Hello everyone: I will be placing the life story written by one of our Ruggles ancestors, Eli Fayette Ruggles. Part of the Ruggles family remained in Michigan, while our part of the family migrated on to California in 1849: Fernando C. Ruggles, his brother Lyman Ruggles, and their cousin Joel Jackson. (Lyman Ruggles was the father of John and Charles Ruggles who were infamous for robbing the Wells Fargo Stage between the town of Shasta and Weaverville in the 1880s.)
I will post the book on this board chapter by chapter so you can read about the life of the pioneers during the 1800s and possibly find some of your own relatives mentioned in the book.
Peggy B. Perazzopbperazzo@comcast.net
Yolo County CA USGenWeb Project Coordinatorhttp://www.cagenweb.com/yolo/
Stone Quarries and Beyondhttp://www.cagenweb.com/quarries/
Introduction & Brief Descendant Chart for the families mentioned in this book: "Recollections of A Busy Life," By Eli Fayette Ruggles, H. L. Ruggles & Co., Publishers, (published circa 1904).
This copy of the book was sent to my great grandmother Augusta Florence (Ruggles) Sears/Wallace/Sears in Esparto, California, where she was living at the time, from H. L. Ruggles, 142 Monroe Street, Chicago, Illinois. August's parents were Fernando C. and Leanna (Kinkle) Ruggles who lived first in Placerville, El Dorado County, in 1849 and about a year later in Woodland, Yolo County, after migrating from Michigan with other family members. States and towns that our Ruggles families lived in include the following: Luzerne County, Pennsylvania; Illinois; Milan, Ohio; Norwalk, Ohio; Berrien County and Van Buren County, Michigan; and Placer County and Yolo County, California et al.
(The book contains the photographs of Eli Fayette Ruggles and his wife Viola. If you would like me to send you a jpeg scan or photocopy of their photographs, let me know.)
(Note: The following family material is not documented or verified. I am presenting it first so you will see the structure of the family. Peggy B. Perazzo)
Partial List of Descendants of Eden Ruggles
(1) Eden RUGGLES (1766 - 1855) b: 13 May 1766 in Brookfield, Connecticut, d: 19 Jan. 1855 in Huron Co., Ohio; Number of children: 11; married Artemesia JACKSON (1771 - 1864) b: 12 Mar 1771 in Brookfield, Connecticut, d: 02 Feb. 1864 in Huron Co., Ohio, Number of children: 11.
(2) Joseph RUGGLES (1792 - 1875), b: 04 Oct. 1792 in Brookfield (near Hartford), Connecticut, d: 02 Aug. 1875 in Decatur, Van Buren Co., Michigan; Number of children: 10; married Sylvia BROWN (1800 - 1870), b: 30 Aug. 1800 in Wilkes Barre, Luzerne Co., Pennsylvania.
Children of JOSEPH RUGGLES and SYLVIA BROWN:
1. FERNANDO CORTEZ RUGGLES, b. 26 Apr 1819, Luzerne Co., Pennsylvania; d. 13 Mar 1896, Woodland, Yolo Co., California. Fernando married Leanna KINKLE (1820 - 1900), b: 05 Dec. 1820 in Delaware Co., Ohio, d: 04 Oct. 1900 in Hanford, Kings Co., California. Number of children: 9.
2. FREMAN D. RUGGLES, b. 14 Jan 1821, Pennsylvania; d. Abt. 1898, Hartford, Van Buren Co., Michigan. Freman married Aravesta WOODMAN. Number of children: 3.
3. MARTIN L. RUGGLES, b. 20 Mar 1823, Pennsylvania; d. Abt. 1864, Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois. Martin married Sarah Ann TAYLOR. Number of children: 4.
4. LYMAN BROWN RUGGLES, b. 03 Apr 1828, Pennsylvania; d. 30 Oct 1896, Near Hanford, Kings Co., California. Lyman married Martha Ann DEXTER (1838 - 1887), b: 13 May 1838 in Illinois, d: 08 Aug. 1887 Near Hanford, Kings Co., California. Number of children: 6.
5. LEWIS RUGGLES, b. 27 Jul 1830, Ohio; d. Abt. 1902. Lewis married Laura BRONNER. Number of children: 4.
6. ELI FAYETTE RUGGLES, b. 02 Nov 1833, Ohio; d. 19 Aug. 1904, Oak Park, Illinois. Eli married Viola (?), b: 1836 in Pennsylvania, Number of children: 7.
7. JOSEPH WESTLEY RUGGLES, b. 02 Dec 1837, Ohio; d. Abt. 1898, Oak Park, Oakland Co., Michigan. Joseph married Luana BALDWIN, d: Aft. Mar 1922. Number of children: 2.
8. SYLVIA MARIA RUGGLES, b. 16 Apr 1840, Michigan. Sylvia married David S. BALDWIN. Number of children: 3.
9. ALVIRIA MELVINA RUGGLES, b. 1842, Michigan; d. 05 Dec. 1849, Decatur, Van Buren Co., Michigan.
10. LUCRECIA ARDILLA RUGGLES, b. 06 Apr 1845, Hartford, Michigan; d. 19 Mar. 1922, Hanford, Kings Co., California. Lucretia married John Westley YOUNG, d: 16 Oct. 1914 in Hanford, Kings Co., California. Number of children: 4.