Search for content in message boards

Obituary: Rev. Dr. Thomas SAUNDERS, Winnipeg

Replies: 1

Obituary: Rev. Dr. Thomas SAUNDERS, Winnipeg

Wayne Neily (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2005 12:16AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: SAUNDERS, McDONALD, MARTIN
From Winnipeg Free Press, 18 Jan. 2005 (photo in original).

"Rev. Dr. Thomas Saunders
February 21, 1909 - January 15, 2005

"On January 15, after a long and full life, Thomas Saunders died at Grace Hospital. He is survived by his loving wife, Vera McDonald; three sons, Tom (Keiko), Clark, and Allan (Megumi); seven grandchildren, Christina and Tommy; Andrew (Jenny), Alison, and Katie; and Manna (Rob) and Daniel (Christy); also by two sisters-in-law, Marguerite Saunders of Victoria and Alison Martin of West Vancouver. He was predeceased by his first wife, Janet.

"Dr. Saunders was born near Dunfermline, Scotland, and came to Canada with his family at the age of 11. A graduate in Arts and Theology from United College, he served as United Church minister in Rapid City and Holland, MB; Chalmers Church, Winnipeg; West Vancouver; and St. Norbert; as well as serving as a Canadian army chaplain in Britain and Northwest Europe during the Second World War. In 1960 he joined the staff of the Winnipeg Free Press as an editorial writer, becoming literary editor shortly afterwards. His writings included six books of poetry as well as numerous journal articles and contributions to other books.

"Other involvements included the St. Andrew's Society of Winnipeg, where he served both as president and as chaplain, and the Royal Winnipeg Rifles of which he was chaplain for some years.

"Cremation has taken place. A memorial service will be held at Westworth United Church on Tuesday, January 18 at 2:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations in Dr. Saunders' memory may be made to Westworth United Church Memorial Fund.

Neil Bardahl Inc.
949-2200" [funeral home]

Note from transcriber - I am not related to this Saunders to my knowledge, but am posting this in the hope that it may help other researchers. My Saunders lines are from Wiltshire through Massachusetts and Nova Scotia, and if anyone finds a connection between these and the Scottish ones, please let me know.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Wayne Neily 11 Mar 2005 7:16AM GMT 
John Bellingh... 9 Sep 2013 9:20AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic