Search for content in message boards

George Washington Smith, b. PA, later in Minnesota

Replies: 0

George Washington Smith, b. PA, later in Minnesota

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Isaacson
I have been having the hardest time with my Smith line, and after having tried everything I can think of (and still engaged in some long shots), am hoping someone else may be researching the same line.

My George Washington Smith was born sometime between 1847 and 1852 in Pennsylvania, supposedly Scranton, which wasn't incorporated until 1856.

He eventually moved to Minnesota, where he married Kate (Catherine) Isaacson (from Finland, where her name had been Kaisa Matlena Kivela. She was born in 1858 to Peter and Anna.

George and Kate's children were Anna May, William Henry, Florence, Elizabeth, George Matthew, Pearl L, Frank John, Minnie B, Mabel E, and my g-grandmother, Myrtle K.

I can't find evidence of George and Kate's marriage, whether their son William and daughter Elizabeth were born in Canada or Minnesota, or anything about George before 1880. George's parents were supposed to be from England, according to his death cert., William R. and an unknown mother. I had been pretty convinced that I found George with his parents William R. and Mary C. in Carlton County, MN, nearest Twin Lakes, in the 1860 Census, but after searching high and low for the family in any other census, immigration, or vital records, I can't find these folks anywhere. Now I'm doubting whether this Smith family in the 1860 Census is indeed *my* Smith family.

I am currently researching two families associated with the Smiths (one of George's daughters married into one and George's son William went to live with the other after George and Kate died) in vain hope of finding the Smiths somewhere nearby, but am not optimistic.

tl;dr: I am hoping to find information on George Washington Smith's birth, supposedly in Pennsylvania, 1847-1852, records of his marriage and whether two children were born in Canada, and when his parents (likely William R. and maybe Mary, both from England) immigrated, and to trace this family back through the census.

Thanks in advance for any help or information!
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic