Search for content in message boards

In 1714

Replies: 2

Halbert's

Posted: 14 Oct 2000 8:22AM GMT
Edited: 7 Sep 2004 2:53PM GMT
Beware the Halberts book. Several sources I have seen claim they are not authentic.

I clipped the following excerpt from one of the links found at:

http://www.geocities.com:0080/WallStreet/5395/heirbook.html

An excellent analysis of the Halbert's outfit was done by Dick Eastman who is the manager of the four genealogy forums on CompuServe and is an expert on genealogy research with the computer. He reports that Halberts is "the most notorious of the mail order companies that send out ads offering to sell… a book that tells all about your family name. These "books" are all mass produced by computers with family surnames and your name inserted in appropriate places."

Eastman goes on to say that "if you are gullible enough to order the book for $34.50 plus another $4.98 for postage and handling, you eventually receive a booklet of general information about how to get started in genealogy research plus many pages of extracts from old telephone directories listing people with the same last name as yours. The Halbert "book" I looked at last year had names and addresses listed for some of my relatives who had been deceased for years."

Eastman reports that Halbert's has been ordered to cease and desist from the false use of family names by the U.S. Postal Service and by court order. However, this has not stopped them. The long and the short of it is that you should not be taken in by them or others like them.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
William Jack Salley 12 Oct 2000 2:49PM GMT 
ejsalley 14 Oct 2000 2:22PM GMT 
William Jack Salley 14 Oct 2000 4:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions