Search for content in message boards

Sanders/Franklin Co., NC; Perry Co., AL

Replies: 15

Re: Sanders/Franklin Co., NC; Perry Co., AL

Todd Sanders (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2001 1:46PM GMT
Surnames: Sanders/Perry Co., AL
Thanks, Deborah, for your reply and all the information that you are willing to share, too. I would be interested in what you have about Vincent Sanders as well as information on the slaves of the other Sanders', too.

As far as we have gone back: the Sanders originated in America first of all in Virginia. We are not sure of who we are actually "connected" until we come across a William Sanders. His wife's name was Sarah (possibly Sarah Regan). He was born some time around the 1740's and died about 1811 in Pendleton District, SC. Before being in South Carolina he was in North Carolina for a while. This accounts for the fact that so many of his children migrated from North Carolina to Tennessee and Alabama and other areas. The Revolutionary War especially spread the Sanders family around quite a bit. For our immediate family: The first of the Sanders went from the Franklin county area ofNorth Carolina into the central Tennessee area. Some of them stayed there, but many moved on including the old William Sanders (father of Green Sanders and Vincent Sanders), Sion Sanders and others. They arrived in Perry county, AL about 1818. Some other Sanders families would come later -- including mine. My 3-great grandfather, William N. Sanders, came from North Carolina about the mid-1840's. His son, my gr.gr.grandfather, Presley Perry Sanders ("Preston", "P.P.") would marry and live in Perry county until about 1886 or so.
Anyway, I have some information on William Sanders (father of Green and the rest). I have information on Green Sanders, and John Sanders (born 1798 and died in 1896 in Perry county). Green married Jane Abbott in the 1830's and John married Jane Cannon, and then married an Elizabeth McLaughlin after Jane died in 1850. John, Jane, and two of their daughters are buried in the Sanders (or some times called Tubb) cemetery up on the ridge across from present-day Union church just north of Marion in Perry county. The cemetery is much grown up. I wish someone could fix it up somehow.
We have come close to the area that Green Sanders lived. We also come close to the area where John Sanders lived. The old William Sanders also had a place in the city of Marion (I wondered if he had a place with the other Sanders' in the Jerico beat area?). We would still like to find more of the precise area that these and other Sanders folks lived. I wish I could especially find where my Presley P. Sanders lived. He may have lived over more toward the Curbville area of the county, not far from the other Sanders' though. I found certain records where Presley's father, William N., had land up near the Sardis church area of Perry county. I wondered if he lived in that area?
We first started our research in Perry county in 1987. It was then that we first met an old african-american man named Henry McLaughlin. At that time he was 102 years old. He only lived a couple of years after that I think. Yet he allowed us to visit with him on his front porch. He lived very near where the Sanders lived. He told us much about remembering how things looked and how things were. He told us he remembered hearing about Green Sanders and other Sanders'. It was so very interesting. Also, another lady that lived just east of Henry (a Mrs. Terry) told us a few things she remembered. Also, we met another african-american man named Puddin Sanders and he showed us where the old cemetery was. We met yet another african-american woman named Ethel Sanders and she told us what she remembered of the Sanders'. They didn't tell us very much but what they did tell us was very interesting.
Mrs. Terry told us that the old Union church used to set just up from her house. She told us that Green Sanders gave the land along with the church to the black people of that time in order for them to have a place of worship. She had an old cemetery that sits up above her house and she said that was the old Union church's cemetery. I checked that cemetery out. It has mostly sunken-in graves and has a few recent-year burials. I believe that a lot of my ancestor people are buried there. Someone told me that probably people went in there and messed the cemetery up and hauled the headstones away over the years. That's a shame. The last article I have on my Presley P. Sanders was found in the Marion paper of 1886. The article was about his house burning down and how he lost most everything. I guess that was the time he moved up near Bessemer, AL where he died and is also buried.
I have a will of John Tubbs and it gives names of the Tubb and Sanders' and other families. We also have connections with the McLaughlin's and Crowe families and others. I am interested to see what you have. Like I said I have accumulated quite a bit of information myself, but there is still much I wished I knew. So please correspond back. E-mail me if it works out easier for you, too. I'll be in touch some more, too, if you'd like. I just have kind of shared with this reply with whatever came to mind. I hope it was helpful for you. By the way, after being in Perry county for a while, some of the Sanders folks went on over into Mississippi and some went over in Texas and some made their way into Louisiana.
We enjoy going to Perry county. It's so peaceful there. My dad and I make a trek to there about 2 or 3 times a year.
By the way, too, Presley's son, Elijah Sanders, was my great-grandfather. He lived at many different places but lived mostly in Jefferson and Tuscaloosa county. My grandfather, his son, was James Monroe Sanders. He lived mostly in and around Bessemer and Birmingham. He died in 1959. Monroe's son, my father, was born near Hueytown, grew up in McCalla (near Bessemer) and lives in Bessemer now.
Please keep in touch. I'll do the same.

Todd
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ToddSanders64 28 May 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Judy 1 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
ToddSanders64 9 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Elias1775 10 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
deborah muirhead 23 Jul 2001 12:39AM GMT 
Todd Sanders 26 Jul 2001 7:46PM GMT 
sshapkido1 15 Jul 2003 2:37AM GMT 
JamieGentry15... 30 Jul 2009 1:20AM GMT 
lanittasander... 1 Apr 2013 7:34PM GMT