I am trying to determine if the following two men are one in the same?
VIAR SJURSEN born in Skaanevig, Norway 1812
* son of Sjur Bjornesson & Ales Viarsdatter Ytre Matre
* immigration around 1846 with sister Agota Sjursdatter (b. 1814)
* wrote home to Norway in 1856 from Kendall County, Illinois to check on father and stepmother
WEIR SJURSEN WEEKS born in Norway 24 Oct 1812
* married on 27 Dec 1842 in Norway
* wife: Synneva T. Lunde/Sunde (b. 1810) in Norway
* died in 1900 and buried at Helmar Lutheran Cemetery, Kendall County, Illinois
If they are the same man, does any one know why the surname Weeks was adopted?
Or what became of sister Agota?
Siblings Viar & Agota are uncle and aunt to my great great grandfather Bertinius Severson (1856-1940) who emigrated in 1874 from Norway to South Dakota. I have a family portrait containing parents along with 7 daughters and 2 sons that was taken in Clark, SD. I received the portrait from the grandson of Bertinius and suspect the family to be a Severson relative. Have had no luck matching the family thus far and am wondering if they might be a cousin’s family in the Severson line ---possibly Agota and her husband or one of Viar’s children and their family???
Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!