionally, another reason why I feel this is the Elizabeth I am looking for is because all of the names of her siblings and parents were used in William and Elizabeth's family... i.e., the naming pattern is similar.

William Ross descendant thread:
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.ross/609/mb.ashx

Settlement of Robert Ross Will:

Page 195:
State South Carolina, Laurens District}

September 16th - 1805 – we the Leagetees of Robert Ross Dec’d - on this day as Frances Ross from Abbeville District and William Ross of Laurens administrators of Robert Ross Dec’d with us and all in [unknown word] we acknowledge and agree being judges for our likes and chosen guardian we therefore acquit and discharge our administrator Francis & William Ross and their Securities Cal_ John Simpson & David Ross Senr from being part to any trouble thereabout as we have received our equal parts witness our hands. HC

Acknowledged before us
Andrew Speers
James Glen

[Signed]
John Ross
David Ross
Elizabeth (Her Mark +) Ross
Jane (Her Mark +) Ross
Margret R (Mark) Ross

The within being settled according to the Estate of Robert and Margret Ross Dec’d Equally we acknowledge we have received our parts and full satisfaction witness our hands September ??

dist
Andrew Speers
James Glen

[signed]
Francis Ross
William Ross

be remembered that whatever are Margret Ross wife of Robert Ross each Dec’d from the Estate of Wm Talar Dec’d are to be Equally divided amongst us the heirs of Robert and Margret Ross Dec’d acknowledged before us -

[signed]
Andrew Speer
James Glen

Notes:
1. Items with brackets transcriber added
2. Spelling errors were corrected in the transcribed version
3. Transcribed by Jason J. Ross, 5 Aug 2012
4. Source: South Carolina Probate Records, Bound Volumes, 1671-1977, Laurens County Wills, Vol. C1, Image 111. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints website.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jason Ross 5 Aug 2012 4:38PM GMT 
Bobhist 7 Mar 2013 11:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions