John A. Rynard, M. D.
John A. Rynard, M. D., was born in Cumberland County, Penn., September 19, 1839, and is a son of Cyrus A. and Susan (Landis) Rynard, natives of Cumberland County, Penn., and of German descent, who had eight children, six daughters and two sons, of whom John A. is the eldest. The pioneer of the Rynard family was Christian Rynard, born in Wurtemburg, Germany, who came to this country about the year 1750, and settled in Northampton County, Penn., where he spent the rest of his life. His eldest son, John, who was born in Northampton County, Penn., and died in Cumberland County, Penn., aged ninety-five years, was the great grandfather of John A., and wrote his name Reinert. His son John, who spent his life in Cumberland County, Penn., was the first to write his name Rynard. The whole family has been more or less interested in agriculture. Our subject spent his younger days on his fatherâ€™s farm; for one year he worked at cabinet making, but in 1858 he attended the normal school at Newville, Penn. The year following he attended a select school at the same place, and in 1860 he attended the Big Spring Academy. In the same year he was licensed to teach in the public schools, and taught eight years, and at the same time followed surveying. In 1869 he began the study of medicine with Dr. S. H. Brehm at Newville, Penn., and in the fall of 1870 entered Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, from which he graduated as M. D. in the class of 1872. He first located at Bloserville, Penn., but after a short time removed to Greasonville, Penn., where he practiced medicine and surgery. In 1880 he was appointed railroad surgeon at Goldsboro by the Northern Central Railway Company, which position he still holds. He was married, in 1863, to Sarah A. Daelhousen, of Cumberland County, Penn., daughter of Daniel Daelhousen. They have four children: Mary E., teacher; Mina B., wife of George W. Wise, of Goldsboro, Penn.; Charles W. and Norman B. Dr. Rynard was a member of the I. O. O. F. Encampment at Newville, while he resided in Cumberland County. He was at one time justice of the peace, which office he resigned when he began the study of medicine. He and his wife are Lutherans.
Taken from the book, â€œHistory of York County, Illustrated 1886â€ by John Gibson, Historical Editor