Search for content in message boards

Moses Smith (1748-aft 1830 Buncombe NC)

Replies: 0

Moses Smith (1748-aft 1830 Buncombe NC)

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 9:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Tidmore,Boyd
I am seeking information on old Moses Smith who lived in SC but migrated to Buncombe by 1820 from Pendleton or Newberry.Probable close kin: Jeremiah,Joseph, William and James. Jeremiah (1773-1862 Etowah Co Ala)who married Mary Tidmore of Newberry SC matched our Smith line DNA (but I think he was an uncle of my GG Grandfather) Possibly we are through Joseph Smith living next to old Moses in Buncombe. Thomas Harrison Smith my Great Great Grandfather was born in 1826 SC and named his first son, my great grandfather William Joseph, William for the father of his wife.**The 1880 census states both parents of Thomas Harrison Smith were born in SC. Since Jeremiah Smith who matches our Smith DNA, was born in 1773 SC, his parents had to have been living in SC during this period.
I have a list of possibilities age 45 and over from Pendleton SC 1800, since Jeremiah was listed in 1830 Pickens. SC and old Moses was listed with Jeremiah and Joseph in 1820 Buncombe. John,William.Moses,Thomas,Joseph,Eliazer,David,Benjamin,Alexander.
Joseph, Moses, and Jeremiah were listed in 1820 Buncombe side by side as neighbors.
According to old family records and census: Moses Smith Jr was a brother of Thomas Harrison Smith. During the years 1840-1850, Moses Smith Jr. was living in Pickens Co SC. Living with his family was John Boyd, age 24, in 1850 and between the ages of 10-15 in 1840. I have information from Boyd descendants that John Boyd was the son of wife Mary and her first husband Robert Boyd, jr. Robert died a year or so before Mary married Moses Smith Jr.
Moses Smith Jr, wife Mary (who was several years older) and daughters migrated from Pickens Co SC to Cherokee Co Ga between the years 1850-60All his children were born in SC.: Charlotte Catherine (Hardin) (1828),Amanda Adaline (1831),Mary A(1833),Ruriah Anne(1841) and Sarah Jane(1843)
In 1860,(Moses with same wife and children as 1850 Pickens Co SC.)was living next door to James Smith age 67 b. SC, in Conns Creek Cherokee Co Ga., who I am sure was a relative, possibly an uncle or older brother. James was already living in Cherokee Co. in 1850, listed as a blacksmith.
James' wife, Elizabeth died between 1850-60 and his daughter in law or daughter Elizabeth Smith, who was living with him and wife Elizabeth in the 1850 census for Cherokee had moved to another section of Cherokee Co, by 1860. She had a son WilliamMoses enlisted as a private at Shiloa,Ga in the Cherokee Legion/Company D Infantry on August 13, 1863. (Also known as The Cherokee Raiders) On January 22, 1864, he was listed as AWOL. Those who enlisted with him were: James b. 1793 / SC, and my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Harrison Smith, b 1825, also from SC. I ordered their service records,
By 1870, he and his wife Mary Boyd and same daughters as 1860 census for Cherokee Co Ga. were living next door to my great great Grandfather Thomas Harrison Smith and his family on Yellow Creek Road Dawson County Ga once Lumpkin. I found deeds of Dawson County Ga where both were listed together.
By 1880, he was listed as a widower, living with his daughters who never married. He is still living at Yellow Creek Dawson Co next door to my GG Grandfather Thomas Harrison Smith. He was a tax collector for Dawson County.There is no record that Moses re-married in any census. Also, both his parents were born in SC.
He died before 1900.
This information was recorded in later census records: In 1900, Amanda Adaline, Mary A., Rurie Ann and Sarah Jane same daughters of Moses are still living next door to my Thomas Harrison Smith and family. Living with them is Jane Hardin, niece, Since Charlotte Catherine seems to be the only daughter who married,(William R. Hardin) I would think this person is her granddaughter and the grand- niece of the sisters. She was born in 1878 and Charlotte was born in 1837.
In 1910, we find Jane Hardin is now the head of the household and only (Rurie) Ann Smith, single,is listed of the remaining sisters. The other sisters are dead or living somewhere else. Also listed in this household is Texie Smith, "Aunt", and "Cousin" Clifton Smith who is actually My GG Aunt Texie Smith Bailey, d/o Thomas Harrison Smith and her son Clifton Bailey. The ages match those of Texie Smith Bailey and her son, Clifton. Any help appreciated on Old Moses Smith b 1745 living in Pendleton or Newberry SC/Buncombe NC

Find a board about a specific topic