Search for content in message boards

Scott families Maryland, DC, Northern Va

Replies: 14

Calvin Scott and Sarah Saunders

Posted: 23 Apr 2001 7:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Aug 2008 6:35AM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Saunders, Steele, Melichor
Calvin Scott is my husband's 2nd great grandfather. You will find Calvin in the 1850 Morrow County census which is on line on rootsweb. Sarah Saunders was the daughter of Isaac Saunders and Elizabeth Steele. She was born on Dec. 12, 1817 in Lynchburg, Virginia. Isaac was born in 1769 in Hagerstown, MD. Elizabeth Nov. 24, 1777 in Chester County, PA. There is a Steele family genealogy on line. Her father was Thomas Steele, born in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Her mother was Sarah Melichor, born in 1748 in Chester County, PA. Her father was Thomas, born in Germany, and her mother Mary.

Calvin still remains somewhat of a mystery. He may have had a twin named Chauncey. They settled in Perry Township in Richland County, Ohio in the 1840s. Perry Township became a part of Morrow County in 1848.

There was a William Scott is listed in the Washingtown Township, Richland County Census in 1850. Whether he is related I don't know.

Calvin lived in Mansfield, OH; Crown Point, IN; Greencastle, IN; Johnsville, Morrow County, OH. I did not know about Cedar County, Iowa.

Calvin and Sarah had Amanda, Alpheus, Charles Alden, Mary A., Laurilla Salina (Aunt Laura), Marilda,Uncle Doc, and five unknowns. This according to Mary Campbell Scott's sister, Ida Graves Campbell, called Auntie.

Calvin and Sarah's son Charles Alden Scott settled in Carroll County, Missouri.

Born in 1844 in Crawford county, Indiana. Son of Calvin and Sarah A. Scott, nativies of Virginia. His father died in 1857, and his mother now lives with her son in Carrollton. Charles was raised on a farm. He came to DeWitt, Carroll county, Missouri, in 1866, and was engaged there in buying and shipping grain until 1869m when he removed to Battville, Carroll county, and engaged in merchandising until 1872. In that year he came to Carrollton and opened a grocery store, and is still engaged in the grocery business. In 1878 he, in connection with James H. Lawton, purchased what is known as the “Moss Creek” Mill, and in 1880 he, in partnership with Lewis Blakely, bought the Wakanda mill, five miles east of Carrollton. It is run by both water and steam. Mr Scott was married in June, 1867, to Miss Sarah A. Winfree, daughter of Charles Winfree, one of the early settlers of Carroll county, a native of Virginia. They have five children living: Lula, Lewis A., Stella, Charles A. and Herbert. Mr. Scott owns, in addition to his grocery store in Carrollton and an interest in the Wakanda mill, a store in Wakanda, a half interest in a store in Keytesville, (name of firm, C. A. Scott & Co.), and a farm of 600 acres in Carroll county, and is also engaged in feeding cattle and 200 head of hogs per year. Mr. Scott is a member of the Masonic Fraternity.”

Charles Alden Scott aka "Grandpa Scott" aka "Pa". Farmer / businessman - owned five farms along Missouri river near Carrollton, Missouri. Owned livery stable & various other businesses. Built building in Carrollton for livery stable inscribed "C. A. Scott". He sold the "upper place" before he died. Not sure what is the original name of the place where Lewis now lives. Part joins the "Scott-Blakelle" place. Place between is where Uncle Arch lived. Sold the "lower place". One farm was called the "Home Place"

One of Calvin's sons was Herbert Scott, my husband's grand father who was married to Mary Campbell Scott, whose sister Ida Graves Campbell. Ida raised Herbert and his siblings after Mary died, and therefore was a member of the Scott family.

My husband's father was Campbell Alden Scott, and he is Barrie Haley Scott.

I am Quinta Scott, and hope that you see this and tell me more about Calvin.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Brenda Scott 16 Jun 1999 7:16AM GMT 
M. L. Dante 17 Jul 1999 11:09AM GMT 
Ronnie Scott 20 Jul 1999 7:35PM GMT 
Janet Scott Cox 23 Aug 1999 11:56AM GMT 
Barb Hynek 26 Aug 1999 3:33PM GMT 
Quinta1 23 Apr 2001 1:18PM GMT 
vtkelly 17 Aug 2008 3:38AM GMT 
Janet Scott Cox 23 Aug 1999 11:59AM GMT 
bobshane571 26 Jan 2013 6:37PM GMT 
maryrue 4 Sep 1999 9:43PM GMT 
per page