Search for content in message boards

Smith

Replies: 0

Smith

Jerry A. Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2006 3:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Would like to share information on this family. Does anyone have access to cemetery information regarding the burials of Franklin S. and Mary Smith and other family members in Jackson County.

Thanks,
Jerry Taylor

FIRST GENERATION

1. George SMITH1,2,3 was born on 28 February 1794 in Granville, Massachusetts. He died on 25 June 1879 in Jackson County, Georgia. He was a carpenter. He was buried in Thyatira Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Jackson County, GA.

Towns County Deed Book B-154 shows that George Smith sold property to R. S. Patton in 1863.

Mass. Town Birth Records:
George Smith born Feb 28, 1794 in Granville
Mother--Kezia Smith
Father--Jo(h)n

Obituary for Colonel George Smith.
[source: "The Forest News" issue date 15 August 1879]

The 1880 mortality index has a George Smith, age 86, died from unknown causes in June(1879) in Jackson County. He had been a resident for 5 years.

IN MEMORIAM.
Died, near Jefferson, Ga., at the residence of his son, Mr. F. S. Smith, June 25th, 1879, Colonel George Smith, in the 88th year of his age. He was born near Boston, Mass. in 1792, and married to Elizabeth Conger, of Newark, N. J., in Troy, N. Y., in 1815.
He enlisted as a soldier in the war of 1812, but being a fine mechanic, was detailed to work on the United States arsenal. In 1810 the first pledge of love (a daughter) was given him near Richmond, Va., after which he moved to Greenville, East Tennessee, where he raised a family of 9 children-all becoming members, and 4 of them Elders, of the Presbyterian church. Two of his sons, Col. Sumner J. Smith and Major H. H. Smith, gave their lives as a sacrifice to the "Lost Cause." The former dying from disease contracted in the army, and the other being killed at the battle of the Wilderness.
For over half a century he had been an Elder of the Presbyterian church, an active member of prayer meetings and Sabbath-schools, making the Bible his almost daily study for many years. He was a member of the Georgia Legislature during the war, and almost perfectly familiar with the political and religious history of the country for 50 years.
His aged companion was only 3 years younger and for three-score years has shared with him life's joys and sorrows, a devoted member of the same church. After many years affliction, she died in 1874, and side by side they now sleep at Thyatira grave-yard, to await the coming of him who so long held them in the hollow of His hand.
They had survived all of their children but three sons. Of these, one was far away on the Northern lakes, one guarding the hold [old?] homestead, while the other watched with the tenderest solicitude by the bedside of a suffering wife and tender babe when the angel of death was nigh.
He was eminently ripe for Heaven; for to him and his beloved wife, His promise was fulfilled who said, "Thou shalt come to thy grave in full age, like a shock of corn cometh in its season.
E. E. E.
Northeastern Progress please copy.

[There are no Smith monuments shown at Thyatira Presbyterian Church cemetery in Jackson County. They may rest in unmarked graves.]

He was married to Elizabeth CONGER in 1815 in Troy, New York. Elizabeth CONGER was born in 1796 in New Jersey. She died in 1874 in Jackson County, Georgia. She was buried in Thyatira Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Jackson County, GA. George SMITH and Elizabeth CONGER had the following children:

+2 i. Col. Sumner J. SMITH (born on 29 November 1823).
3 ii. Stephen SMITH was born in 1825 in Tennessee.

He was listed as idiot in the 1850 census of Greene County, Tennessee.

+4 iii. Franklin S. SMITH (born in 1830).
5 iv. William SMITH was born in 1831 in Tennessee. He was a carpenter.
+6 v. Harriett N. SMITH (born on 10 June 1837).
+7 vi. Maj. Harrison H. SMITH (born in 1841).
8 vii. George E. SMITH died before 1869.

SECOND GENERATION

2. Col. Sumner J. SMITH1 was born on 29 November 1823 in Tennessee. He died on 18 April 1869 in Banks County, Georgia. He was buried in Hebron Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Banks County, Georgia.

Beginning as the 'First Georgia Partisan Rangers,' on May 21, 1862, this unit's name was changed on July 1, 1862, to 'Smith's Legion, Georgia Partisan Rangers.' The unit consisted of a Cavalry and Infantry Battalion. For a time, it was under the command of Col. Sumner J. Smith (1823-1869)

Smith, Sumner J. -- Colonel. Elected Colonel of Smith's Legion, Ga. Vols., May 21, 1862. Transferred to the 65th Regt. Ga. Inf., Mar. 1863. Tendered resignation Mar. 9, 1863. Resignation Accepted Apr. 27, 1863.

Towns County deed records show that the executors of S. J. Smith were selling his Towns County property beginning in 1870 and on through 1893. Purchasers included William H. Groves, R. L. J. Smith, C. T. Wooding, Jno. C. McConnell, R. N. Erwin, Lewis B. Logan, George Trulove, James Benton Puett, William Medaris, Frank Smith, Jno. Quarls, William Patton, Elisha Townsend, W. L. Albright, and George Johnson Sr.

Rev. Groves Harrison Cartledge (1820-1899) of Madison County, GA was executor of Col. Sumner J. Smith's will.

Abstracted records re Sumner J. Smith, Banks County, Georgia.

Source: The History of Banks County Georgia, by Jessie Julia Mize, published 1977 by Banks County Chamber of Commerce

Deed Book A, page 245 - Banks County, GA
3 Nov. 1863-Groves H. Cartledge and David P. Freeman, Administrator of the Estate of John Freeman, late of Banks Co. to Sumner J. Smith of Towns Co.; "notice published in Southern Banner, Athens, Ga."; $10,400.00; 1,254 3/4 A. Of land; "land partly in Banks and partly in Madison Co. Whereon John Freeman resided at the time of his death."
Wit.: S. W. Pruitt, J. P., Washington J. Burgess, J. P.

Wills Probated 1858-1879, Banks County, Georgia-
page 149-Dated 8 Jan. 1869-Sumner J. Smith, "feeble health," $4,000.00 in gold due me for sale of homestead in Towns County be invested, to be used for education of my minor son, Robert Lee Jewel, and all other children that may be born to me. Remainder, is any be equally divided between wife Catherine Matilda, and all my children. All property appraised and divided allowing wife's share to include homestead in Banks County. My daughter, Mary E. Warne, if she contract future marriage, to give her equal share with other children. My law library and gold watch to my only son. My wild lands, interests in gold, copper and other minerals remain under discretion of executors for sale. If no heirs of my body remain, to heirs of brother George E. Smith, deceased, brother Vanranselear [sic] Smith, Franklin S. Smith, and Franklin Jewel Erwin, only child of deceased sister, Harriet N. Erwin, and Henry Smith, only son of deceased brother Henry H. Smith. Executors: wife, Catherine Matilda Smith, brother Franklin S. Smith and Rev. Groves H. Cartledge.
Wit: Edward J. Wade, Asa A. Chandler, W. B. J. Hardman.
Probated January 1869.

He was married to Catherine Matilda ERWIN (daughter of Robert Houston ERWIN and Elmira BERRY). Catherine Matilda ERWIN3 was born in 1836 in Burke County, North Carolina. She died on 20 January 1909 in Jackson County, Georgia. She was buried in Hebron Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Banks County, Georgia.

Catherine Smith was enumerated in the 1870 census of Banks County, GA.

Her household consisted of herself, 41
Jewel L. Smith, 5
George Smith, 77 (her father-in-law)
Elizabeth Smith, 73 (her mother-in-law)
Mary E. Warne, 25 (probably her daughter)
and Ida Little, 13 (domestic servant)

Death Notice of Mrs. Catherine Erwin Smith

The Constitution, Atlanta, Jan. 26, 1909.
Commerce, Ga., Jan. 25, 1909-
Mrs. Smith [Catherine Erwin Smith], mother of Colonel R. L. J. Smith [Robert Lee Jewel Smith], of this place, died here yesterday and was buried at Hebron church today. The funeral service was conducted by Rev. J. D. McPhail. Mrs. Smith was 80 years of age, and had been in feeble health for some time.

Note-Catherine Erwin Smith was the widow of Colonel Sumner J. Smith of Smith's Legion, Georgia Partisan Rangers, Army of Tennessee, renamed in 1863 the 65th Volunteer Infantry Regiment of Georgia, C. S. A. Sumner J. Smith is also buried at Hebron Presbyterian Church , Banks County, Georgia.

Transcribed 2006 by Jacqueline King
Col. Sumner J. SMITH and Catherine Matilda ERWIN had the following children:

+9 i. Mary E. SMITH (born in 1845).
10 ii. Robert Lee Jewel SMITH was born in 1865 in Georgia.

4. Franklin S. SMITH1,4,5 was born in 1830 in Tennessee.

The family was enumerated in the 1880 census of Jackson County, GA.

In addition to the immediate family, also residing in the household were house servant Nancy E. Smith, 38 (cook), house servant Sarah Smith, 9, and "currier" John Mc Avoy, 41 born in Ireland.

He was married to Mary Ann ERWIN (daughter of Robert Houston ERWIN and Elmira BERRY). Mary Ann ERWIN was born in 1840 in Burke County, North Carolina. Franklin S. SMITH and Mary Ann ERWIN had the following children:

11 i. Ella E. E. SMITH was born about 1861 in Georgia.
+12 ii. Dr. Sumner J. SMITH (born in 1863).
13 iii. William H. F. SMITH was born in 1865 in Georgia.
+14 iv. George Erwin SMITH (born on 12 May 1873).

6. Harriett N. SMITH was born on 10 June 1837 in Tennessee. She died on 24 September 1857 in Union County, Georgia. She was buried in Old Union Cemetery, Young Harris, Georgia.

She was married to James Calvin ERWIN (son of Robert Houston ERWIN and Elmira BERRY) on 11 December 1856 in Towns County, Georgia. James Calvin ERWIN6,7,8,9 was born on 14 June 1834 in Burke County, North Carolina. He died on 8 January 1924 in Ringgold, Catoosa County, Georgia. He was buried in Old Union Cemetery, Young Harris, Georgia. Harriett N. SMITH and James Calvin ERWIN had the following children:

+15 i. Franklin Jewel ERWIN (born on 15 September 1857).

7. Maj. Harrison H. SMITH was born in 1841 in Tennessee. He died in the Civil War.

Maj. Harrison H. SMITH had the following children:

16 i. Henry SMITH .

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions