Search for content in message boards

Sargent DNA Study

Replies: 14

Sargent DNA Study

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 9:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sargent
If others are Interested in joining a large SARGENT DNA study, you can get information or sign up, as we did at
the Family Tree DNA Study project. I know Ancestry also does a DNA test for less $$, but this is a more concentrated studied Sargent group project @
http://www.familytreedna.com/Default.aspx?c=1

There are already 13 people in this particular Sargent study DNA Group. It includes Sargent Variations like Sergent/Sergeant. But the male must have the Sargent/Sergeant/Sargeant name.

The more people that get involved in the Sargent Study, the more we may be able to get back to an original ancestor in America together.. The basic male 25 marker test is $124.00(there are also other more conclusive test or even female mitochrondial tests that are more expensive, plus shipping.)

If you have any questions go to that site and ask the questions, I am not a spokes person for this study,and know only from personal experience that at one time they helped us on another surname study. If we get a large response it can only be more helpful.

How we personally gathered the money was...Our Sargent line had a reunion picnic and we all talked about what we knew of our first ancestors, then we asked for donations for the Sargent DNA study project. So we pretty much had the money immediately.

We did it for us, and our Sargent family, and for our ancestors...So much documentation had been lost in our earlier lines.

Our family has already done the 25 marker DNA testing on one of our other surnames and it allowed us to tie back to 1640 in Chelmsford, MA and tied us to another "known" descended person that also participated in that study, leaving us to believe that there is almost a 99% chance we are related to the same line or the participant's ancestors brothers,( since brother's share the same DNA.) I personally like it a great deal because it helped me to rule out other lines I WAS NOT related to that I didn't know I wasn't related to until the DNA study results came in.

As I said if you have questions go to the website above and contact Family Tree DNA. They have experts who will answer all your questions, and there is a FAQ(Frequent asked question) page I believe, contact page, and also a forum you can post your known Sargent data to. All you have to do is create a log password, and log in.

I hope this can really help some of us Sargent's tie to an ancestor.

Good Luck,
Penny Kresl
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PennyKresl1 17 Sep 2009 3:51PM GMT 
PennyKresl1 2 Nov 2009 6:00PM GMT 
simonandalexi... 6 Apr 2014 12:10AM GMT 
PennyKresl1 6 Apr 2014 2:50AM GMT 
PennyKresl1 6 Apr 2014 3:33AM GMT 
PennyKresl1 6 Apr 2014 3:52AM GMT 
simonandalexi... 6 Apr 2014 10:11PM GMT 
PennyKresl1 7 Apr 2014 4:41AM GMT 
simonandalexi... 8 Apr 2014 6:35AM GMT