Search for content in message boards

William/BW Smith in Knox County Kentucky - need help

Replies: 0

William/BW Smith in Knox County Kentucky - need help

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 4:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
I need help trying to locate the FIRST wife of B.W./William Smith. He was born in 1866 and died in 1927. His children are listed as follows:

George Smith - b June 22, 1896 Died April 19, 1948 (my great grandfather)
Isaac Smith - b about 1886
Mollie Smith - about 1890
John F Smith - about 1893
Robert Smith - about 1904
Jack Smith - b 8 August 1908 died 1980
John Steward - this is a STEP son - born about 1896

He married his SECOND wife Mary Jane Stewart on April 10 1909. I am assuming that something happened with his first wife between the time Jack was born on August 8th, 1908 and the time he remarried.

My great grandfather's (George) death certificate lists his mother as a Rhoda Smith. I am not sure if her maiden name is actually Smith or if the person filling out the death certificate information didn't know the mother's name so she used the married name.

Jack's death certificate lists his mother as Mary J Smith but that is actually his step mother. I am assuming this is probably the other mother he ever knew.

I have tried researching Kentucky birth records for ALL of the children but the state doesn't keep records before 1911. The archives library is missing several years. The ONLY year they MIGHT have would be when John F was born but I can not locate anything. I have searched marriage records as well as death records with no luck. All of these Smiths were born in Kentucky. Probably Knox or Clay County. George's draft registration card states he was born in Knox County...does anyone have any information on who their bio mother would have been?

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions