Search for content in message boards

John, Patrick, Edward Ryan from Tippary to USA ab 1838

Replies: 9

Re: John, Patrick, Edward Ryan from Tippary to USA ab 1838

Posted: 17 Aug 2002 12:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Melanie -

Sorry, I don't know when these Ryans first arrived in Rock County or what part of Ireland they came from. I have found very little on Michael so far. There was mention of a "Mr. Ryan, a farmer who loves four miles southwest of this place, died at his residence Monday" in the Janesville Gazette on Oct 27, 1886. This is a little odd since the date matches, but Evansville is northwest of Janesville, not southwest.

The Gazette also had an obit for his wife Margaret. I put a copy at the bottom of this message.

I don't live in Wisc., so access to the files of the Rock Co Genealogical Society is problematic. I found a person to do a lookup for me in the Mt. Olivet Cemetery records and of the Gazette death records. These are the sources of my data. I also have a copy of Margaret's death certif. I know someone in Madison that is going to take pictures of their headstones for me.

Do you know if there is an index to the Evansville Badger newspaper or where copies may be archived?

Craig Moseley

"MARGARET RYAN IS SUMMONED HENCE

The Deceased Was Eighty Years of Age, and Passed Away Yesterday - Long and Useful Life

Death ended a long life of usefullness yesterday when Mrs. Margaret Ryan answered the final summons and passed away peacefully from the scenes of earth into the life beyond the grave. Deceased was eighty years of age and her death occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. T. Flaherty, 1 (?) Maple Court, with whom Mrs. Ryan had made her home for the past two years. Before coming to Janesville Mrs. Ryan had resided near Evansville for over twenty five years and was one of the most esteemed ladies in that part of the county. She was a woman of lovable christian character and enjoyed the sincere friendship of many people in this city.

She leaves seven children, one son, Christopher Ryan of Evansville, and six daughters, Mrs. Charles Hayward, Evansville; Mrs. W. T. Dooley, Janesville; Mrs. John Doran, Coon Rapids, Iowa; Mrs. W. T. Flaherty, Janesville; Mrs. Ed. Garry, Beloit.

Funeral services will be held at St. Patrick's church tomorrow morning at 9:30 o'clock."

Janesville Gazette, Dec. 12, 1901, p. 8, c. 3

Note: maiden name - Margaret Hefferan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MelanieRice07 30 May 2001 12:32AM GMT 
Kellie E. Ryan 28 Oct 2001 1:05AM GMT 
MelanieRice07 28 Oct 2001 1:27AM GMT 
mcb2511_1 3 Feb 2013 8:07PM GMT 
jef42 29 Oct 2001 5:22PM GMT 
cgmose1 17 Aug 2002 2:18PM GMT 
MelanieRice07 17 Aug 2002 3:27PM GMT 
cgmose1 17 Aug 2002 6:21PM GMT 
MelanieRice07 18 Aug 2002 12:55AM GMT 
MaryCFlah44 30 Jul 2013 7:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions