Search for content in message boards

Richard Shackelford & Frances Lynn (Lyne)

Replies: 1

Richard Shackelford & Frances Lynn (Lyne)

kenny shackleford (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2006 6:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shackelford, Dillard
RICHARD SHACKELFORD:

There is no question to the fact that a Richard Shackelford married a Frances Lynn or Lyne. However, there is a question as to whom this Richard was. Is this a son of John Shackelford and possibly Ann Dillard? T. K. Jones states in the Shackelford Clan Magazine, Vol. 10- No 4, August 1954 that he believes this may be a son of James, son of Roger the immigrant. My respect for T. K. Jones research is very deep and I believe that he may have been correct. I may be wrong however, and with that in mind, I will continue.

Richard Shackelford, the one I have as a son of John Shackelford and Ann Dillard, was married to Susannah "Sukey" Rootes. She was married prior to William Livingston, brother of Mary Ann Livingston, first wife of John Shackelford. This seems to fit better at any count due to that link to the Livingstons.

The Richard who married "Ann" has the following Will:

WILL OF RICHARD SHACKELFORD

In the name of God, Amen: I, Richard Shackelford, of Spottsylvania County, being of sound and disposing mind, thank God for it, do make this my last Will and Testament, and do dispose of my worldly estate as follows:

First: I give to my well beloved wife Ann Shackelford, the land and plantation whereon I now live, during her life time; and after her death
my desire is that all my lands be equally divided between my two daughters -- Molly and Betty Shackelford, for them and their heirs
forever.

Second: I give all the rest of my estate to my said wife to maintain her and my two children until my elder daughter comes to a lawful age or marries; and then my desire is, that my estate of every kind be equally divided amongst my widow and my two daughters, and the part that falls to my said wife, which will be a third part, after my wife's death, to be equally divided between my two daughters, for them and their heirs forever.

And in case my said two daughters shall die without issue, then it is my desire that my land and every other thing of my estate of every kind may belong to my brother -- Ambrose Shackelford, and his heirs forever.

Lastly: I appoint my beloved wife -- Ann Shackelford, executrix and my friend James Wigglesworth, executor, of this my last Will and Testament. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal, this the fifth day of April, 1774 (April 5, 1774).

Signed --- Richard Shackelford.

This Richard clearly states in his Will that he was from Spottsylvania County, not North Carolina. It is also clear that Richard, son of John, was from North Carolina. There is some concern as to Frances Lynn. Was her name Frances Ann? I do not know. Richard does state his wife's name as Ann. Spelling also given as Lyne (Echoes of The Past Vol. II).

Inventory and settlement of the estate of Richard Shackelford run from Oct. 14, 1774, to July 3, 1786. It indicates that Elizabeth (Betty) Shackelford, daughter of Richard, married William Ail, though there is nothing in this record to prove it. (The Shackelford Clan Magazine, Vol 4, No 12, April 1949)

William and Walker Aills, their wives, and their wives' mother, Ann Shackelford moved to Kentucky. The family agreed to sell the plantation in Spotsylvania and invest the proceeds in slaves. After the land was sold, they bought two Negro slaves, Phoebe and Dolly. The family moved to Kentucky. Ann Shackelford lived with her son-in-law, Walker Aills during his lifetime. (Mary Wells)

The following is listed on RootsWeb.com:

On Sept. 10, 1764, Richard and wife Frances give to their son Roger in their will 300 pounds Sterling to purchase land which they then rescind and instead give him 700 acres of land located in Bestland Swamp, Essex County, VA. Deed Book 29, page 317.

On April 11, 1796, Richard and Frances give land to Roger Shackleford, Jr. Deed Book 34, page 335 and 336 (Essex County, VA).

This information is posted by Jeff Clark on RootsWeb.com. If this information is correct, and this is the same Richard, then he also had a son, Richard, Jr., in addition to Betty and Molly, daughters mentioned in his Will. He also has listed as sons William and Zachariah. The two daughters he has listed are Frances and Elizabeth. As stated, Betty was short for Elizabeth. Could Frances be Molly?

I have all of these children listed in this research. However, the only children with certainty are Betty and Molly.
Note: Jeff Clark has John Shackelford and Mary Livingston listed as Richard's parents. This is where I sway in my thinking. If someone thinks I am in error, as I'm sure there are those that will, please don't write me and tell me I'm wrong without proof.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kenny shackleford 27 Aug 2006 12:35AM GMT 
frostfreedet 23 Feb 2009 3:31PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions