Search for content in message boards

Saunders of Alabama, Lemoine

Replies: 0

Saunders of Alabama, Lemoine

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 5:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 5:49PM GMT
Surnames: lemoine saunders shackelford neale braxton
Old letter written July 22, 1848 by Josephine Lemoine in Durrettsville, Virginia and sent to her uncle George Saunders in Livingston, Alabama.
She was the daughter of Fereol Lemoine and Ann Maria Saunders.

Addressed to George B. Saunders, Esq., Livingston, Alabama

Durrettsville Post Office, Virginia
22 July 1848

My dear uncle,

I feel quite mortified that have not written to you before now but I can assure you that it was not because I did not think of you. Ma has been quite unwell for several months, but she has been in very good health for several weeks. She has a fine son called Moreau about two months old. If you do not pay us a visit soon, your niece and nephews will be innumerable. You have 15 nieces and nephews now.

My dear uncle, if you will make us a visit we will promise not to call you uncle too loud as it would make you appear quite old. Edgar desires me to say to you that he is trying to study very hard to be prepared for business that you may take him out with you when you pay us a visit. He wears ____ and boots but he does not share__ yet. He says you must not think for a moment that he has forgotten you as he has not written to you. But you may expect a letter from him soon.

The neighborhood is quite dull at this time but I expect it will be very gay in two or three years as there are a great many young girls and boys which will be grown about that time. Aunt Juliet Ann and Miss Lucy Shackelford spent the day with us a few days ago. Miss Shackelford is not at all pretty but as it is said her father is making money & expect that will make her quite a belle.

Grandma was to see us a few weeks ago and her health is much better than it has been. Pa spent the day with Uncle Neale yesterday and he still retains his good looks although he is quite old. He speaks of you and Uncle William very often and will be pleased to get letters from you at any time.

There is a Methodist Quarterly Meeting going on at the courthouse and has been going on for a week and it has not ended yet, and there has been a great many converts. Young John Braxton and a great many of our acquaintances that we have not heard yet.

Dear uncle, I was very much disappointed that I did not go to school this spring owing to Ma not being able to keep house for several weeks. Pa has promised to ____ me the first of September. I will write to you when I go to school and let you know how I progress in my studies. tell Uncle William Edgar says he will write to him soon and he must write to him oftener. We all join in affectionate love to you.

From your affectionate niece,
Josephine Lemoine

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions