Search for content in message boards

Skinners of Cleveland Ohio Area

Replies: 6

Re: Skinners of Cleveland Ohio Area

Posted: 9 Sep 2007 8:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Skinner, Lord, Bigelow, Burnam
Ichabod Lord Skinner of Independence, Ohio, was the grandson of Deacon David Skinner of Marlborough, CT, a revolutionary war veteren, born 1743 in Colchester, CT, and died in 1814 in Geneseo, NY. This summer he (David) recieved a new headstone from the SAR. I can tell you what ever you need to know about this family going back to Hartford in 1635 with the Thomas Hooker party, but I don't know too much about Ichabod's descendents, except that his son David, a prosperous dairy farmer, was murdered in his bed by a brazen gang of home invaders. Ichabod's first wife was Nancy M. Bigelow and the second was Caroline Burnam. The US Census suggests that he had two more sons than you listed, one Prentice B. and another Homer.

Some genealogists confuse this Ichabod Lord Skinner with his uncle of the same name, who was first a preacher, second a lawyer, and third a government contractor building canals and roads. One died in 1851 and the other in 1852. I think it was the Bigelow Genealogy that first made the mistake, wrongly stating that Nancy Bigelow married the uncle as his second wife. Both Ichabods' fathers were named David Skinner. And both Davids (Jr and Sr) married daughters of Epaphras Lord (Jr and Sr). The Lord Genealogy got it wrong, too.

Are you a descendant?

Tom Stewart
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tjordan211 15 Jun 2007 6:59PM GMT 
THStew 9 Sep 2007 2:27PM GMT 
seekerJay 25 Sep 2007 3:26AM GMT 
THStew 29 Sep 2007 8:28PM GMT 
aaroneyecare 2 Feb 2010 5:12AM GMT 
tjordan211 2 Feb 2010 5:21AM GMT 
Maidley 25 Jul 2013 5:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions