Search for content in message boards

William and Elizabeth (Lawton) Shaw - 1800s in Manchester, England

Replies: 0

William and Elizabeth (Lawton) Shaw - 1800s in Manchester, England

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shaw, Lawton
William Shaw and Elizabeth (aka Betty or Betsey) Lawton are my 3rd great grandparents on my Dad's side. We have a record indicating that William (believed to have been born about 1780) and Elizabeth (believed to have been born about 1788) were married at Collegiate Church (Manchester Cathedral) on July 3, 1808. In addition, the 1895 obituary for their son, John, indicates that he was born in Manchester on March 3, 1809, approximately eight months after his parents' marriage. After having four more children (Robert, Mary, Hannah and William, Jr.), the Shaws emigrated to Connecticut in the mid-1820, where they had a third daughter, Ann. In the late 1820s, they moved to Knox County, Ohio, where they had two more children, Joseph and Martha. William Sr.'s 1870 Knox County, Ohio census entry indicates that he was a retired wool carder. His son, John, was also involved in wool manufacturing during his working years, and reportedly was associated in this business with a cousin named John Winterbothem. I'm hoping that this information might be of interest to other researchers, as well as connect us with someone with information regarding our long-lost family members. In particular, we would appreciate any help in documenting William and Elizabeth's birth dates and parents. We hope to hear from someone soon, thanks in advance for your help!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions