Search for content in message boards

Too many Otis Sanders and all from New York....can you help me figure out who is who?

Replies: 0

Too many Otis Sanders and all from New York....can you help me figure out who is who?

Posted: 24 Oct 2013 9:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Oct 2013 9:29AM GMT
Surnames: sanders, martin
Hi, This is a long post and I hope it makes sense.... :)

My main goal here is to try and locate the parents names of my 3rd great grandfather, Otis P. Sanders, born Oct 22, 1810 in Newport, Herkimer, New York. He married my 3rd great grandmother, Thankful Clarissa Martin, born Mar. 30, 1810 in Mass. They married on Oct 2, 1831 in Mass.

Here is what I know about my family:
Otis's middle name may be either Parlin or Paul (I have not been able to figure out which one it is, is it the same person or two different people?) There seems to be several people who believe after Thankful died on Mar. 31, 1852 in Wheeling, Cook, Illinois that Otis remarried a Nancy Willard Luce. I have yet to verify this is the same Otis...the one who married Nancy has a middle name of Paul and I believe my Otis was Parlin. Parlin is a middle name for a lot of Otis's descendants though his son Charles.... which is why I believe P stands for Parlin.

Otis and Thankful had several children:
Delana born July 10, 1832 in Newport, New York

Mary Jane born Nov. 3, 1833 in Newport, NY

Aaron Martin born June 21, 1835 in Newport, NY and died June 20, 1864 in Mountain, Philippines

Laura Ann Develia Sanders born Oct. 30, 1838 in Schuyler, Saratoga, NY and died Nov. 27, 1888 in Weyauwega, Waupaca, Wisconsin

Josiah Parlin Sanders born Feb 3, 1840 in Marcy, Oneida, NY

Charles Noble Sanders (my 2nd great grandfather) born July 11, 1841 in Marcy, NY and died Nov 5, 1912 in Burtrum, Todd, Minnesota

William Mitchell Sanders born Jan. 1, 1843 in Trenton, NY and died at California

Candace Rebecca born Apr 27, 1846 at Trenton, NY

George Albert born Apr 27, 1846 at Trenton, NY

Otis Stillman born Jan 4, 1837 at Newport, NY and died Nov 15, 1920 at Monroe, Snohomish, Washington.

In 1850 my Otis and family are living in Elk Grove, Cook, Illinois. Then in 1860 there is an Otis P. living in Lind, Waupaca, Wisconsin with his family of:
Nancy W. (wife born 1827 at Vermont)
Frank B. (son born 1854 at Illinois)
Francis A (son born 1858 at Wisconsin)

If this is "my" Otis, he would have been in his 50's by the time of birth of the first child.....

Now in this 1860 census there is another family of Sanders living one house above and they are:
Pardon Sanders
Elizabeth, (wife)
Milton P (son)
Orion D (?) (son)

I have found a Pardon Sanders who is the son of a Benjamin Sanders from New York and Ben is born around the same time as Otis. Living this close does anyone know if these two families are related? I am wondering if Benjamin and Otis may be brothers?

Otis P and Nancy are in the 1880 census in Big Stone, MN with their daughter Flora E who was born 1864 in Wisconsin.

1895 Big Stone census has Otis P and Nancy with 2 children: Forest and Kate.
In the 1895 census there is one house down:

J or F B Sanders and family:
Mary J. (wife)
Fred W. (son)
Otis W (son)
Julia B (daughter)
Frank P (son)
Rebecca (daughter)
and I can't read the last name.......Now is this family related???

Otis Paul Sanders died Aug. 10, 1903 in Ward County, North Dakota and his wife Nancy Willard Sanders died Jan. 4, 1915 at the same place. On Find a Grave it also lists 2 of their children:
Francis A Sanders 1858-1920
Forrest Lyttle Sanders 1861-1914

I have yet to find any death or birth record for Otis Parlin....or a birth record of Otis Paul Sanders.....there are also several land assignments in the name of Otis Sanders in Minnesota. How do I know which Otis they belong to or are both of these Otis P. Sanders the same person?

Thank you for your time,
Delayne

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions