This is the booklet: written at the farm in Aledo, Illinois 1899
While James C. Sample of Indianapolis Ind. and Alvin Edgar Sample from Lyons, KS were here on a visit to our farm Mary A. Anderson Sample( mother) and I wrote the following geneology of the Sample family, mostly from memory. William Caldwell Sample
The earliest knowlage we have of them is four brothers and one sister in Beaver Co. PA---Robert, Caldwell, William, John and Jane or Jennie married name Clark.
They were of Scotch decent
Robert married Anna Kirkpatrick and was a Presbyterian preacher in New Castle, PA for about 30 yrs--finishing that sometime prior to 1838.
Then I found on the Ancestry webb site where there was a family from North C. Samuel Semple and Catherine m. November 8, 1759 They had 8 children and it looks to be that the 4 above here are all included in this family and one child being Caldwell leads me to believe this is the same only there were more children than this booklet mentions.
There was William Sample born jun 23, 1760
Thomas Sample born Feb 20, 1762
Isabella S. born May 13 1764
Caldwell S, born Sept. 7, 1766
Mary S. born Sept. 6, 1768
John S. b. Jun 27, 1770
Agnes S. b. Oct. 25, 1772
Robert S. b. Aug 31, 1775
In the booklet, again:
Robert Sample and Anna Kirkpatric children:
1. Samuel, was a Lawyer
2. Martilla married Moses Elliot of slippory rock PA and raised a large family
3. Angeline married John Breckennidge of New Castle, PA , Had one son a Lawyer.
4. Philo was a Presbyterian minister
5. Florinda died Single
6. Nancy married Lawrence Mc Guffin of New Castle
7. Kirk was a Doctor in Ohio
8. Eliza, Married Wm. Pomeroy
9. Zenesta married a McCready --New Wilmington PA She had four dtrs. two married United Presbyterian ministers.
10. Manurva died young.
William Sample no wife mentioned had
James and William living in Butler or Beaver Co. PA
John Sample no wife mentioned had
1. Samuel Caldwell--was a Lawyer in South Bend in 1833 and died there
2. Thomas Jefferson was a Lawyer and Methodist Preacher in Muncey twon Ind, and died at Vine
3. Russel lived in NY was a traveling salesman.
Caldwell Sample and Martha Houston were married Jan 6th
1791 then married Nancy Mc Conaughy or Mc Conehey sp? in 1808. The first 8 with Martha and the last 5 with Nancy.
1. Samuel b. 1793 married Elizabeth Gray to whom were born 3 sons and 6 daughters.
2. Cintha married Gilbert to whom were born 6 children
3. Uriah sample married Martha Serring to whom were born 3 sons and 5 dtrs.
4.Desmona married James Houston they had 3 sons,
5. Amzi married McWilliam-- 2 sons, 3 dtr.
6.Artamisa married Samuel Date, no children living
7. Smiley married Mc Millen, 1 son-1dtrs.
8. Catherine married Ephiram Bennet, 3 dtrs
9. Eli married Eliza Woodard, 2 sons
10. Martha died single
11. Mary married James Mithcell--3 dtrs, 4 sons
12. John M. married Mary Anderson of Lawrence Co PA April 1839---Mary was still alive at this time and helped to write this booklet--John had already died of small Pox. His son William Caldwell S. went on farming the farm and Mary his mother lived with him and his family in Aledo, Illinois.
13. Nancy died childless in 1899
The last 5 were born to Nacy Mc Conehey who married Caldwell Sample in 1808
Samuel Sample married to Elizabeth Gray had
1. robert died single
5. Emeli married John M. Johnes had one son who lives in Chicago in the R R employee
6. Caroline died single
7. James married Sarah Serring he has 2 sons, and two dtr. Charles married Kale williams and had one girl Gladdis --he is clerk in P. A. ? in Indiana, Ind.
William not married lives in Rock, KS
Ida and bertha keep house for their father in Indianapolis Ind.
8. Samuel died Childless
9. Artimasa died childless
Cinthia Sample Gilbert had
1. Wellington mary Tucker to whom were born Frank who is married and lives in Kingman Kansas
and Emneline Thompson living in Indiana
2. 3. 4. died childless.
Uriah Sample and Marth Serring had
3. William childless
4.Catharine married Clark
5. Hannah married Geo, Morrow had one son Arther is R. Roading near Bloomington, Ill.
6. Unice married Jacob Crull to whom whas born a large family one son Wm and his mother live in Davenport Iowa married Geo Dexter children Wm a methodist. this is disjointed in the booklet and I do not follow.
7. Cinthia preacher in KS
8. Artamisa married John Gardner and one dtr who married
? and lives in Wakalo ? Iowa--1 son and 1 dtr.
Desdamona married to James Houston
1. Douglas died single
2. James and william hen last heard from lived near Sidney Ohio with their father and the mother died
Amzi sample married McWilliam had
1. Scott never married
2. William never married
3. Mary never married
4. carrie never married
5. Elizabeth married Smith Galespie a babtist minester lives near Fort Worth Texas, carrie was a long time Teacher in the Indian school at Carlisle, but is now with Gelespies near fort Worth.
Smiley married McMillen
1. Douglas is dead , left a family names not known
2. Grandville same
3. Columbus same
4. Nepoleon same
5. Bonapart same
Catherine married Ephiram Bennet
1. Hannah died single
2. Mary or Mariah single
3. Jane married John Snoddy lives near Brockvill Ind, had two boy one married David
Eli married eliza Woodard
1. Sidney had two dtrs.his wife is dead He and his family live in New castle, PA
2. Louis married we know nothing about his family think he oves near Youngstown, ohio
Mary married James Mitchell lives near New Brighton and had
1. Missella married Ses? Byers and he died leaving one son Scott who lives in New castle , PA
2. Fannie married A. robinson--no children
There is alot more, but Iam getting tired o typing so will skip the Mitchell family and go to John M. Sample
John M. Sample married Mary A Anderson and had
1. Alvan Edgar who married Latitia Toaz of Brockport, NY.
2. Mary Anetta born Sept 7, 1867 at Aledo, Illinois
3. Elon born Dec 12, 1869 at Aledo
4. Mabel Oct 17th, 1871 at Aledo
5. William A. April 12, 1876 Rice Co, KS
6. Lizzie T. born Nove 12, 1878
7. Jennie P born dec 29, 1880
8. Lottie Nove 8th, 1883
History of their family:
John M. Sample died 1873 while visiting family in New Bedford, PA buried there.
Elon A. died 1847 age 7 in Lawrence Co. PA buried there.
Jennie A. married Edward Park in 1868 lived in iowa then illinois--they have one son Harry S. Park born in Viola, IllinoisSept. 1875 is married to Sadie Pirkens, is a Jewler at Little River, KS
Artamisa died Sept 30th 1854 age 6 years
William C. married Mary Phillips in 1873
1. Roy M. Sample was born 1886
2. Mary Ethel was born 1890
John M. Sample from New Castle PA moved from there to "Alleghany in 1845 from there to New Bedford 1847 from there to Aledo, Mercer Co. Illinois in 1855 In the winter of 1872 and mother went on a visit to PA and he died at A. S. Andersons of New Bedford of smallpox contracted on the way.
Then the group goes on to give the HX of the Anderson same from County Tyrone Ireland in 1762 and on til the US history in PA
We stem from 1.Samuel Semple to 2.Caldwell Sample to 3.John M. Sample to 4.Alvan Edgar Sample to 5.Elon A. Sample to 6.Hobart Elon Sample to me Richard Charles Sample The End