Search for content in message boards

Absalom Smith and Elizabeth Tomlinson

Replies: 0

Absalom Smith and Elizabeth Tomlinson

Posted: 18 Aug 2013 12:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Tomlinson
I've had to go back in my tree and do a little cleaning up on this Smith/Tomlinson side. Back in the days when I first started my genealogy hunt, I was in the bad habit of just pulling whatever info I found from other people's trees into my own, without bothering with making sure dates match, sources were present, etc. I'm sure you've heard that story before.

But if you're researching the Absalom Smith and Elizabeth Tomlinson side, I need a little help. I had it that Absalom Sessions Smith was married to Sarah Elizabeth Tomlinson (d/o John Tomlinson and Zilpha Register.) My grandmother's family Bible shows Absalom Smith (died in the Civil War) married to Elizabeth "Betsy" Tomlinson.

After going through my "old" tree, I fear Absalom "Sessions" Smith isn't the same as my Absalom Smith. A. S. Smith, in an 1860 census, was married to a Sarah and had several children. In an 1860 census, I found Elizabeth Tomlinson living at home with her parents, and three "Smith" children living with them: John, Zilpha and Martha. (John would be my 2nd Great Grandfather). The latest census that I have found with Elizabeth Smith was in 1920 Hillsborough, Fl living with her daughter Zilpha. This would sound right considering the majority of my grandma's side is from that area.

As for Absalom, it is difficult to narrow the many census down to one to figure out which one he is. And why were Elizabeth and the kids living with her parents in 1850. And did he really die in the Civil War? I'm having a difficult time finding anything on his Civil War record.

If anyone has any ideas, input, or maybe just needs to tell me I'm on a completely different track than I should be, then please comment! =-)

It's difficult having the name of "Smith" in your family tree.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions