Search for content in message boards

Lula T (possibly Taliqua) Shaw ( 1869 - 1946) Georgia

Replies: 0

Lula T (possibly Taliqua) Shaw ( 1869 - 1946) Georgia

Posted: 3 Jan 2014 11:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 May 2014 2:26PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, King, Kirkman
Looking for information on Lula's parents and possible Native American lineage. Lula's death certificate lists her parents as J (possibly Jalen or Jalus ~ record is smudged) Shaw and Marry Hancock. On census reports, she and her parents were born in Georgia. Lula was born 14 April, 1869. She married William "Bill" Silas King in 1890 possibly in Indian Territory, OK as their son James Newton was born 1892 in Indian Territory, OK. Daughter, Bertha Ann, was born in Quinlan, TX 1894. 1900 census shows William, Lula, Jim and Bertha in Freestone County, Texas. Daughter Lucy Ellen (my grandmother) born 1900 in Tyler, TX and daughter Stella Gertrude born 1903 in Tyler, TX. Records indicate that William died 9 Feb, 1904 possibly in Tyler, TX. Lula and children are found on the 1910 census in Hunt County, TX.

Family lore has it that Lula was of Cherokee or Choctaw lineage. My grandmother was afraid to be truthful about her heritage and lied about her ethnicity on census reports. A cousin reportedly went to Oklahoma and found records supporting the Native American link but I have not been unable to verify.

Find a board about a specific topic