Search for content in message boards

Sam and Pink SMITH family of GREENVILLE/SPARTANBURG, SC (Black/Catawba/Cherokee Indian)

Replies: 0

Sam and Pink SMITH family of GREENVILLE/SPARTANBURG, SC (Black/Catawba/Cherokee Indian)

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 9:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Mar 2013 9:38AM GMT
Surnames: Smith
I am researching the Smith branch of my family who were based in Greenville and Spartanburg Counties of South Carolina from the early 1800's and likely before. These family members, my 2nd and 3rd great-grandfathers, are likely of black and Indian ancestry, mixed with Catawba and Cherokee blood, freedmen who lived along trading routes with no links to slavery.

Here are the family members I am searching for more information on:

Sam Smith: b. circa 1820 in SC

Harriet Smith: wife of Sam Smith, no birth date, born in SC.

Pink (Pinkney) Smith: son of Sam and Harriet Smith, b. Mar 7, 1847 in Spartanburg or Greenville county, d. Apr. 7, 1938. He was famous for making a speech on the Greenville County courthouse steps, date and topic unknown. Had 3 sons: Nathaniel, Robert and Thomas Smith.

Maria Smith: wife of Pink Smith, no birth date, born in SC.

I am particularly looking for the birthplaces, birth dates and parents of Sam, Harriet and Maria Smith. However, any information about the first settlers of Greenville and Spartanburg in the early 1800's would be helpful. Thanks for reading!

The attached photos are of my 2nd great-grandfather Pink (Pinkney) Smith and a map of Cherokee and Catawba trading routes around the Greenville and Spartanburg areas.
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions