Search for content in message boards

Singleton Republic of Texas

Replies: 26

Re: Singleton Republic of Texas

Posted: 22 Dec 2006 10:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes, there are definelty two George W Singleton. We can find no definitive proof that the younger George W Singleton is the son of George Washington Singleton and Sarah Lusk. Other than the fact that the Handbook of Texas assumes he is. And where some of the first couple of lineages list him on their Daughters of the Republic of Texas. I am still trying to match up my George Washington Singleton. I have gathered and figured and still can't place his father. Heres what I have come up with.

Documents I do have are land grants, George Washington Singleton married to Sarah Lusk and probate papers to the fact.

I am interested in the younger George Washington Singleton who married Elizabeth Harbour. If anyone has
anything to add to any of these families I would appreciate it as I have been looking going on 10 years.

George Washington Singleton (2) married to Elizabeth Harbour. Received land grant from Mexico in January 1832. Stating he had been resident for 8 years. Making arrival in Texas in 1823/1824. Elizabeth is born in July 21, 1804 in Christian, KY. In land grant George states that he is 25 years born appx 1807. But he states Elizabeth as being 24 making the above date in correct. Has one child. Soon after a son name John is born. Has daughter named Marietta. She marries Thomas Ruffin Brown. Do not have date of death for George W Singlelton. I have heard stories connected killed by Indians and buried on the Brazos River.

George Washington Singleton (SR) married to Sarah (Sally or Salle) Lusk. Died at Gonzales Texas (Guadaupe River) mill killed by Indians in December,1830. Will list wife Sarah Lusk, son Amos,daughter Marcella. Will says they had
more but are dead. Will still doesn't match the 1826 Texas census.

Sarah Lusk was the daughter of Samuel Lusk and Elizabeth Whiteside. Named in father’s will as Sarah Singleton in Amite County MS. George and Sally married in Adams Co. Ms on May 20, 1808 Sally born July 9, 1795. Had brother named
Amos. Don’t believe her birthdate is correct,she would have only been 13 when married.

Ann Whiteside born about 1750 married Richard Singleton. Mary Ann Whiteside was the daughter of William Whiteside and Elizabeth (Betsy) Stockton. Daughter named in will. Had a sister named Sarah (Sally)Whiteside. Ann was the
sister of Davis Whiteside, whose daughter Elizabeth married Samuel Lusk. Parents of Sarah (Sally) who married George Washington Singleton. Ann was the sister
of Francis W Whitesides whose daughter Lucinda married Spyers Singleton in KY. Court records show guardianship on one of the youngest sons.

Ann and Richard had a daughter Luvina who married William Whiteside. They were in Texas by 1824.

Ann and Richard also had sons named Philip Singleton born about 1787 and Washington Singleton born about 1789.

Luvina and William Whiteside had a daughter named Nancy who married Josuha Parker in Texas in 1828.

Elizabeth Whiteside had a sister named Ann.

Phillip Singleton married to Susannah Walker. Marcella and Amos are sometimes named as the children of Phillip and Susannah instead of George and Sally. 1826 Texas census does not match up to number of children Philip has even
including the number who did not move to Texas with them at that time. Philip was apparently another victim of Indians as he went off hunting one day from their
property out of Harris County and never returned. Family stories that the dog came home with an arrow. Body apparently never found. I can’t find will.

Susannah Walker daughter of James Walker and Catherine Miller.

James Walker and Catherine Miller had a daughter named Catherine who married Robert Singleton in KY

Spyars Singleton married Lucinda Whiteside on April 30, 1809 in KY. This family later moved to Indiana after Spyars death, Lucinda moved to AR and lived with brother.

Phillip Singleton and family plus the Walker family stopped in AR before moving to Texas.

I believe that all of these Singletons are related. What leaves me to believe that the younger son is not George Washington and Sarah Lusk son, no mention in GW will, younger George did not receive land until after the elder GW is dead. No mention in Sarahs will for two grandchildren John and Marietta. Younger George land grant in Washington and Brazos counties where elder George land grant in Wharton, several counties away. My belief is my younger George W Singleton is closer related to the KY Singletons, perhaps younger brother or nephew of Phillip.

In 1810 there is a Spyars Singleton and Washington Singleton in MS on census.

Phillip Singleton and Susannah had a son named Spyars.

James W. Singleton son of Phillip and Susannah had a son named Spyars.

Records show that James Whiteside was the executor for the George W. Singleton estate. Records show that Isham Phillips and George W. Singleton were partners. Records show that the estate auction for George W. Singleton was held at Philip Singletons home.

We know by 1837, our George Washington Singleton is dead as William Fairfax Gray Diary indicates, he also says, her maiden name was Harbor or Harbough. That her mother, two brothers and three children were living together. After
leaving her place, Gray goes to James Walker. Elizabeth Harbour Singleton remarried to Willaby Boatright.

If you have any other records or stories I would love to hear about them.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pamkincaid42 15 Jan 2006 11:19PM GMT 
svanwyk46 13 Dec 2006 1:12AM GMT 
pamkincaid42 15 Dec 2006 2:47PM GMT 
svanwyk46 15 Dec 2006 5:32PM GMT 
pamkincaid42 22 Dec 2006 5:53PM GMT 
amafrandsen 9 Mar 2010 1:07AM GMT 
pamkincaid42 23 Mar 2010 8:13PM GMT 
amafrandsen 30 Mar 2010 11:22PM GMT 
pamkincaid42 9 Apr 2010 7:37PM GMT 
amafrandsen 10 Apr 2010 6:52PM GMT 
per page