Search for content in message boards

John W. Sanders, War of 1812, South Carolina

Replies: 8

Re: John W. Sanders, War of 1812, South Carolina

Posted: 22 Apr 2009 12:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Apr 2009 1:09PM GMT
Surnames: sanders
Your group was quite right in commenting re. date discrepency in posting for John Sanders. Several others
also have commented. The February 1815 is the date his
service ended. He appears to have come to Jackson County
later. It might be helpful to check census records. I doubt that either he or his wife Mary lived until 1851 because I could not find a pension application. 1851 was the year when they began offerring pensions to 1812 veterans and their widows. The SC service record checks out. The record I have indicates that the Thomas Gold Chapter of the Alabama Society of Daughters of 1812 received a request from a family member to dedicate a marker in the Sanders Cemetery and did so in or about Feb of 1860, the date given for the report (filed Feb, 1960) The member of the Thomas Gold chapter who is responsible for filing the report is a Mrs. Jesse Proctor of Scottsboro, Jackson County, AL. I have no way of determining whether she was related to the Sanders family. I would think that someone in the Sanders family submitted John W. Sander's record to the VA (a precondition of the VA providing a Veterans Marker) and asked the Daughters of 1812 to mark and dedicate the grave. Unfortunately, there is no other record, nor anyone we can ask. The Thomas Gold Chapter of Daughters of 1812 no longer exists. It members appear to have died out or off without their being able to interest younger people in the community in becoming members. That present day Sanders may not be able to identify John W.Sanders or determine any relationship does not surprise me. I am assuming that this may be the case -that someone may have asked current family members associated with the cemetery if they knew anything about a John Sanders buried in the cemetery and received a negative. I have learned from experience that the past is often forgotten as also are those whose past actions made what we have in the present possible. In many families no one can go beyond identifying grandparents and MAYBE a couple of their great-grandparents. I will be correct the entry on the web page to indicate that John Sander's service ended in February of 1815. At that time the Battle of New Orleans was over and Sander's having been killed by anyone would be extremely unlikely. Hope this helps. Please address any additional questions or comments to me to the address given on my alabamatrailswar1812.com web site: mshabo@yahoo.com.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GaryB___Sande... 18 Oct 2008 11:59PM GMT 
lawofficer 19 Oct 2008 2:19PM GMT 
lawofficer 19 Oct 2008 2:28PM GMT 
GaryB___Sande... 19 Oct 2008 4:28PM GMT 
wynnewynn 22 Apr 2009 6:20PM GMT 
wynnewynn 22 Apr 2009 7:07PM GMT 
jalindley172 23 Apr 2009 1:26PM GMT 
Thalia_Sander... 27 Jun 2013 1:56PM GMT 
Gary__BSander... 27 Jun 2013 9:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions