Search for content in message boards

Shields: Staten Island, Manhattan & Brooklyn, NY- 1700-1800's

Replies: 6

Shields: Staten Island, Manhattan & Brooklyn, NY- 1700-1800's

Posted: 31 Oct 2001 12:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jul 2002 10:32AM GMT
Surnames: Shields, Merrell, Merrel, Merrill, Merril, Salmon, Thompson, Meyers, Howard, Hooker, Campbell, Maxwell,
This is an update of previous postings, complete with much new information:

Looking for Shields connections from Staten Island, (Richmond County), Brooklyn, and Manhattan, New York/NYC
from 1700's to late 1800's.

Interested in any early Shields and allied families from this area/era that may have connections to the following:

I). Thomas and Ann Shields: present in 1800 and 1810 Richmond County Federal Census- look to have had 5 daughters and one son. Have the name of one daughter, Catherine, who married an Edward Merrel (merrell ?, merrill ?) in 1826- Dutch Reformed Church. Catherine Shields Merrel lived in Castleton, Staten Island until the 1870's. Son was probably Thomas Shields jr. Ann may have re-married and remained on Staten Island (possibly to a Francis Salmon?). I'm trying to locate birthplaces for Thomas and Ann- Thomas is not present in earlier Staten Island census records. He may have been from out of this area.

2). Thomas and Eliza (Thompson?) Shields: Thomas died before 1850. Eliza and their children are present in the 1850 Manhattan (7th Ward) census with a Margaret Thompson (69 years old, widow, possibly born in Mass.) the children are: James L. (21), Eliza Jane (19), Thomas H.(17), Margaret A. (14), Sarah L. (12), Robert M. (10), Cynthia (7) and Elisha (5). Eliza appears in the 1870 Staten Island census at 59 yrs. old (with son Robert M. Shields and daughter Eliza Jane- 39 yrs.) enumerated with a Henry Meyers, who was Eliza Jane's husband. That Family later moved to Mass. (by 1900 census) and probably all remained there.

III). Thomas H. shows up in the 1860 NYC census (9th ward) with wife Annie (21) and daughter Kate (2). May have later lived Arizona for a period of time.

III). James L. (or James M.) Shields (b.1829) married Anna A. Unknown. Their children in the 1900 Brooklyn Census: Anna (or Annie) (26), Sarah L.( or "Sadie") (22), and Mildred E. (became Mildred Howard) (24), and Edward A. (19). Annie and Sarah probably didn't marry. Funeral records indicate that James L. died in Brooklyn, but is buried (with all family but son Edward) at Fairview Cemetery on Staten Island. This family also appears in the 1870 Richmond County census.

III). Robert M. Shields (b. 1840) married Jane Hooker in 1870 (parents: Stephen Hooker and Christina Campbell). Stephen was from Kent, England and Christina from Scotland. Their children: Robert M. Jr. (b. 1871), Jane (b. apx. 1874), and Estelle (b. apx. 1880). This family lived on Staten Island. Both Robert M. Sr. and Wife Jane died relatively young. Estelle went to live with above Meyers relatives in Worchester, Mass. I have information on the present day lines of Robert M. Shields Jr. I lose Jane at this point- she was probably sent to live with relatives as well. I also have some further information on the Hooker family.

Robert M., James L. (aka James Maxwell) and probably Thomas H., were all Civil war vetrans- all served New York.

Most of the families above look to be connected to the Castleton or Northfield area of Staten Island, NY. With ties to Park Baptist Church or North Baptist Church in present-day Port Richmond as well as Fairview Cemetery, where many are buried.

There were numerous other Shields families in the NYC area that emmigrated from Ireland during the mid to late 1800's. This family does not appear to be one of them and was more likely related to colonial era Shields that sporadically appear in old NYC records. Also, any pre-1850 Shields from Staten Island are probably related to this line.

Any help would be welcomed!

I'll continue to update as my research continues...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BCullinan0515 31 Oct 2001 7:43PM GMT 
metzler98 19 Dec 2001 5:54AM GMT 
BCullinan0515 19 Dec 2001 7:12PM GMT 
EstaBrayton 24 Feb 2009 8:27PM GMT 
oldnyc 26 Feb 2009 4:42PM GMT 
EstaBrayton 1 Mar 2009 10:00PM GMT 
rickg1949 30 Apr 2010 10:14PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic