Search for content in message boards

Hiram Sizemore

Replies: 14

Re: Hiram Sizemore

Myra Sizemore (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2006 12:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
It is highly likely that we share this ancestry. Hiram was a long-time family name going back at least a couple of generations, that we can be certain, in terms of documentation through court records showing proximity of the Sizemores. We, as a large group of family researchers, also have shared oral tradition that these early Sizemore's, from at least 1700, were all within George All's family, his ancestors. I'll have to look at my list of George All and Agnes' that I have as their given and accurate children. They had quite a few, but so did my grandfather B.A. Sizemore and his father Elhannon Sizemore. They had at least as many as George All and his wife, Ages. Uncle Jefferson Farmer Sizemore's b: 1909, passion of his life from about my age, and I'm getting close to my 60's, was interviewing our very old people and getting down all the "facts" that he could about our very early family oral traditions. He said that Agnes was identified just as Indian by our family, with no mention of any other heritage. I've noticed there was a group of Indians called Sherpers (I probably did not spelling that correctly). Just a thought, but my take on possibly who her early people might have been. I've read that George All lived in both the white man's and the indian's world. One very old timer was quoted as saying he and his family traveled back and forth and back and worth. Where and how far would be a question we will never absolutely see answered, but possibly with DNA will we someday know more, That is if DNA researchers allow for the possibility that we are part of more far reaching families.

I've encountered what feels like extreme negativity, and what feels to me like a bias against our people of the SE KY region. I've encountered that all my life and even a preceived hint, real or imagined on my part, is not a fun thing for this child of strong minded and blooded SE KY ancestors, a child from those strong minded and strong blooded pioneers.

There was a French sociologists, then just seen as an observer, a writer, who very early came through these mountains. I think he was here during the Jacksonian era or even earlier - have to look that up in a history text from college days. He said, loosely quoted, that upon entering one of our little cabins here in this region, often authors like Homer could be found among other volumes of classical literature. He said he found an abundance of reading material, including newspapers of recent times. He said many of our ancestors could converse extremely intelligently on many subjects. One other early observer, quoted in a history of Pineville by a previous superintendent of schools there from around the turn of the century, 1900, said that we were not just among the best of human beings that could be found, but that we were examples of the greatest of men - and women, I might add.

Who were those early settlers, our families? Needless to say they came from "excellent stock", as my father's wife once said. They married quite late in life. They had been childhood sweethearts in the Red Bird region of Bell county, Pineville area, of Kentucky. Her family was early in also, but were Mether's. I haven't had a chance to check yet, but I feel they had a different migration pattern into our region, and probably no integration into the more indigenous families. They moved on to Oregon before WWII. Dad looked her up and married her there in about 1980.

Many came down from the Ohio Valley, through Fayette county, and on into our region. I believe my Combs family and Murphy family may have married into families immigrating from that direction. My elderly step mother was very refined and well educated, as was my Indian-looking father, Ray Sizemore b: 1921, one of the youngest of his siblings. His father was B.A. Sizemore and his mother was Sarah Knuckles Sizemore, also so refined, in her pioneer-stye existence and religious simplicity.

Grandmother Knuckles Sizemore's family ancestor's are at least as exciting as "our" Sizemore family. Many of her Asher, Bingham, Depriest, Slusher family also married Sizemores. I have several Asher/Sizemore ancestors, all coming from Dillion Asher b: abt 1800. He had a number of wives and women. I am descended from several of them.

I'm having such a wonderful time methodically putting this all together. I too have a research background. but this is, without a doubt, the best time of my life.

Yes, I am sensitive to any bias against allowing us to claim our heritage, and there are those who stubbornly are resisting us, always saying we have no proof. Apparently neither do they, without more DNA testing. Their minds are shut. I've received several empathic NO!'s, we do not qualify. Literally put that way. I have a Sizemore brother. I realize my DNA would not be needed.

We are clearly from these early families of distinction, and possibly other more widely flung Sizemore's. We were inter-marrying all the way back to Jamestown. We migrated together into this region.

I've discovered in our family ancestry over and over marrying - and divorcing - within the families that some try to deny us, as well as a clear migration pattern, seen through locations of births, deaths and marriages. It's simply getting on my nerves, as from those who have long-time been considered intelligent and strong.

Please let me hear from you to: msings@bellsouth.net

Myra Sizemore
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Andrea Sizemore 28 Feb 2006 5:29PM GMT 
Myra Sizemore 28 Feb 2006 7:52PM GMT 
Andrea Sizemore 28 Feb 2006 10:00PM GMT 
Myra Sizemore 1 Mar 2006 2:36AM GMT 
Myra Sizemore 1 Mar 2006 5:18AM GMT 
Jeanette Spears 15 Mar 2006 2:48PM GMT 
Andrea Sizemore 15 Mar 2006 9:55PM GMT 
msings_1 18 Mar 2006 10:05PM GMT 
Maranda Lovej... 26 Jun 2014 5:45AM GMT 
almarcum 2 Jul 2006 1:19AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions